Yummy Food I Picked Up At The Wet Market

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Though not related to the origins of the current pandemic, a lot of people are making jokes about bats and wet markets and a lot of people probably think things actually did start at the wet market (totally debunked incidentally, if anyone is wondering - there were people with the virus well before the first cases at the market occurred). Either way, this seems sort of topical.

I bought 10 of these at the local wet market while staying with a family in northern Laos. The family were all locals and I assumed they would be keen to share them but to my surprise they weren't keen, so I ended up with a huge feast that night. Cooked them up on the barbecue, very yummy! Previously I'd only had them cooked by other people, mostly in Thailand.

Due to Mr. Corona coming to join the global party I'm now trapped in Australia, and I definitely miss the Asian wet markets already!

bat yummies.jpg

Give me Hungry Jacks over a bat any day! (shame that they're closed)
Cant believe you actually ate that thing Sdaji!

Try grilled fruitbat in a curry - yummy ! I had it on Seychelles; a gamy, slightly peppery taste - very nice. If you really eat the crap food from Hungry Jacks you can eat bat & fruitbat any time; just think of “hare with wings”...[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've eaten every kind of animal they all have there own taste and I have to say I haven't found anything I haven't liked so far things I mite only have eaten once but I can say I've done it
[doublepost=1585958112,1585958019][/doublepost]I say I've eaten every animal I can get my hands on there are still some I need to try lol

do you eat the wings aswell?? or just the meaty bits?

Call me boring or a square but I'll stick with my good old smashed avo and fried eggs on toast for breakfast.
20200404_085531.jpg

I prefer my bats battered.

Spoken like someone who has never eaten bat!
[doublepost=1585995113,1585994999][/doublepost]

Give me bats over that garbage any day. I've eaten more animals than most people have heard of and I've eaten the common mans' food in the slums of multiple third world countries and Hungry Jacks type food is down with the absolute worst of everything I've ever eaten!
[doublepost=1585995263][/doublepost]
Try grilled fruitbat in a curry - yummy ! I had it on Seychelles; a gamy, slightly peppery taste - very nice. If you really eat the crap food from Hungry Jacks you can eat bat & fruitbat any time; just think of “hare with wings”...[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you curry it the meal becomes about how good the chef is rather than how good the meat is (first time I had bat it was in a sort of Thai curry, cooked by my friend's Thai mother in a small town in north eastern Thailand). I've heard a few people describe bats as peppery but have never found that myself, so I wonder if it's just that some people cook them with pepper, haha. I'm totally with you on the HJ side of things!

No trying dog?

I've eaten dog in multiple countries. If you're interested I'll keen it in mind and next time I come across pictures when I'm looking though old files I'll stick something up here.
[doublepost=1585995638,1585995367][/doublepost]
Yeah true. I've never illegally killed protected wildlife for food.

Are you implying I have?

I've eaten dog in multiple countries. If you're interested I'll keen it in mind and next time I come across pictures when I'm looking though old files I'll stick something up here.
[doublepost=1585995638,1585995367][/doublepost]

Are you implying I have?
Not at all... you said I've never eaten bat... I live in Australia, not abroad... bats are protected here... I've never taken a protected bat for food.

I've eaten every kind of animal they all have there own taste and I have to say I haven't found anything I haven't liked so far things I mite only have eaten once but I can say I've done it
[doublepost=1585958112,1585958019][/doublepost]I say I've eaten every animal I can get my hands on there are still some I need to try lol

Awesome. I've tried just about everything I've been able to find and afford, the main foods I avoid are unethical or endangered. I've enjoyed the vast majority of foods I've tried but I can definitely say there are some things I don't like. I'm not particularly a fan of foods made with chyme (though I have eaten it many times and almost always it has been with families in Laos and Issan and I'm usually in such a happy mood out there I'm enjoying everything anyway), I don't like small snails (due to all the grit and $#!t which is impossible to sort out) but like large snails, there's one vegetable which grows on trees in Laos and east Thailand (locally called lin mai which translates to tree tongue) which I think it utterly disgusting, and I generally try to avoid tofu. Actually, other than processed foods that's about all I can think of which I don't like.

Do you have any featuring prominently on the wish list? Porcupine is one of my favourites, and several other rodents are also really good.

As someone who has eaten a large number of animals, would you agree that while people who have barely eaten any say that everything new tastes like chicken, the only animal you've ever eaten which tastes like chicken is chicken?
[doublepost=1585996327][/doublepost]
Not at all... you said I've never eaten bat... I live in Australia, not abroad... bats are protected here... I've never taken a protected bat for food.

I've never eaten bat in Australia, although up north I've been invited by aboriginals (who are legally allowed to kill and eat them) to come join them to eat them. I'm not entirely sure about the legalities of that, give that I'm not aboriginal (heh, hooray for blatantly racist laws). You might have been outside Australia though, I have no idea :)
[doublepost=1585996546][/doublepost]
do you eat the wings aswell?? or just the meaty bits?

I eat the wings. The ones pictured above were done on the BBQ so the skin went all crispy, a bit like bat crackling. Yummy! I also eat the wing bones, they're flying animals so the bones are pretty light, and after the flame grilling went nice and crunchy. I eat chicken wing bones too. Most people who eat bats don't eat the bones, but many (most?) eat the wing skin. Skin of many animals is a common food in that part of the world. Buffalo skin in that region is particularly popular, usually not eaten as part of a meal with buffalo, just the skin cooked up without any other meat. They stew it and it goes sort of gelatinous.
[doublepost=1585996606][/doublepost]
Call me boring or a square but I'll stick with my good old smashed avo and fried eggs on toast for breakfast.
View attachment 328888

I like eggs and avocado on toast too :) Not so fond of the bread, but eggs and avocado are up with my favourite foods :)

I'm all for indigenous Australians being allowed to lawfully obtain their traditional foods, provided that the methods by which they obtain them are also traditional... years ago I unleashed a tirade on a mob known as the Tabulam turtle divers. Turtle diving is a tradition being kept alive by the Wahlubal people of the Bundjalung Nation near Tabulam in northern New South Wales. The tradition is still practiced to this day but the locals have incorporated modern methods by using goggles, snorkels and fins... that to me is outrageous.

I'm all for indigenous Australians being allowed to lawfully obtain their traditional foods, provided that the methods by which they obtain them are also traditional... years ago I unleashed a tirade on a mob known as the Tabulam turtle divers. Turtle diving is a tradition being kept alive by the Wahlubal people of the Bundjalung Nation near Tabulam in northern New South Wales. The tradition is still practiced to this day but the locals have incorporated modern methods by using goggles, snorkels and fins... that to me is outrageous.

I think having laws which apply differently to different people based exclusively on race is about as blatantly racist as anything ever could be. I mean, that is literally saying that whether or not you are allowed to do something is determined by what race you are. If that's not racist, what is?

The world is racist. Australia is the most racist continent on the face of the earth. It is what it is... it'll never change. Indigenous Australians were here 60,000 years... we've racked up 232.... who are we to make laws to govern them??

As an older Aussie who has never left our shores, I obviously haven't eaten all the things available overseas. But I have eaten snake,croc,emu and roo as well as the usual yabbies etc. Some are quite nice and some are so so. But if this virus turns into a global recession I might find myself eating my reptilian friends as a last resort. Think about that Kev, will you starve or eat your turtles?

The world is racist. Australia is the most racist continent on the face of the earth. It is what it is... it'll never change. Indigenous Australians were here 60,000 years... we've racked up 232.... who are we to make laws to govern them??

I agree the world is racist. I think it's incredibly funny that you think Australia is the most racist place on Earth! Haha, you obviously haven't spent much time outside of western countries! Immerse yourself in a lot of other cultures and you'll see racism that completely makes anything in Australia look like whatever the opposite of racism is. China is probably the most racist country, Australia doesn't rank highly at all. In many countries, to say that one race is superior to another is like saying the sky is blue or water gets things wet.

Who are "we" to make laws to govern "then"? Haha, sounds like you're pretty racist yourself :) What race is the Australian government? The government is not a race! The people who make up the government are not all the same race, and Australians (Australian is a nationality, not a race) of any race can be elected by Australian voters of any race.

You can call it however you see it and whatever you want... makes zero difference, there's huge divides in this country and always will be... as for what goes on in other countries... I couldn't care less. I'm not sure how much of Australia you've travelled and racism you've encountered during those travels, but if it's half of what I have then it's a lot.
Ask any aboriginal if the government has ever given them a fair go... race or nationality.
I respect your view that you find laws surrounding the permissions of indigenous Australians racist... I not so much, I believe they should be allowed to maintain traditions BUT it must be authentic... no shooting down bats for food with a .410... using spearguns to catch Australian Bass or snorkels fins and goggles to collect freshwater turtles.
[doublepost=1585999146,1585998855][/doublepost]
Think about that Kev, will you starve or eat your turtles?
Mate I would eat my left arm before I ate my turtles... purvisi are almost extinct in the wild. Not gonna happen on my watch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back