Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarzanthesnakeman

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to get 4 snakes onto a licence I hold. How would I go about that. I live in qld. I did NOT catch these snakes.

I am making an assumption based on your question that this situation will fall outside of the legal requirements to keeping native fauna in QLD. The main question the Dept of Environment and Heritage will have is how you acquired the snakes. As Sdaji stated, there is not much chance of them letting you keep the animals when they have been acquired illegally. You may have the best of intentions or concerns for the welfare of the animals etc. But if acquired illegally, you have no right to keep the animals. The vast majority of reptile keepers in Australia abide by the rules, which are in place to protect wild populations and to protect the wider community, make sure that you do so as well. Otherwise you loose the privilege of keeping native fauna.

You will be tempted not not say anything and to keep the animals off licence, this is not the right option. Do the right thing now and you will not have to worry about getting caught in the future, getting fined, loosing your animals and being banned from holding a licence for a period.

My advise is to stay away from any situation not within the licencing guidelines, situations like this are not uncommon easily avoided.

Actually, I've found QLD to be pretty reasonable in these situations. I haven't been in the situation myself, but people I've known who have ended up with animals without paperwork who simply asked the QLD department what to do have had them simply give them permission to add them to their license. I'm sure if the same person did it more than once, or if the animals were of a particularly rare or valuable species it may be a different story, and as Nick says it's not at all guaranteed what they'll do, but I'd guess they'll probably let you keep them, assuming they're things you'd easily be able to get on the books without their help (eg if it was a couple of Carpet Pythons, just ask someone with Carpet Pythons to say they bred a couple of extra ones and 'sell them' to you). It's definitely better to avoid doing it illegally, and in my experience the departments usually respond pretty well when people are upfront with them. They're definitely not friendly when they find out that you've been deceiving them.

Latest posts

Back