Olive Python shedding question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettJ

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My 5-6mth old Male olive was in blue 3 weeks ago, he shed half and i asissted his shed with a water bath and a towel rub to remove the top half.
After a feed on Saturday (yesterday) he is in blue today. 2 weeks after last shed.
I cannot comment on previous sheds as i aquired him mid february.

Is this at all unusual?

Thanks.
BJ.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Olives like to grow, and fast!

however sudden back to back sheds can indicate multiple things; They are growing faster than they were before (usually goes hand in hand with a food size/frequency change)
enclosure Too hot ( we had a diamond that was shedding multiple times a month suddenly and put it to the new heat source we had put in prior)
Illness - couldnt tell you what kind of illness, i have just read or been told it can be indication of a health problem.

Olives like to grow, and fast!

however sudden back to back sheds can indicate multiple things; They are growing faster than they were before (usually goes hand in hand with a food size/frequency change)
enclosure Too hot ( we had a diamond that was shedding multiple times a month suddenly and put it to the new heat source we had put in prior)
Illness - couldnt tell you what kind of illness, i have just read or been told it can be indication of a health problem.
Thanks for the reply, Little Barry, the olive is certainly growing even in the short time i have been looking after him he is becoming thicker if not longer, also his temps are 32 -35 hot and cold side 26-27.
I may start to cool the hot side a bit more to say 30-32 given your advice.
He is quite.spritely and super inquisitive usualy checking out what im doing when i change water or cleaning out poop. So i havent seen any indication of being ill.
Unless he is reclusive in shed. As is the case for last few weeks.

Thanks again.

Based on average preferred temperature ranges, I would agree with your decision to back the warm end down to 32. This will help to get the cool end down to 24-25, which is on average where it should be. That aside, is Barry spending a lot more time at one end of the enclosure versus the other? That’s the best indicator of whether your existing temperature gradient is appropriate or needs adjustment.

While the average shedding rate might be around 4 to 8 weeks, some individuals seem to go through a ‘growth spurt’ at times and may shed almost weekly for several weeks. This does not mean they are at all unwell. If they behave normally between sheds - remain active, responsive, with plenty of tongue flicking - then it’s odds on they are healthy and you have nothing to worry about. If they demonstrate a marked change in behaviour, then you start looking for causative factors. From what you describe at present that does not seem to be the case. So relax and enjoy.

Based on average preferred temperature ranges, I would agree with your decision to back the warm end down to 32. This will help to get the cool end down to 24-25, which is on average where it should be. That aside, is Barry spending a lot more time at one end of the enclosure versus the other? That’s the best indicator of whether your existing temperature gradient is appropriate or needs adjustment.

While the average shedding rate might be around 4 to 8 weeks, some individuals seem to go through a ‘growth spurt’ at times and may shed almost weekly for several weeks. This does not mean they are at all unwell. If they behave normally between sheds - remain active, responsive, with plenty of tongue flicking - then it’s odds on they are healthy and you have nothing to worry about. If they demonstrate a marked change in behaviour, then you start looking for causative factors. From what you describe at present that does not seem to be the case. So relax and enjoy.
Regarding where he moves its both sides, he moves around and climbs sleeps on the hot side and cool side.
I think the successive shed may indeed point to a growth spurt as you point out.
Thanks for your reply.
I appreciate it.

As long as the snake has access to a cool 26-27 then the 32 hot end is ok. If the snake is moving around the whole cage the temps are fine. it will chose the temperature it wants. I am concerned about the expression "towel rub" . That could have damaged the skin which could encourage an early shed.

As long as the snake has access to a cool 26-27 then the 32 hot end is ok. If the snake is moving around the whole cage the temps are fine. it will chose the temperature it wants. I am concerned about the expression "towel rub" . That could have damaged the skin which could encourage an early shed.
Ahh yes it was not a rub as such. Poor choice of wording on my behalf. I bathed/soaked him for 15 minutes in tepid water.
With that most of the problem shed was removed in the bath. When i took him out i had a warm and wet flannel towel that i was hodling and lightly ran down his back without pressure . It was enough to remove the rest. I could say it were a swab down?

To be clear no vigorous rubbing occured !

Thanks.
BJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back