Thawing Mixed Pet for Pythons in the same sink

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Colbert

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,. Could I please ask your thoughts. Normally when I thaw food for my reptiles in a warm sink I do it all at the same time.

Quail, extra large adult rats, mice, pinkies ECT.

I am starting to wonder if this practice is cross contaminating the scents and confusing the reptiles or if it's fine to do what I have been doing.

I look forward to your replies
kind regards Rob

I just thaw in a bucket or a mug for small amounts of food. Easier to clean. While rats and mice are edible I don't want the smell in my kitchen sink.

I just thaw in a bucket or a mug for small amounts of food. Easier to clean. While rats and mice are edible I don't want the smell in my kitchen sink.
Similar to this, i just put everything in freezer bags, run a bucket of warmish 30c water and dump all the food in and cover it with a handtowel, itll stay warm for hours

The most important part with defrosting food, is making sure its still warm when you give it to the animal, you have probably noticed putting a frozen item into warm water will almost instantly chill the water, so you might have to change the water every now and then :)

You will cross scent them, but usually this isn't a problem. I also defrost in warm/hot water. Almost everything I feed is rats and mice, but if I do occasionally use something like Asian House Geckoes I thaw them separately. Probably wouldn't hurt to thaw them all together anyway.

Thank you everyone for your help with this.

Kind regards Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back