warped hatchling tubs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bl69aze

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with their hatchling tubs warping without lids?

specifically the 9L quadrant tubs from reject shop

I used to use them for heaps of things but phased them out about 18 years ago for everything except insect colonies (I mostly used them as giveaways to buyers to take their new snakes in and use as starter tubs and just kept some for insect colonies because I already had them). I never had warping issues, but the lids used to wear out and I preferred ones with clips. It's funny they're still making them after so long.

I don't use anything these days that won't go in the dishwasher and all those cheap ones warp there. I was fortunate to buy a large number of really good tubs very cheap when Masters closed down and they are bullet proof, only problem is to replace any they are $15 each online plus freight. I also find the vision ones are ok too but they warp in a dishwasher if you stack them with any pressure on them.

I don't use anything these days that won't go in the dishwasher and all those cheap ones warp there. I was fortunate to buy a large number of really good tubs very cheap when Masters closed down and they are bullet proof, only problem is to replace any they are $15 each online plus freight. I also find the vision ones are ok too but they warp in a dishwasher if you stack them with any pressure on them.

You wouldn’t expect them to warp in day to day use thoug? Unless they were subjected to crazy weather and heat and humidity (like the inside of a dishwasher)

they’re gonna be In a somewhat moderate room with an aircon for hot days (which shouldn’t be a problem as we are coming out of summer )

Last edited:
I always used sistema klip it styled tubs of various sizes. Never had issues of warping.

@Sdaji

You wouldn’t happen to know any similar sized tubs to the 9L would you? Wider rather than taller if not, or shorter but a little longer (with lid on) ( the rack I’m getting is 32.5 deep so only 2cm~ wiggle room with 2mm gap between top of tub and next shelf)

Just in case I need a backup if they *do* warp

@Sdaji

You wouldn’t happen to know any similar sized tubs to the 9L would you? Wider rather than taller if not, or shorter but a little longer (with lid on) ( the rack I’m getting is 32.5 deep so only 2cm~ wiggle room with 2mm gap between top of tub and next shelf)

Just in case I need a backup if they *do* warp

The 7 litre Sistema tubs are what I switched to for that size (more so the 5 litre quadrant than 9 litre - if you need the height you might need something else, but you say you're not so much after the height). Brilliant tubs, available at Woolworths, K-mart, etc. Stronger, better lids, last much longer, and I found the shape better. They're more expensive but well worth it.

The 7 litre Sistema tubs are what I switched to for that size (more so the 5 litre quadrant than 9 litre - if you need the height you might need something else, but you say you're not so much after the height). Brilliant tubs, available at Woolworths, K-mart, etc. Stronger, better lids, last much longer, and I found the shape better. They're more expensive but well worth it.

Thanks sdaji

I might buy a few 7L tubs just incase as a backup,

Unfortunately the racks been measure up for the dimensions of the ^^ 9L ones so it’s hard to find similar sized tubs (or larger ones) that are wider and or shorter

Thanks sdaji

I might buy a few 7L tubs just incase as a backup,

Unfortunately the racks been measure up for the dimensions of the ^^ 9L ones so it’s hard to find similar sized tubs (or larger ones) that are wider and or shorter

The 7 litre Sistemas are shorter than the 9 litre Quadrants, so they should fit your rack nicely. What are you using them for? I'm a bit of a plasticware buff, much to the confusion and amusement of my non herp friends any time they're with me in shopping centres etc! They get especially puzzled and think I'm quite mentally retarded when they see me seeming to attempt to open the lids the wrong way, sometimes pointing out where the clips are, or looking at me like I'm a complete moron when staff rush over to show me how to open a tub, only for me to immediately close them again and try to open them the wrong way again! As a fellow critter keeper you probably understand that I'm checking to see that they're escape proof, but especially with shop staff it's too long a story to explain so I just let them think I'm an escaped mental patient. I've been on dates with girls who have been horrified to see someone they thought was intelligent and knowledgeable suddenly turn into a window licker.

What are you using the tubs for? I might be able to suggest something good if I know what it's for.
[doublepost=1581662025,1581661851][/doublepost]Oh, and yes, buy the Sistemas on special. I used to always stock up when they were 50% off. The best time is, unfortunately, January, but unless you're in a hurry wait until they come on special then stock up.

The 7 litre Sistemas are shorter than the 9 litre Quadrants, so they should fit your rack nicely. What are you using them for? I'm a bit of a plasticware buff, much to the confusion and amusement of my non herp friends any time they're with me in shopping centres etc! They get especially puzzled and think I'm quite mentally retarded when they see me seeming to attempt to open the lids the wrong way, sometimes pointing out where the clips are, or looking at me like I'm a complete moron when staff rush over to show me how to open a tub, only for me to immediately close them again and try to open them the wrong way again! As a fellow critter keeper you probably understand that I'm checking to see that they're escape proof, but especially with shop staff it's too long a story to explain so I just let them think I'm an escaped mental patient. I've been on dates with girls who have been horrified to see someone they thought was intelligent and knowledgeable suddenly turn into a window licker.

What are you using the tubs for? I might be able to suggest something good if I know what it's for.
[doublepost=1581662025,1581661851][/doublepost]Oh, and yes, buy the Sistemas on special. I used to always stock up when they were 50% off. The best time is, unfortunately, January, but unless you're in a hurry wait until they come on special then stock up.

Bredli clutch, hoping to have most of them sold in 7-8months max, that way i can sell this rack after i get a rack for yearlings for any holdbacks :) (this bought rack is a first time experience so i will have a better idea of what ill need in future seasons :)

the rack dimensions are Roughly 915w x 1130h x 325d - 2mm between tub and shelf

Bredli clutch, hoping to have most of them sold in 7-8months max, that way i can sell this rack after i get a rack for yearlings for any holdbacks :) (this bought rack is a first time experience so i will have a better idea of what ill need in future seasons :)

the rack dimensions are Roughly 915w x 1130h x 325d - 2mm between tub and shelf

Too funny. Many years ago I knocked up a temporary rack for my first clutch of bredli, using 9 litre Quadrant tubs (back then they were labelled as "10 litre (approx)"), which were leftover from my first clutch of Coastal Carpets. I used cheap wood and intended to throw the rack away once that clutch was sold but I ended up using that rack for about another 10 years.

Definitely go for the 7 litre Sistemas over Quadrants.

I built two racks that each held 60 five litre quadrant tubs without lids.These were in use for around 15 years without any issues.
Also had a Vision V18 hatchy rack but only used that when the other two racks were full as I preferred the home made racks.

Thanks guys, I bought 5 7L tubs just incase some of them *do* warp

But hopefully they don’t

Latest posts

Back