New Ghost Carpets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In saying that i have an axanthic male 66% het albino from rajiv perara to put over one of troy bromies caramels poss het hypo and an from glenn thomas a caramel zeb 100% het albino and then an albino from a mate from a pet store he couldnt take care off so keen to put some things into the mix and see where the morphs / genetics go with it and what can be produced

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Then again its also confusing for me the whole hypo and carmel like can ghosts amd sunglows and moons be produced from the hypo and caramel influence?

The incomplete dominent caramel and hypo mutations are pretty much the same thing and very well could be the same mutation.
They both reduce the black pigment. But due to the variability of carpet pythons the amount that is reduced varies greatly.
The way i look at incomplete dominant mutations is that a caramel is a visual heterozygous (het) for the visual homozygous super caramel.
So pretty much a caramel is a het for super caramel.
It pretty much comes down to its a caramel or it's not.
Another incomplete dominant mutation is zebra. Zebras(Heterozygous form) are het for super zebras (homozygous form)
That is a very simple way of saying it and I'm sure some will argue it's not right but that is how I see it.

The incomplete dominent caramel and hypo mutations are pretty much the same thing and very well could be the same mutation.
They both reduce the black pigment. But due to the variability of carpet pythons the amount that is reduced varies greatly.
The way i look at incomplete dominant mutations is that a caramel is a visual heterozygous (het) for the visual homozygous super caramel.
So pretty much a caramel is a het for super caramel.
It pretty much comes down to its a caramel or it's not.
Another incomplete dominant mutation is zebra. Zebras(Heterozygous form) are het for super zebras (homozygous form)
That is a very simple way of saying it and I'm sure some will argue it's not right but that is how I see it.
Yeh i have heard it argued to be different things ie. Reccessive, poly, and co dom.

What i havent seem to stumbled upon is the super hypo form if being a co dom, are they out there? has nick mutton got some? Did they have some of the issues as super zebs and thats why there not in the hobby ? My mind goes on wondering haha its very interesting cant wait to learn more

Same goes for visual jags are het for the leucitic the lethal super form. There is no het caramel/hypo, zebras or jags it either is what you’re looking at or it’s not.
And super moonglows will be the cleanest whites. Best way to find out is knowing it’s linage. Say you know the parents and one was a super caramel yours would be caramel/hypo. Otherwise you still have a very nice carpet. There are quite hard to determine sometimes you just gotta enjoy em for what they are. Haha love me wilds

As in being a caramel carpet python and not het for caramel? If so, how do I confirm this?
As southern serpents and Brandon have pointed out

A good way of explaining it is caramel is VISUAL het for the super caramel form (very caramelly looking snakes, pretty much no black NOT lethal) just as if you breed 2 visual jags, you will get a super jag aka leucistic which is always lethal and they die full term in the egg, sometimes a few days after hatching

Here’s a typical caramel (star pythons) and a super caramel (Nick mutton) if you breed the 2 typical caramels, you will get something like the super

E5F0C21C-3802-4A0C-B7DB-4AD7491E2F6E.jpeg

8DC74C71-3D7A-4105-8419-7057E3221851.jpeg

As southern serpents and Brandon have pointed out

A good way of explaining it is caramel is VISUAL het for the super caramel form (very caramelly looking snakes, pretty much no black NOT lethal) just as if you breed 2 visual jags, you will get a super jag aka leucistic which is always lethal and they die full term in the egg, sometimes a few days after hatching

Here’s a typical caramel (star pythons) and a super caramel (Nick mutton) if you breed the 2 typical caramels, you will get something like the super

e5f0c21c-3802-4a0c-b7db-4ad7491e2f6e-jpeg.329701

8dc74c71-3d7a-4105-8419-7057e3221851-jpeg.329702
OK I think I understand. So if its a typical caramel, than its het for super caramel. Does that mean a typical caramel is a morph/visual and a het?

OK I think I understand. So if its a typical caramel, than its het for super caramel. Does that mean a typical caramel is a morph/visual and a het?
Yes it is a visual and het for super caramel

Normally het would have the patterning of a wild type, but in this case of caramels it’s a visual difference of more Browns and yellows

Here’s some maths (% being results of a 6 egg clutch)
If u breed caramel to a wild type
You get:

50% caramel offspring
50% wildtype offspring

If you do caramel x caramel you will get:
25% super caramel
50% caramel
25% wildtype

If you do super caramel x caramel you will get
50% super caramel
50% caramel

Super caramel x wildtype:
100% caramel

Yes it is a visual and het for super caramel

Normally het would have the patterning of a wild type, but in this case of caramels it’s a visual difference of more Browns and yellows

Here’s some maths (% being results of a 6 egg clutch)
If u breed caramel to a wild type
You get:

50% caramel offspring
50% wildtype offspring

If you do caramel x caramel you will get:
25% super caramel
50% caramel
25% wildtype

If you do super caramel x caramel you will get
50% super caramel
50% caramel

Super caramel x wildtype:
100% caramel
What would I get if I bred a carpet thats het for albino to a carpet thats het for caramel?

You cant have het for caramel! only VISUAL caramel that is "het" for Super caramel if u breed it with another caramel. If your snake isnt showing caramel colours then its nothing, No caramel, no super caramel, just wild type, Unless its het for albino or axanthic or other similar which you wouldnt know unless you know what the parents are

Putting het alb to wild type will just give u pythons that are 50% het albino meaning theyre either het alb or wild type, but you wont know unless you breed them

Last edited:
the ghost gene is certainly interesting thats for sure. Im still looking into maybe working with them in future

If your snake isnt showing caramel colours then its nothing, No caramel, no super caramel, just wild type
OK then. I doubt he's caramel. Damn, thats annoying! The add said he was. Makes me want to go back to throwing chairs...

I wouldn't get to pissed off you have no choice but to trust the breeder you purchased from.
It's very hard to tell some times if they carry the caramel gene or not and in the end if you arnt breeding then it doesn't matter anyway.
Looking at your picture I would say that your snake could be a caramel. But that is only my opinion it's hard to tell from a picture

I wouldn't get to pissed off you have no choice but to trust the breeder you purchased from.
It's very hard to tell some times if they carry the caramel gene or not and in the end if you arnt breeding then it doesn't matter anyway.
Looking at your picture I would say that your snake could be a caramel. But that is only my opinion it's hard to tell from a picture
Well, hopefully some day I'll find out if he does have it. And like you said, it doesn't matter if I'm not breeding him. Guess I'll forgo the throwing chairs :(
I'm actually hoping to breed pygmy pythons someday down the track. We just don't have enough of them in Brisbane. Anyway, thank you for your help Southernserpent. You to Herpetology. You guys are legends.

Well, hopefully some day I'll find out if he does have it. And like you said, it doesn't matter if I'm not breeding him. Guess I'll forgo the throwing chairs :(
I'm actually hoping to breed pygmy pythons someday down the track. We just don't have enough of them in Brisbane. Anyway, thank you for your help Southernserpent. You to Herpetology. You guys are legends.
I was actually going to breed pygmys this year, but decided my skills arent quite there yet to befeeding snakes pinkie legs haha, they're the only Antaresia species i really like to be honest (and Sdajis Tarbles)

ive noticed a big interest in pygmy pythons lately, so one day i too will breed them
Was very hard to decide not to pair them haha

I was actually going to breed pygmys this year, but decided my skills arent quite there yet to befeeding snakes pinkie legs haha, they're the only Antaresia species i really like to be honest (and Sdajis Tarbles)

ive noticed a big interest in pygmy pythons lately, so one day i too will breed them
Was very hard to decide not to pair them haha
Yeah, I was talking to a mate about them at work today. We're both big fans of pygmies. I'd love to get a pilbara locality pygmy, but I guess as uncommon as pygmies are, anything'll do.
Also, about my carpet, he shed out today and he's displaying colors alot brighter than I'v ever seen before. I'm assuming that these will be his adult colors. He looks really nice :)

Latest posts

Back