Odd looking BHP pee

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only splashed a small amount on top of his head so I doubt he swallowed much if he did swallow any at all.
While it may have been downright unpleasant for him, it wasn't exactly pleasant for me having him chew away on my thumb. Besides, alcohol was the only tactic that I'd heard of (besides water) and I didn't see any other way of getting him off.
While the grappa didn't make him sick, I will try something else. Maybe something with a little less alcohol in it. Hand sanitizer? Nah, too valuable these days.

If you are going to keep snakes , then you should expect to get bitten occasionaly. If that's to unpleasant for you then maybe try keeping something else.

I only splashed a small amount on top of his head so I doubt he swallowed much if he did swallow any at all.
While it may have been downright unpleasant for him, it wasn't exactly pleasant for me having him chew away on my thumb. Besides, alcohol was the only tactic that I'd heard of (besides water) and I didn't see any other way of getting him off.
While the grappa didn't make him sick, I will try something else. Maybe something with a little less alcohol in it. Hand sanitizer? Nah, too valuable these days.

Hi Josiah,

There are a number of techniques to keep in mind. I've seen a lot of video's by different people trying different techniques. I am far from being an expert - but one thing I have learned from watching them is that there is no single method that will work across the board (well, maybe the exception of alcohol - it seems to be more effective generally - however their are other options too). Each snake is unique - and it's a matter of working through to see what is most effective.

I'm not recommending or dissing any of these - just making reference that different methods I've seen, which include:

- Running water over face
- Blowing on it's face with your mouth
- Alcohol (in a spray form may be a good idea so that it mists and restricts the amount of the 'dosage')
- Biting (Gentle pressure) the snakes tail as though it's going to get eaten. (Not sure I'd go with this - Salmonella poisoning would be in the back of my mind).
- Putting ice on nose
- Using a credit card
- Applying pressure at the back of the head (how people hold/mild venomous snakes)
- Just wait (not ideal if it's a big snake - ouch)

Some people are passionate about this and will swear by one method (or swear at people who use another ;) ) - but it seems that no single method rules them all (with maybe the exception to alcohol - it seems to be more effective across the board from what I've observed).

If you haven't seen this channel yet, I recommend taking a look at snake discovery. They do a easy to watch presentation and seem to know their stuff.

In the end - this is your snake mate, and it's a beautiful snake. Don't be put off by anyone else trying to talk you down because you were bitten - even professionals and long time owners find getting bitten unpleasant.

Personally - from what I've observed here - I'd class you as being a good keeper from what I've seen - not necessarily because you're experienced - but because you are humble, and willing to learn, and appear to show genuine interest in how to best care for your snake. Good on you! With that sort of attitude and outlook in life you're going to go places, not just with herps!

Hi Josiah,

There are a number of techniques to keep in mind. I've seen a lot of video's by different people trying different techniques. I am far from being an expert - but one thing I have learned from watching them is that there is no single method that will work across the board (well, maybe the exception of alcohol - it seems to be more effective generally - however their are other options too). Each snake is unique - and it's a matter of working through to see what is most effective.

I'm not recommending or dissing any of these - just making reference that different methods I've seen, which include:

- Running water over face
- Blowing on it's face with your mouth
- Alcohol (in a spray form may be a good idea so that it mists and restricts the amount of the 'dosage')
- Biting (Gentle pressure) the snakes tail as though it's going to get eaten. (Not sure I'd go with this - Salmonella poisoning would be in the back of my mind).
- Putting ice on nose
- Using a credit card
- Applying pressure at the back of the head (how people hold/mild venomous snakes)
- Just wait (not ideal if it's a big snake - ouch)

Some people are passionate about this and will swear by one method (or swear at people who use another ;) ) - but it seems that no single method rules them all (with maybe the exception to alcohol - it seems to be more effective across the board from what I've observed).

If you haven't seen this channel yet, I recommend taking a look at snake discovery. They do a easy to watch presentation and seem to know their stuff.

In the end - this is your snake mate, and it's a beautiful snake. Don't be put off by anyone else trying to talk you down because you were bitten - even professionals and long time owners find getting bitten unpleasant.

Personally - from what I've observed here - I'd class you as being a good keeper from what I've seen - not necessarily because you're experienced - but because you are humble, and willing to learn, and appear to show genuine interest in how to best care for your snake. Good on you! With that sort of attitude and outlook in life you're going to go places, not just with herps!
Wow, thanks -Adam-, you've been a great help in this thread! I hadn't seen this video before and it definitely helped. I'll give these techniques a go.:)
If you are going to keep snakes , then you should expect to get bitten occasionaly. If that's to unpleasant for you then maybe try keeping something else.
If it was to unpleasant for me I wouldn't of had the patience to take the photo. I'v been bitten plenty of times and I can put up with it fine. When it comes to keeping snakes it's worth it ;)

Having ones thumb partially eaten by a young BHP is part of your initiation into keeping the species. (Not uncommon)
More often than not they will release after a few minutes when they realise it wasn't food and some appear quite embarrassed by their mistake.
They dont have enough power at that age to do any great damage so I personally would just sit down with a beer and wait rather than wasting alchohol.

Learn the lesson that its better to avoid the bite rather than to learn techniques to get an animal off.

Adult BHP's offer a far greater challenge, I have only been nibbled on twice by an adult and both times I would rather have avoided. Both were avoidable and resulted from my own lack of concentration/focus on what I was doing.

Learn the lesson that its better to avoid the bite rather than to learn techniques to get an animal off.

Adult BHP's offer a far greater challenge, I have only been nibbled on twice by an adult and both times I would rather have avoided. Both were avoidable and resulted from my own lack of concentration/focus on what I was doing.
Entirely my fault I got bitten, (should've left him alone after the initial bite). Sadly I don't like drinking beer so I'm not going to sit down and endure both the beer and the bite while waiting for him to get off, I'd much sooner use a splash of alcohol, or some of the techniques that-Adam- listed. However I'm definitely going to learn to avoid the bite as well. ;)

Entirely my fault I got bitten, (should've left him alone after the initial bite). Sadly I don't like drinking beer so I'm not going to sit down and endure both the beer and the bite while waiting for him to get off, I'd much sooner use a splash of alcohol, or some of the techniques that-Adam- listed. However I'm definitely going to learn to avoid the bite as well. ;)

Check out some other video's of Snake Discovery. They have some good educational ones on different 'modes' of snakes, and also how not to get bitten (or at least reduce the chances). Better than a lot of trash on TV these days too. :)

Check out some other video's of Snake Discovery. They have some good educational ones on different 'modes' of snakes, and also how not to get bitten (or at least reduce the chances). Better than a lot of trash on TV these days too. :)
Thanks -Adam-, will do, I have seen a few of their shows before and they are pretty informative, a lot better than other shows I'v seen.
Once again, thanks for your help :)
[doublepost=1588203632,1588202802][/doublepost]Thanks for all your help too CF Constrictor.

Having ones thumb partially eaten by a young BHP is part of your initiation into keeping the species. (Not uncommon)
More often than not they will release after a few minutes when they realise it wasn't food and some appear quite embarrassed by their mistake.
They dont have enough power at that age to do any great damage so I personally would just sit down with a beer and wait rather than wasting alchohol.

Bukephalis.jpg

Crummy phone photo here. Not a BHP, but this cheeky bugger decided I was rather tasty and had a good go attempting to kill and eat me for roughly forty minutes. All the usual tricks didn't work and I was reluctant to pry her off due to her being so small. I also don't carry any alcoholic beverages on me because I don't drink. She eventually gave up in the end. To think she was sold to me as a problem feeder. :rolleyes:

Several years back there was quite a good discussion on how to get a snake to release when it is biting you. The general consensus was that a cotton tip soaked in metho or mouthwash, and then wafted under the snake’s nostrils, was the most effective and least intrusive method. As reptiles are irregular breathers you do need to hold it there until the snake inhales. The plastic card technique is definitely not advised, as you can damage the teeth and mouth, especially if trying to do it on your own.

The advice given was to keep a small quantity of metho or mouthwash, in something like a sealable used pill bottle, along with a couple of cotton tips, handy in your snake room and where you feed them, if yiu feed them elswheres.

Apparently it also works well with lizards - something I wish I had known about while I was keeping Cunningham skinks. Only got latched onto once, but for the life of me it did not want to let go, no matter what I did.

Last edited:
Well, he did it again(no pics this time). I'm gonna give him some bigger rats. I used a couple squirts of hand-sanitiser spray and he let go pretty quickly.

There is a reason why it has latched onto to you a second time, and that reason is most likely related to something you are doing, or not doing.. The scent of food on one’s hands or body is a frequent cause of bites that are not just tags. The method of presenting food likewise – use long tongs. Another cause can be not reading the feeding response or simply under-estimating the strength of it. Whatever it is, try to identify the cause so that it can be avoided in the future.

Latest posts

Back