Pet shops

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derekw

Reaction score
I thought i would go check out the only pet shop in town with reptiles today and i was blown away by the pricing. Albino darwin $1350 , "Honey" jungle $700. Even the little childrens python hatchlings were pricy.

My local pet shop sells Albino Darwins for $399

The very ordinary looking albino "Darwins" I've seen in pet shops should be $200, you can buy top quality selectively bred high fluro tri-colours from breeders (including me) for $400-$500

The very ordinary looking albino "Darwins" I've seen in pet shops should be $200, you can buy top quality selectively bred high fluro tri-colours from breeders (including me) for $400-$500
$1350 was out of this world
[doublepost=1563005551,1563005469][/doublepost]
I sell my Beardies for $50-150, pet shop will give me $30 and then resell for $200+.
My son had some blueys ,got $15 and retailed $195
$200+ was thd same at this pet store as well. I know who i will be sending a msg if i want one

$1350 [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33] that’s insane! Must be someone willing to pay it though I guess if they’re charging it [emoji2368]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What DL1 said, I have people come over and their first question is “wow that must have been expensive” as they point to high Fluro ADP when it was my least expensive due to mates rates

I bought my first coastal for 350$, Just ur average CCP no special genes, from a pet shop

Thankfully for me i am a member of this forum and read up on things daily so i have a little bit of a idea on pricing. There are some more expensive animals i desire and am just sitting back waiting to see what pops up later in the year but today at the pet shop was absurd. One pet shop that sells reptiles in my town and some poor person will likely walk in there and get robbed because they don't know where to look.

Pet shops have overheads like rent, wages etc and need to make a profit but some seem to price exotic animals like pythons and parrots at an inflated level aimed at exploiting wealthy customers who have no knowledge as to their fair value. This is especially the case with macaws and black cockatoos that are often purchased as a display animal just to impress friends, you see blue and gold macaws in shops for $6000 that can be purchased from a breeder for $2000. And don't get me started on the inflated price of frozen rodents in pet shops.

Of greater concern is the risk of diseases and lack of quarantine precautions in pet shops. A friend of mine used to supply high quality guaranteed healthy virus free albino Darwins to a well known Sydney pet shop for a reasonable wholesale price until the owner adopted a policy of sourcing the cheapest possible animals from anywhere. The retail price stayed the same. I am aware of one clutch purchased by another major pet shop from a desperate private seller and immediately put on sale at triple the price paid with no regard for quarantine.
Buying snakes from private sellers advertising on Facebook or Gumtree is also a risk for the inexperienced, many problem animals often with known health issues are dumped that way to the unsuspecting. I strongly recommend only purchasing quality animals from well known reputable breeders who have quarantine policies and will not risk their reputation selling poor feeders or unhealthy animals.

Pet shops have overheads like rent, wages etc and need to make a profit but some seem to price exotic animals like pythons and parrots at an inflated level aimed at exploiting wealthy customers who have no knowledge as to their fair value. This is especially the case with macaws and black cockatoos that are often purchased as a display animal just to impress friends, you see blue and gold macaws in shops for $6000 that can be purchased from a breeder for $2000. And don't get me started on the inflated price of frozen rodents in pet shops.

Of greater concern is the risk of diseases and lack of quarantine precautions in pet shops. A friend of mine used to supply high quality guaranteed healthy virus free albino Darwins to a well known Sydney pet shop for a reasonable wholesale price until the owner adopted a policy of sourcing the cheapest possible animals from anywhere. The retail price stayed the same. I am aware of one clutch purchased by another major pet shop from a desperate private seller and immediately put on sale at triple the price paid with no regard for quarantine.
Buying snakes from private sellers advertising on Facebook or Gumtree is also a risk for the inexperienced, many problem animals often with known health issues are dumped that way to the unsuspecting. I strongly recommend only purchasing quality animals from well known reputable breeders who have quarantine policies and will not risk their reputation selling poor feeders or unhealthy animals.
this advise is all good but many people have no idea who or what a reputable breeder is. I know who you are but many newbies have no idea. Is there some way of making a list of reputable breeders?

Long ago I suggested a "Breeders Directory" be established on this site. There would have to be some conditions to ensure that only experienced breeders that met some conditions and ethical standards would qualify.

Long ago I suggested a "Breeders Directory" be established on this site. There would have to be some conditions to ensure that only experienced breeders that met some conditions and ethical standards would qualify.
Great idea!

When dealing with pet shops please be careful this is mainly for newbies I have had a few people reach out to me to ask for help with husbandry and general quisitions all of these people have brought there animals from one pet shop not only where they pushing item's on to these people that are not needed they gave wrong them wrong information on husbandry they also flat out lied to thes customers and completely have taken advantage of them one was sold a (hatchie) jungle cross Darwin and told the bloke it is a pure albino jungles (Not albino) told him it was extremely rare and charged over $1000 for the animal alone

I think if I was in that same situation now, I would explain the prices being too high, why, current price, etc

Speaking of finding reputable breeders does anyone know where i might find a Pure jungle Super Zeb? Also after a Pure MD silver /pepper.

Im waiting to see what Zemac reptiles comes up with this season for the super zeb but i can not find any who breeds Murry Darlings.

Speaking of finding reputable breeders does anyone know where i might find a Pure jungle Super Zeb? Also after a Pure MD silver /pepper.

Im waiting to see what Zemac reptiles comes up with this season for the super zeb but i can not find any who breeds Murry Darlings.
@Shire pythons had one the other day I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back