Substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronLovesPythons

Reaction score
Whats the best substrate for arid snakes such as bredli or albino darwin

Atm i use newspaper i have critters comfort fine grade for my jungle python and red sand on hand but havent heard too many good things about it wanted to see some opinions and what everyone has tried with the same species

I just went back to paper kitty litter from bark.
I found the barks dusty and the main thing was the bark I was using didn’t soak up the liquid spilled were as the kitty litter works a treat on liquid as it clumps together. Red sand looks the part but it’s bloody messy and dusty when clean up time come around ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used critter crumble, news paper, paper towel, paper pellets kitty litter, shredded paper, brunnings coco peat

And the best in my eyes are all the cheap home made solutions, paper towel, news paper / butchers paper, paprr pellet cat litter and shredded paper

1) saves money
2) super easy to clean
3) doesn’t look completely horrible

I wouldn’t recommend red sand or sand In general for snakes as they can get it stuck under their scales and it can cause problems from what ive read

Paper also gives them something to read on the news

I’ve used critter crumble, news paper, paper towel, paper pellets kitty litter, shredded paper, brunnings coco peat

And the best in my eyes are all the cheap home made solutions, paper towel, news paper / butchers paper, paprr pellet cat litter and shredded paper

1) saves money
2) super easy to clean
3) doesn’t look completely horrible

I wouldn’t recommend red sand or sand In general for snakes as they can get it stuck under their scales and it can cause problems from what ive read

Paper also gives them something to read on the news
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I just went back to paper kitty litter from bark.
I found the barks dusty and the main thing was the bark I was using didn’t soak up the liquid spilled were as the kitty litter works a treat on liquid as it clumps together. Red sand looks the part but it’s bloody messy and dusty when clean up time come around ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to use kritters crumble but its too dam expensive, A mate has hooked me up with a bulk lot of the same stuff just no pricey brand name. so instead of $20 for 20ltrs its about $20 for 60ltrs. Works perfect for me. Iv got a pallet of it coming to my workshop soon so I can share the saving around the local reptile community. Im sick of paying so dam much for anything with a snake drawn on it hahah
[doublepost=1573182559,1573182521][/doublepost]So if your keen and in Perth hit me up haha

I use to use kritters crumble but its too dam expensive, A mate has hooked me up with a bulk lot of the same stuff just no pricey brand name. so instead of $20 for 20ltrs its about $20 for 60ltrs. Works perfect for me. Iv got a pallet of it coming to my workshop soon so I can share the saving around the local reptile community. Im sick of paying so dam much for anything with a snake drawn on it hahah
[doublepost=1573182559,1573182521][/doublepost]So if your keen and in Perth hit me up haha
Bugger im in sydney

Spewing! The more people I help the better, pet shops have sent us broke for too dam long haha.
I make 4x4 seat covers for a living and send the all around the world so can always throw it in with our post It weighs like 4-5kg so postage would be like $12 ea for express or like $9 standard shipping. still saving like $30 (with express) but is it worth it at the end of the day
Bugger im in sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back