Help with new SWCP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthchild13

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Someone is NOT happy and just tried to strike me through the glass

Hubby's new juvie SW Carpet really doesn't like me. I've handled quite a few snakes, both pet and wild, without any hassles whatsoever. But this one really gets stroppy when I'm around

I try to make no sudden moves or loud noises but the viv is sitting on a buffet that I go into regularly. Would the drawers bother it?
Could it just be because it's young (just over 1y I think)?
Or still settling in to it's new surroundings (we've only had it 8 days)?

Not yet sure if male/female - would that make a difference?

I don't want it to hate me

Hubby works FIFO so for 2 weeks at a time it's just us - I wanna be buddies!

20191128_123407.jpg

Someone is NOT happy and just tried to strike me through the glass

Hubby's new juvie SW Carpet really doesn't like me. I've handled quite a few snakes, both pet and wild, without any hassles whatsoever. But this one really gets stroppy when I'm around

I try to make no sudden moves or loud noises but the viv is sitting on a buffet that I go into regularly. Would the drawers bother it?
Could it just be because it's young (just over 1y I think)?
Or still settling in to it's new surroundings (we've only had it 8 days)?

Not yet sure if male/female - would that make a difference?

I don't want it to hate me

Hubby works FIFO so for 2 weeks at a time it's just us - I wanna be buddies!

View attachment 328078
Hey i had a very snappy jungle doing the exact same thing striking at glass at any movement and very cage defenvise amd couldnt really be handled.
So i decided to remove him from the doorway out of his fully glass exo terra enclosure and use a 9 dollar tub from top bargain.
You couldnt see through it so i thought he woyld feel more secure gave him is nessesacry heating requirements and furnished up the tub nicely hides and leaves and wot not and did bamboo perches and air holes with a 20 dollar soldering iron

Then i handled him for 2 x 20 min periods daily (besides digesting days) one in the morning and night and in about a week he became as placid as my bredli not cage defensive at all when normally i needed a hook i can literellay put my hand right in the tub pat him for as long as i like and then pick him up now and hes nothing but curious

Obviously he shows me he doesnt wanna come out somwtimes but with no aggression he simply wraps his tail super tight on the perch where as he would normally want to come out

Hope me sharing my experience helps in any way

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hey i had a very snappy jungle doing the exact same thing striking at glass at any movement and very cage defenvise amd couldnt really be handled.
So i decided to remove him from the doorway out of his fully glass exo terra enclosure and use a 9 dollar tub from top bargain.
You couldnt see through it so i thought he woyld feel more secure gave him is nessesacry heating requirements and furnished up the tub nicely hides and leaves and wot not and did bamboo perches and air holes with a 20 dollar soldering iron

Then i handled him for 2 x 20 min periods daily (besides digesting days) one in the morning and night and in about a week he became as placid as my bredli not cage defensive at all when normally i needed a hook i can literellay put my hand right in the tub pat him for as long as i like and then pick him up now and hes nothing but curious

Obviously he shows me he doesnt wanna come out somwtimes but with no aggression he simply wraps his tail super tight on the perch where as he would normally want to come out

Hope me sharing my experience helps in any way

Thank you so much for sharing!
We have an exo terra for this little beauty, and two hides but it doesn't use them. I am wondering now if it's too large and open. I'll make a few adjustments and see how we go. Cheers again!

We have an exo terra for this little beauty, and two hides but it doesn't use them. I am wondering now if it's too large and open. I'll make a few adjustments and see how we go. Cheers again!
No worries this might help too

Probably just needs to settle in, my SWCP was the same for a few weeks before he settled down and tolerated me (i hope) They tend to be pretty snappy whilst young as well but will eventually grow out of it.
[doublepost=1574989750,1574989665][/doublepost]

Whats your temps?

Latest posts

Back