Ackie heat/light source

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukecee

Not so new Member
Reaction score
With my newly purchased ackie enclosure came the existing 150w uv spiral globe down the cold end of the tank and a 250w exoterra ceramic heat globe up the warm end aswell as a thermostat.
My question is ... since ceramic globes dont put out a light source, is this sufficient enough to be the heat source for the whole enclosure and double up as the basking spot or do I also need a flood light for e.g..
It is currently keeping the warm end at 35c ambient , it's providing a basking spot of between 60-65c and it's maintaining the cold end at around 25c.
Thanks

Gee that would really chew through the power. I would definitely say that setup isnt suitable for ackies. For lighting and heating, there isn't a one size fits all situations so it's difficult to say buy this or that. You seem to get ok temps but as you identified, basking spots for monitors need to be bright. For UV, personally I'd go with the high output t5 tubes rather than any of the e27 fitted bulbs.

Gee that would really chew through the power. I would definitely say that setup isnt suitable for ackies. For lighting and heating, there isn't a one size fits all situations so it's difficult to say buy this or that. You seem to get ok temps but as you identified, basking spots for monitors need to be bright. For UV, personally I'd go with the high output t5 tubes rather than any of the e27 fitted bulbs.

Ok can I just ask though, UV aside... if my ceramic heat globe is hitting suffient ambient temps aswell as sufficient basking spot temps why is the actual light needed ?
Regards

Ok can I just ask though, UV aside... if my ceramic heat globe is hitting suffient ambient temps aswell as sufficient basking spot temps why is the actual light needed ?
Regards

Actual basking lights are used not only to provide heat but also to mimic the Sun.

I guess it's another way that they can tell when it's day and night time in the enclosure as well.

Actual basking lights are used not only to provide heat but also to mimic the Sun.

I guess it's another way that they can tell when it's day and night time in the enclosure as well.
Ok well I'll have a look at replacing the ceramic emitter with a 150w flood light and hope that's enough to provide basking spot and maintain ambient temps

Ok well I'll have a look at replacing the ceramic emitter with a 150w flood light and hope that's enough to provide basking spot and maintain ambient temps

I'd get a few different wattages and test temps out. I'd guess that a flood light would put out more direct heat than a ceramic emitter.

What s the distance between the bulb and basking spot?
[doublepost=1566555178,1566554595][/doublepost]
Regards

The entire light spectrum is important and used. For diurnal reptiles, heat with no light is like watching a movie without the sound. To do indoor lighting right you have to provide UV + visible light + heat. All three go together and compliment each other.

Thabks for the help guys i also had another thread which stated concern about my ackie not eating, turns out the answers in this thread fixed that problem aswell, within 2 minutes of swapping the ceramic emitter with a 100watt heat globe from Bunnings, he woke up, ran under the light, basked for 5 mins then I chucked him a couple woodies and Bob's your uncle, very pleased, thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back