Injury? Please help! Deep dent in snakes body

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucidslair

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
This is my first reptile it’s a roughly 8 month old jungle python.
Everything up until this point has seemed fine, it’s been eating properly and I just upgraded it’s food to weaner mice and earlier today he had first one and ate it fine however I’ve just looked in the tank before turning the light off and it’s got a huge indent in its body like the snake has been squeezed or caught it’s body on something and I’m really worried at this point.
https://ibb.co/xhC3k9P
https://ibb.co/jH4kCTs
It looks far more deeper in person than in the photo and it looks like someone has pressed really hard on one side of the snakes body it honestly just doesn’t look right.

What do you guys think?
Should I take it to the vet?

If your worried about any member of your family u should always go to the hospital/vet to make shore it's ok it mite be a wasted journey but it mite also save it's life.

I can't tell what that is from the photo it looks like it could be its feed, like it's getting rolled when digested I could be so wrong but,

I always go to the vet/hospital no matter how much it costs if im worried about a family member

If your worried about any member of your family u should always go to the hospital/vet to make shore it's ok it mite be a wasted journey but it mite also save it's life.

I can't tell what that is from the photo it looks like it could be its feed, like it's getting rolled when digested I could be so wrong but,

I always go to the vet/hospital no matter how much it costs if im worried about a family member
Thanks for the reply, I’m thinking it is from the feed as it looks not as bad this morning.
I just freaked out thinking something was wrong and being my first snake I want it to be as happy and comfortable as it can possibly be.

I cant be the only one who doesnt see anything apart from a lump in the belly?

Offtopic though, you can definitely up your size of feeds, it should be on atleast adult mice

My snake is tiny for it’s age I don’t think it would eat an adult mouse

View attachment 329789
Its tiny for its age because its not being fed enough food for its age - however yes your statement is right, it will be too small for an adult mouse, so i would recommend feeding a weaner every 4-5days, till it weighs about 120g, then move to adult mice

Its tiny for its age because its not being fed enough food for its age - however yes your statement is right, it will be too small for an adult mouse, so i would recommend feeding a weaner every 4-5days, till it weighs about 120g, then move to adult mice
Thank you
It’s old owners weren’t feeding it properly but I intend to

I can see what you mean about the dent. Given it is next to the ingested food item I’d say Shaughan is on the money there. As it is not usual for that to happen, so I can very much appreciate your concern. However, it sounds like the food is being digested OK and so long as what remains moves along, then there is no actual problem. If it were to happen again next feed then that might warrant a vet visit and an X-ray to see what is causing it.

Definitely agree with Herptology’s recommendation of feeding every 5 days or so, at least until your snake gets some decent growth under its belt and can take larger food items.

I realise that you would likely know and do this, but I’ll state it anyway for the benefit of others reading this thread. Keep the heat on 24/7 when feeding your snake through winter to ensure that it can properly digest the food it takes in.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys you’ve made me feel a lot better about it.
The dent can’t be seen anymore and I’m assuming some of the Weiner just wasn’t sitting right in its stomach.
It’s previous owners were seriously under feeding it and with me being a newbie they told me to feed it smaller food like they had been and I just assumed they were right because they had quite a few snakes.
This feed was its first wiener which is way bigger than the food it had been receiving and maybe that’s why it just looked so wrong to me but after more research and all of your comments I’m confident that he is nice and healthy and will definitely be getting his weight up with feeding the poor guy every 5 day’s so he can get to where he should be
But thank you again to everyone that replied and provided comfort in my distress I really appreciate it!

And I do say that is a beautiful snake u have there I like it alot and would be happy to have it in my collection
Congratulations on your first critter
Thanks a lot, he’s beautiful and so so calm
Here is a video I got last night
[doublepost=1598219173,1598218855][/doublepost]
Thanks a lot, he’s beautiful and so so calm
Here is a video I got last night
Apparently videos and even photos are too big to upload
[doublepost=1598219290][/doublepost]https://ibb.co/hFrzvsL
https://ibb.co/r0CgwrM

Latest posts

Back