• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Pythons and Snakes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Woma breeders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

courtsum24

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m after a Woma for my first snake. After suggestions on good breeders from Victoria, preferably Gippsland region, but willing to drive to Melbourne area.

Thank you,

Court

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jumping on board here as well - as I too would be interested in knowing reputable breeders of Woma's. (I'm looking for the Western side of Melbourne though, however will also travel to Melbourne).

One concern - I saw this add: https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/rhd-woma.225212/#post-2527569

A 4m Woma? My expectation was that a Woma would grow between 5 to 7 feet in length. A 12ft Woma is almost double that. Is this an exception rather than the rule? Will a reputable breeder be able to confirm the locale of Woma they have and expected maximum length?

I think that may be a typo and meant to be 4ft lol
And yes and yes

I think that may be a typo and meant to be 4ft lol
And yes and yes

Thanks Melmy... that's a bit of a relief. Bit of a difference between 4ft and 4m. ;)

As far as breeders are concerned - do we just call different petshops until we find one that has in stock what we want? There seems to be enough listings around the country on classifieds for adults but I'm finding difficulty gathering information on hatchlings and yearlings.

Also if there's nothing local - is there any restrictions buying interstate? What's involved in exporting or importing herps across state lines? (I think I read somewhere that if I was to sell interstate I would require an exporter permit for Victoria so I'm not sure what complications or red tape is involved in buying interstate).

I’m very wary of pet shops. I see you’re in vic. The only one I would trust is Jurassic jungle. I got a little woma for my daughter from them earlier this year and they were great.
There aren’t many young ones around at the moment because eggs are all just being laid around now so if you’re after a hatchling then it’s worth contacting people locally who have older ones for sale and asking if they have clutches on the way.
You can import from interstate too it’s just a wildlife import/export form to send in to DEWLP if you decide to go that way.

Thanks @Melmy... You have certainly been a wealth of help replying to my questions on this forum. Thank you! :)

I’m very wary of pet shops. I see you’re in vic. The only one I would trust is Jurassic jungle. I got a little woma for my daughter from them earlier this year and they were great.

Thanks for the suggestion. I see why it's so hard to find the shops. I didn't even find them when searching in google and when visiting their website - they don't even list that they sell pets, only accessories - so i wouldn't even know that this shop stocks Pythons if it wasn't for your suggestion.

I guess this sort of shopping is best suited to those who live in the area and visit in person rather than for people remote like me stuck with a browser. :(

There aren’t many young ones around at the moment because eggs are all just being laid around now so if you’re after a hatchling then it’s worth contacting people locally who have older ones for sale and asking if they have clutches on the way.

That's the trick isn't it... finding out who to contact. I'll write down Jurassic Jungle and will give them a call when I have a moment. Thank you! That's one on the list. :)

You can import from interstate too it’s just a wildlife import/export form to send in to DEWLP if you decide to go that way.

Is this something you need to do before hand, or afterwards? (ie, if I decided to travel to Adelaide - would I need to know what I was going to buy and from whom before I went there to have that on the permit)? Also would I need two permits? One for export for SA, and one for import for Vic?

Thanks again!
[doublepost=1568539890,1568252997][/doublepost]
Also if there's nothing local - is there any restrictions buying interstate? What's involved in exporting or importing herps across state lines? (I think I read somewhere that if I was to sell interstate I would require an exporter permit for Victoria so I'm not sure what complications or red tape is involved in buying interstate).

OK, after a lot of searching I think I've found my answer. it would seem as though:

• I need both an import and an export permit. (Import into Vic, and Export from the state I'm buying it in).
  • I need to know the details of the seller before applying. (Details of seller are required on the permit)
  • I need the permit prior to acquiring the snake.
So as far as going interstate, checking out some animals before buying and then making a choice - that's not going to happen. I've either got to be prepared to make two separate trips, or just purchase sight unseen.

I guess with hatchings sight unseen isn't much of an issue? As you won't know their temperament until they're older anyway - and I'll have the best opportunity to get good temperament by raising it correctly.

I think hatchling season is almost upon us so I should wait a few more weeks to see what comes out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back