What snake do you think has the most personality

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turtles are very good at adapting to routine, it takes minimal intelligence to learn repetitiveness. They, (captive turtles) start recognising where their food comes from within a week of hatching. They quickly learn to recognise individual family members and times of day and behave accordingly... mine know that I rarely ever capture them to remove them from their aquariums before midday so they will happily approach me inquisitively even nudge my hands in the aquarium.... however... afternoons are a lot different.. if I approach their aquarium they beat a retreat to where I cannot reach them as they know I'm there to capture them. All turtles learn routine, especially when food is involved. ELN are well renowned Australia wide for the pungent stench released by their scent glands when picked up (in the wild), captive bred ELN never release their defensive musk ever in their lives as they've never associated humans with danger.

When it comes to just being a turtle however, all human interactions aside, it is clear through general behavioural observation that all ELN's are from the shallow end of the gene pool when it comes to brains when compared to all other freshwater turtle species of Australia. If turtles had the equivalent of "dumb blonde jokes" they'd all involve ELN's. Their dopeyness aside, I'd never be without a bunch of them, they have always been popular in the hobby and would be a favourite for many older keepers as they'd no doubt have fond childhood memories of the 1st turtle they ever encountered and kept... and 99% of the time it was an ELN.

OP: What snake do you think has the most personality.

Internet: Information about Ostriches & Turtles :D

Turtles are very good at adapting to routine, it takes minimal intelligence to learn repetitiveness. They, (captive turtles) start recognising where their food comes from within a week of hatching. They quickly learn to recognise individual family members and times of day and behave accordingly... mine know that I rarely ever capture them to remove them from their aquariums before midday so they will happily approach me inquisitively even nudge my hands in the aquarium.... however... afternoons are a lot different.. if I approach their aquarium they beat a retreat to where I cannot reach them as they know I'm there to capture them. All turtles learn routine, especially when food is involved. ELN are well renowned Australia wide for the pungent stench released by their scent glands when picked up (in the wild), captive bred ELN never release their defensive musk ever in their lives as they've never associated humans with danger.

When it comes to just being a turtle however, all human interactions aside, it is clear through general behavioural observation that all ELN's are from the shallow end of the gene pool when it comes to brains when compared to all other freshwater turtle species of Australia. If turtles had the equivalent of "dumb blonde jokes" they'd all involve ELN's. Their dopeyness aside, I'd never be without a bunch of them, they have always been popular in the hobby and would be a favourite for many older keepers as they'd no doubt have fond childhood memories of the 1st turtle they ever encountered and kept... and 99% of the time it was an ELN.

See, this makes me think Black-headeds are more stupid. At least a turtle can learn where its food comes from. A Black-headed on the other hand will literally spend five minutes attempting to eat a ceramic water bowl or the glass door of its own enclosure, or successfully eat a sheet of newspaper or its own sloughed skin!

I used to keep diamonds in large former black cockatoo aviaries 6-8m long and they learned to come out of their hides and move to the entrance door at feed time after I tapped on the wire but the most "intelligent" and inquisitive pythons I have are rough scales, not sure if it's their binocular vision but they just seem to have more curiosity and awareness.
Compared to snakes parrots are Mensa members, I have black cockies that can undo locks, open boxes, take lids off bottles and jars, feed themselves with a spoon. Mine are not trained circus performers they only need to see you do something once to immediately learn how to do a task and they recognise different people to the extent they know who feeds them particular treats and scratch them in certain ways. They also recognise the sex of people and are always attracted to the opposite sex but they seem to be confused by the sex of children and treat them differently in a very gentle inquisitive way.

Sounds like i should get a black head lol

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
I wish I could, I’d love to get a pair of axanthic bhp, but moving house soon and prob won’t have room for an 8ft enclosure

Got a nice surprise coming though so keep your eyes open around June ;) maybe the 2nd best thing to ax bhp

I wish I could, I’d love to get a pair of axanthic bhp, but moving house soon and prob won’t have room for an 8ft enclosure

Got a nice surprise coming though so keep your eyes open around June ;) maybe the 2nd best thing to ax bhp
Haha yea sweet mate sounds good..

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

may we have a hint to what this thing is?
[doublepost=1588664884,1588664522][/doublepost]I would just like to say the original reason i made this thread was to help me decide on what snake to get and so far i have learned that BHP's must have something wrong in the head while ELN are also pretty dumb and i think i might just end up getting a spotted

No sorry no hints just yet :p I am like a kid waiting for Christmas though

BHP are great, a little dumb... but great

I think if you want a larger snake, you might like a carpet python? Maybe a Murray darling are on the smaller end

No sorry no hints just yet :p I am like a kid waiting for Christmas though

BHP are great, a little dumb... but great

I think if you want a larger snake, you might like a carpet python? Maybe a Murray darling are on the smaller end
I was thinking of getting these 4 snakes at the start diamond, jungle, murray and woma but i just wanted to see which one would be the greatest and started looking at peoples experience with smaller snakes like spotteds

BHPs are dopey but are one of my favourite animals to work with and yea ELNs are certainly on the lower end of the gene pool brains wise i remember i had a mate that bought a bhp ended up calling me at 8pm in a panic cause it was eating its tail ended up giving up but was hillarious

I was thinking of getting these 4 snakes at the start diamond, jungle, murray and woma but i just wanted to see which one would be the greatest and started looking at peoples experience with smaller snakes like spotteds

By 'personality' what are you looking for?

Something that replicates what they're like in the wild, or something that is entertaining, etc?

I think that will help people to better suggest what might better suit your preferences.

Latest posts

Back