OPMV and Breeding Loans

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems as though breeding loans may well be a thing of the past. The current recommended quarantine peroid for new reptiles is 12months and when you consider that you will also have to quarantine your animal on it's return to protect the rest of your collection, with the exception of rarer species or morph's, a breeding loan is simply not worth while.
It is believed that this virus can lay dormant for anywhere up to 10 months hence the 12 month recommendation.
Now consider a proposed breeding loan where the owner of the male has asked for as many females as possible to put across their snake. Makes it kind of hard to ensure adequate quarantine wouldn't you think?

The threat of OPMV is very real. So much so that the VHS has decided not to hold their expo next year even though this years was reportedly a huge success.

Buck , how could you trust some-one else that much with the hygine of your animals with a breeding loan arangment .? . Like you said , i think it will be a thing of the past . It is a sad thing , the way of the future of herps , i think it will get worse before it gets better . I woud have love to have been able to go to an expo . Jim

Once again Buck is speaking about something he knowsnothing about although he is attempeting to make it appear that I wish to put my male across many females which is indeed not the case. I am looking for one and there will be conditions set. Conditions which he knows nothing about. Unfortunately some people do a minimal amount of reading on a subject and think they know everything about everything.

Interesting

Unfortunately it seems as though breeding loans may well be a thing of the past. The current recommended quarantine peroid for new reptiles is 12months and when you consider that you will also have to quarantine your animal on it's return to protect the rest of your collection, with the exception of rarer species or morph's, a breeding loan is simply not worth while.
It is believed that this virus can lay dormant for anywhere up to 10 months hence the 12 month recommendation.

Don't want to throw a cat amongst the pigeons!!

Interesting you say with the exception of rarer species or morphs. Why is this the case? It seems to me that these would be the sort of animals that a strict quarantine regimen would be most beneficial/necessary. Is it a matter of the rarer the species the faster the breeder wants to produce highly priced offspring. The same goes for morphs. Are OPMV rules flexible? (sarcastic)

Financial gain is not a valid reason to bend these rules. I know you will probably say it is necessary to build numbers and to make them available to the "regular herper." I don't think this is the case. They will never be released into the wild. I won't make many friends with these comments but it is my humble opinion. If this is indeed the reason, then it is not applicable for morphs (there is no reason other than aesthetics - and financial reward to breed morphs).

My 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Don't want to throw a cat amongst the pigeons!!

Interesting you say with the exception of rarer species or morphs. Why is this the case? It seems to me that these would be the sort of animals that a strict quarantine regimen would be most beneficial/necessary. Is it a matter of the rarer the species the faster the breeder wants to produce highly priced offspring. The same goes for morphs. Are OPMV rules flexible? (sarcastic)

Financial gain is not a valid reason to bend these rules. I know you will probably say it is necessary to build numbers and to make them available to the "regular herper." I don't think this is the case. They will never be released into the wild. I won't make many friends with these comment but it is my humble opinion. If this is indeed the reason, then it is not applicable for morphs (there is no reason other than aesthetics - and financial reward to breed morphs).

My 2 cents worth.

My reasonong for that statement is due to the fact that you would be willing to undergo the recommended quarantine peroids for those types of animals were as you would be inclined to not bother with more common species. That's all. I'm not saying you should cut corners, if anything totally the opposite.

Thanks

My reasonong for that statement is due to the fact that you would be willing to undergo the recommended quarantine peroids for those types of animals were as you would be inclined to not bother with more common species. That's all. I'm not saying you should cut corners, if anything totally the opposite.

Thanks for the clarification Buck...

Once again Buck is speaking about something he knowsnothing about although he is attempeting to make it appear that I wish to put my male across many females which is indeed not the case. I am looking for one and there will be conditions set. Conditions which he knows nothing about. Unfortunately some people do a minimal amount of reading on a subject and think they know everything about everything.

Hmm hang on a sec.... Is this your reply after RevDaniel replied saying that his female will be ok for next year??

sweet would like to see if anyone else is up for it as well

Thanks for the kind PM's by the way. Seeing as though you are intent on reporting me to mods I might just do the same.

and where does it say that I plan on multiples??? come on show me where it says that??? I know Daniel and his is to young at the moment which would give time to quaratine, And for your info (not that I need to explain myself to you) but it is good to have option of size pattern and colour. If you go to buy a car do you buy the first one you see do you? Only if you are and idiot maybe....It's called options. Oh but wiat you would know that seeing as you know everything about everything hey???

Hmm hang on a sec.... Is this your reply after RevDaniel replied saying that his female will be ok for next year??

Thanks for the kind PM's by the way. Seeing as though you are intent on reporting me to mods I might just do the same.

that doesnt mean he wants multiple breedings!!!!! just a variety to choose from..... if i was to do it i'd like to choose one from a few to get one you like the look of best.....

a choice is better than taking the first available!

when we buy a snake we choose what we are visually attracted to yes? same thing? yes

I am frustrated by both the lack of awareness and total disregard from other members, of OPMV on this site. All I am trying to do is help raise awareness of the dangers of certain activities in relation to OPMV.
So tell me old wise one.....how much do you know about OPMV?? Not much I bet. Probably as much as I do. In fact to try and make out otherwise would be a total crock as very little is known. Oh but someone as well read as yourself would know that. The reason so little is known is due to the fact that most keepers/breeders who have an outbreak go underground so as not to damage their reputation. Unfortunately it doesn't help us learn any more about it.

and where does it say that I plan on multiples??? come on show me where it says that??? I know Daniel and his is to young at the moment which would give time to quaratine, And for your info (not that I need to explain myself to you) but it is good to have option of size pattern and colour. If you go to buy a car do you buy the first one you see do you? Only if you are and idiot maybe....It's called options. Oh but wiat you would know that seeing as you know everything about everything hey???

Well when you say "as well" it implies more then one. You didn't say " I'll keep it in mind" or anything. You said "sweet" implying that it sounded like you were ok with it then that you were looking for others as well.

this reminds me of the turn of the millenium..... the end of the world is near!!!!! lol

we know its out there buck..... your acting like a jehovas doorknocker trying to turn everyone.

not true at all. Good breeders don't go under ground. And for info, the reason there is little known about this disease is that there is multiple strains of it. it is almost like the cold virus, it is hard to detect due to the strains of it. the only way to detect the disease is via a post mortum. Also the incubation period is UPTP 11months. Cases have been found where animals of less then 10 months old have died from this disease which blows you theory of 10 months out of the water. As I said to you once before. I admire your sentiments but I don't appreciate the manner in which you have chosen to do it. You fail to understand that people will switch off if you try to be nasty or forceful. All you can do is inform people of the disease and let them make their own discissions. It is not for you or me to tell anyone what they have to do. You have made your post more about attacking me and my idea then informing people all that does is put you off side with people. If you wish to truely assist and inform then do it in an polite and informative manner and not as an attack. Maybe then we will be appreciative instead off just being annoyed by your comments.

What Buck is saying is very real.

Some who know us know that we were so worried about OPMV we stopped buying anything back in April as we have heard of it around so much.

About 2 months ago, a diamond we had for 10 months started showing neurological signs. We euthanized it and got it tested - it came positive back for OPMV. We did not observe the 12 month quarantine period, we only quarantined for 6 months. So this diamond took 10 MONTHS to show up the disease, and by that time it was in the same room as the rest of our collection. We don't and won't know if anything else will be affected, but nothing is stopping us from losing everything and we have a large collection. We have shut up shop since the confirmation and won't be trading in reptiles for at least 12 months after the last snake gets sick.

It's very very real people....we were so careful and told we were paranoid because we weren't buying anything...and we still ended up having it.

No one knows enough about the disease to even know how it's spread...that's the scary thing, but snakes do appear to catch it from each other in the same room quite easily. There are NO TESTS and NO CURE for the disease. It can wipe your whole collection and and has in many cases in Australia and the world.

well im glad to put in my 2 cents worth that the opmv has not had a breakout in darwin so im happy to get my snakes off a 12yo professional seller/breeder.........i feel bad for the ppl who have opmv bad in thier states:(

That's the problem Simone...OPMV doesn't respect reputation or time in the hobby.

The only way you can be sure you don't have it, is to quarantine any new arrivals for 12 MONTHS away from the rest of your collection. The person we got our infected snake off only had one other snake and were a decent keeper..so the odds of that snake having OPMV was very small, but it still did. If we had have quarantined for 12 months, we would have saved everything else.

Some of the most reputable breeders that have been in it for decades have had outbreaks. The other thing about the disease, is that it is a taboo to admit it, and many ignore that they have had it or might have it and keep trading. This is why it has spread so badly lately.

I would like to say thankyou to Nome for always being up front with what happened to them. just goes to show that people don't go underground. Also Aussie makes a very good point. There are a lot animals out there that have never been in contact with other snakes and therefore from what is know they are out of the risk circle... I know of many people who have not had their animals in contact with any others and they would be perfect for what I am thinking of. Like I said there is conditions which Buck has at no time bothered to ask me about. He has just assumed he knows what is going on. It is a shame really.........

Unfortunatly APL just beacause you havent heard of any out breaks in NT doesnt mean its not there. Not everyone is as upfront and honest as Nome is. Her and her partners integrity has been amazing and has made me realize just how serious and incidious disease is. It seems to me from what I have read that most people with suspected or confirmed opmv dont say a thing, some others lose a snake and put it down to something else.
You can never be too careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back