Left hubby in charge of frogs while away and he over fed Gerald. Help I’m quite worried :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahlia

Reaction score
Hi all I’m really new here (made this account for this but always read threads). So I went away for 3 days, my partner had 3 jobs just to do their water daily, humidity sprays and feed them once. I have 3 young GTF and Gerald is my favourite yet is also a pig and will stop the other 2 eating before him, hadn’t been much of a issue because I watch them when I feed them and remove him from the terrarium. My partner forgot so put 6 mealworms in a container (he remembered to calcium dust them) and just put the container in there, Gerald’s pigged out MASSIVELY to the point I don’t think the others actually got any. He’s been really fat and round for the past 2 nearly 3 days and is lacking energy and I’m worried he’s gotten EDEMA (forgive me if I spelt it wrong lol). I’ll attach some pics of him currently and before for a comparison in change. Any help will be muchly appreciated, first time owning frogs but always had snakes and lizards so idk if I’m actually just over worrying and thinking or not!

A three day binge eat shouldn't be a problem. Three days without a feed is no big deal for a frog so the others should be fine.

I wouldn't worry about edema. Frogs naturally have periods where they absolutely pig out. Imagine frogs when there's a swarm of insects - locusts or termites or whatever. They absolutely pig out and love it. If it's all day every day for months or years on end you get obese, sick frogs, but just think of it as him having enjoyed a night at an all you can eat buffet. It shouldn't be an issue.

A three day binge eat shouldn't be a problem. Three days without a feed is no big deal for a frog so the others should be fine.

I wouldn't worry about edema. Frogs naturally have periods where they absolutely pig out. Imagine frogs when there's a swarm of insects - locusts or termites or whatever. They absolutely pig out and love it. If it's all day every day for months or years on end you get obese, sick frogs, but just think of it as him having enjoyed a night at an all you can eat buffet. It shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you, it’s just he seems sluggish but I guess I would be too if I ate that much!

Edit**
It won’t let me upload a photo keeps saying it’s too big even when I’m using its take photo option.

Thank you, it’s just he seems sluggish but I guess I would be too if I ate that much!

Edit**
It won’t let me upload a photo keeps saying it’s too big even when I’m using its take photo option.

It's a frog, they don't exactly spend most of their days running marathons and taking aerobics classes. I don't even know how you'd be able to tell a frog is acting sluggish, they usually just sit there not moving all day unless food comes within leaping range, and I bet he'd eat if you fed him!

Yeah, this site has various problems with picture uploads, I gave up on trying.

It's a frog, they don't exactly spend most of their days running marathons and taking aerobics classes. I don't even know how you'd be able to tell a frog is acting sluggish, they usually just sit there not moving all day unless food comes within leaping range, and I bet he'd eat if you fed him!

Yeah, this site has various problems with picture uploads, I gave up on trying.

He’s really weird and usually moves around a fair bit cause he enjoys being alone to bask where the other 2 like to be together and he’s not moving around as easily as he was, he also usually jumps onto my hand at every chance he gets (other 2 prefer to be left mostly) and he’s been what I would call “off” based on the premise he’s snubbing me but tbh probs just a hurt ego of mine and I’m overthinking it.
Edit**
Forgot to add in when I spot cleaned the vivarium this morning (while replying to you ahah) there were 3 large poops and his tummy’s reduced and he seems happier again, he didn’t want to come on my hand but come up next to it for a leg pat

Yeah, I think you're overthinking it. All sounds fine :)

I definitely was lol! He’s eating and is just tubby compared to the other 2 after his pig out. He’s my favourite of the three (only one who wants to come out and jumps on my hand) and I’d be absolutely gutted if anything happened to him not naturally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back