Odd looking BHP pee

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pythonguy1

Reaction score
Hi guys, my BHP did an odd looking pee last night and I just want to make sure that he isn't sick or anything.
Odd looking pee.JPG

Mum thinks that it could be the grappa that we poured over him for when he latched on to me the other day. Just making sure that it isn't anything serious.

water works just fine .
I tried water, it didn't work. I've heard that alcohol gets them off and we we had the grappa on hand. It did the trick.
food motivated bite.jpg That's after using water.

ouch.jpg That's after using Grappa
Once again, any idea why the pee is looking weird.

Yeah , I see your point . But personally I would never pour alcohol on any of my pets as IT IS POISONOUS. In a similar situation to yours, I poured cold water over the head of one of mine and he soon let go.
[doublepost=1587455216,1587454960][/doublepost]Not criticizing, but there must be a better way.

many people use alcohol in one way or another, its better than water which will often make the animal bite down harder,

I cant say for Grappa, but people definitely use mouth wash which has alcohol, or hand sanitizer

I saw an article on this subject by Simon Stone of Southern Cross Reptiles who advised dabbing a little alcohol on YOUR skin near the snakes snout, to make it let go. That would be preferable to pouring it directly on the snake in my opinion.
[doublepost=1587708316,1587706982][/doublepost]You are correct , hell I even enjoy a beer or bourbon occasionally myself. My concern is, Grappa is generally stronger than most things you can buy over the counter, and being home made ,,, do you really know how strong it is ? Do you really know how much alcohol your beautiful scaly mate can tolerate ? I don't . But I do know if you consume enough of it, you will stop breathing. Is it worth the risk ?
many people use alcohol in one way or another, its better than water which will often make the animal bite down harder,

I cant say for Grappa, but people definitely use mouth wash which has alcohol, or hand sanitizer

I saw an article on this subject by Simon Stone of Southern Cross Reptiles who advised dabbing a little alcohol on YOUR skin near the snakes snout, to make it let go. That would be preferable to pouring it directly on the snake in my opinion.
I'll give that a go next time (hopefuly the're wont be a next time). Also he isn't showing any signes of sickness so I think we're alright. ;)
[doublepost=1587957560,1587813178][/doublepost]Shed nicely last night, I'll say we're all good.

BHP shed.JPG

Thanks for all your replies. I understand both views. I'll keep an eye on his future poops and hopefully we haven't caused any major harm

I'm no expert - but I doubt you've caused harm. By all means try something else in future first if you want - but I wouldn't lose any sleep over what you've done worrying about what you've done as I too have seen umpteen resources of people recommending alcohol as a method - I've even seen it promoted on this very forum by a number of people. I'd hazard a guess that some of the other methods (including manhandling it) could have potential to do more harm. More importantly - I would imagine that if alcohol was a serious risk of causing harm - with so many people that use it and recommend it - there would be real world examples of the aftermath as a warning and not just speculation.

BTW- that's a beautiful BHP you have there! Gorgeous.

I'm no expert - but I doubt you've caused harm. By all means try something else in future first if you want - but I wouldn't lose any sleep over what you've done worrying about what you've done as I too have seen umpteen resources of people recommending alcohol as a method - I've even seen it promoted on this very forum by a number of people. I'd hazard a guess that some of the other methods (including manhandling it) could have potential to do more harm. More importantly - I would imagine that if alcohol was a serious risk of causing harm - with so many people that use it and recommend it - there would be real world examples of the aftermath as a warning and not just speculation.

BTW- that's a beautiful BHP you have there! Gorgeous.
Thanks -Adam-. I am relieved to hear this. I will try a different tactic to make him let go next time.
His name's Samson and he is the most amazing snake I'v owned.

If he doesn't like Grappa you could always offer him some of my Ale instead ;).
IMG_20200426_125323.jpg

f he doesn't like Grappa you could always offer him some of my Ale instead ;).
After his reaction to grappa I doubt he'll get a taste for ale. But you never know....

giphy.gif

I doubt you have done any harm either , there just has to be a better way. By the way Adam, you would be surprised how many people die from consuming alcohol mate , IT IS POISONOUS , why do you think they use it in hand sanitizer or as a disinfectant ?

I doubt you have done any harm either , there just has to be a better way. By the way Adam, you would be surprised how many people die from consuming alcohol mate , IT IS POISONOUS , why do you think they use it in hand sanitizer or as a disinfectant ?

Hi CF.

Sad to say that I'm not surprised by how many people die from Alcohol Poisoning - rather surprised that the figures aren't higher. Alcohol is a real problem in our country but I won't get started, except to say that normally this has to do with excessive consumption. Both are key words - excessive and consumption. If Josiah was ramming it down the throat making the snake drink (aka consume it) - that would be one thing, but a little taste in the mouth is unlikely to elevate BAC in the bloodstream anymore than putting pure vanilla essence on someone's tongue is likely to. It will show alcohol in the mouth but not in the blood stream where the problem with Alcohol Poisoning lies.

The OP as I understood it wasn't making their BHP drink it - but placing a bit on the mouth to make it let go. I guess it depends on the definition of 'poured over' and how much may have entered the stomach area.

If the snake is OK today - I'd say there is nothing at all to worry about.

Thanks Adam , you are correct , but personally I wouldn't risk it with any of my animals and I'm sure it would be downright unpleasant for the snake as well. Imagine having metho suddenly splashed in your face ?

Latest posts

Back