My ackies is getting injuries when I'm not watching

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Murphy

Reaction score
My ackie is 9 months old however he was six when I got him as winter has only just finished here he's only been active in the last month and a half. Nearly a month ago he broke his middle digit on his right front foot only the tip I only noticed it once it was in an upwards position I didn't know how he'd done it as he's in an infant tank with little stimulus (one small rock and a plastic container for a hide however I just dicided that it was just a fluke and it didn't bother me until Monday. I went to Sydney on Thursday for the grand finale came home late Monday to find the tip of his tail had been injured and will surely fall off I couldn't really do anything about it. He didn't have any live feed in with him and it wasn't like it on Thursday before I left and today he has a finger the same one that had previously broke but healed is injured all the way down with some blood I can't figure out what's going on.
[doublepost=1570767349,1570766952][/doublepost]

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zrZQYsKH58KKtaLr9

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see the image, but it sounds like sloughing issues causing old skin to remain on the body and act like a tourniquet, cutting off blood flow, especially the tail.

Unlike snakes which slough well in wetter conditions, monitors tend to slough best in hot, dry conditions, allowing the skin to flake off. A very strong basking lamp is essential and will usually give you problem free sloughs.

I can't see the image, but it sounds like sloughing issues causing old skin to remain on the body and act like a tourniquet, cutting off blood flow, especially the tail.

Unlike snakes which slough well in wetter conditions, monitors tend to slough best in hot, dry conditions, allowing the skin to flake off. A very strong basking lamp is essential and will usually give you problem free sloughs.
That's what first came to mind with the tail but he'd only shed about two weeks before. Can they need to shed that fast? it's my first monitor thanks for the advice

That's what first came to mind with the tail but he'd only shed about two weeks before. Can they need to shed that fast? it's my first monitor thanks for the advice

Young monitors which are growing rapidly can just about be sloughing constantly, and what might have happened is that his slough about 2 weeks ago was incomplete and it took that much time for the problem to become apparent. If you look closely you may find that the old skin is still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back