Feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So here we are yet again
Two weeks between feeds , tried last night and all he does is S up and smell. Eventually I get tired of it and Bob him with it. Perfect bite on the head and wrap up. Go back an hour later and he left it. Tried again and same thing.
Offered the same rat again after being placed in the fridge over night , same thing smells the he'll out of it but will not strike! Bob him again and perfect take , even gave the rat a wiggle and he coiled it very tight. Check again in a hour and left it behind once more.

It seems like the food must be to big but he has had 4 hopper rats before , 4 out of 9 attempts actually so the feeding rate is less than 50% of food offered.

I have tried turning the heat up , he is not in shed and only 10 months old. Last shed was a month ago yesterday so he could be due soon but has only eaten twice in that period.

When I’ve had snakes do this, this is what has worked: I check on them after 10 minutes. If they’ve let go, boop and they grab it again, check again in 10 minutes. If they’ve dropped it again, I re-warm it and boop again.
Good luck. Hopefully he’s about to shed.

When I’ve had snakes do this, this is what has worked: I check on them after 10 minutes. If they’ve let go, boop and they grab it again, check again in 10 minutes. If they’ve dropped it again, I re-warm it and boop again.
Good luck. Hopefully he’s about to shed.
I'm going to leave it for another week now. He has decided to go back into his hide the last couple of days. He is rarely in there anymore so hopefully in a week he will eat.

Could very well be a seasonal thing, one of my bredli makes won’t eat but in fact seems to want nothing to do with it and tries to get away (backs off after smelling almost like a “not today”), all my other snakes ate like hungry dogs, all have same heating etc

Could very well be a seasonal thing, one of my bredli makes won’t eat but in fact seems to want nothing to do with it and tries to get away (backs off after smelling almost like a “not today”), all my other snakes ate like hungry dogs, all have same heating etc
It really strange thing. I will offer food again tomorrow night as that will be another week passed

My jungle jag was the same When I first got him. Ate for the first month and then refused for another 8 or 9 months. Hes still not the best feeder but feeds weekly just about all the time now. Still refuses rats tho, hates everything about them. I had to resort to tricking him and tying a rat to a mouse lol.

My jungle jag was the same When I first got him. Ate for the first month and then refused for another 8 or 9 months. Hes still not the best feeder but feeds weekly just about all the time now. Still refuses rats tho, hates everything about them. I had to resort to tricking him and tying a rat to a mouse lol.
Far out hope mine doesn't go that long.
I'm not prepared to try a mouse with mine as he had been eating rats before hand. I hear it's difficult to get them to switch back once you resort to mice. Hopefully after 3 weeks he will be interested tomorrow afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back