Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rossagon said:
Hmmm loopholes, may have something to do with gifts from landholders. But I'm no expert!!

thats one of the ones ive heard, i beleive(not 100% sure) that is how the youngest came to the territory wildlife park. but, these dont think it includes private keepers lol, or else i would have asked some friends of mine who are traditional land owners to keep their eyes open for them :wink:

Hi guys
I'm new here. I used to keep reptiles and am going to get back into it. I have worked around the country and always took opportunites to go looking for local herps. There are Oenpelli Pythons at the Territory Wildlife Park. They were not on display the days I was there as there was a cyclone warning and their cages are outdoors. The guide organised me to go backstage and look at them. They were not in great condition in my opinion. I would guess they were wild caught. According to other locals i had met while working in Darwin, Oenpellis are very hard to find and live up high in rocky outcrops that are off the beaten tracks. I was told the areas are basically inaccessible and carefully monitored by rangers for poachers. Also being predominantly nocturnal and also rare would make it hard to find them. That is what a few local guys up there told me. I did hear of a guy with Oenpelli pythons in South oz about 8 years ago, but did not know his name. My guess that they are around, but probably not legally.

Sadly, there are many loopholes in law with Traditional landowners. I have worked for many mining companies and they use them all the time. It is called money! It speaks all languages...

Here in Europe, and in the USA I heard the same, since 8-9 years there is a rumor: the presence of a bunch of those creatures in Canada (?). Have you ever heard a thing like that?
Cheers
Stefano

GetCoiled said:
Here in Europe, and in the USA I heard the same, since 8-9 years there is a rumor: the presence of a bunch of those creatures in Canada (?). Have you ever heard a thing like that?
Cheers
Stefano

ive only heard of one overseas and i beleive the animal died awhile ago

thought i would bring this post back up and see if anyone has put these loopholes into action or know any more news on the subject

Thought it was time to bring this thread to life again ...

Being a relativel newcomer to Herping world (2 years), I have only just found out about the existence of these snakes, at least as Australian. I'd seen their name written down, but had always assumed that they were an exotic.

Is there any current news on them? Any successful breeding programs in wildlife parks following loophole exploitation?

Are they really:
a) the biggest or 2nd biggest Australian Snake?
b) not that rare in their native habitat?

Cheers,
Nic

When my father discovered this python it was very controversial. He named it himself and there was a picture of me with it in the bath printed in the NT News at the time, which I know have the original on my wall. I was about 4 years old which would make it about 1983. My mother knows the full story of it's discovery, if your interested let me know and I will ask her and post it. I believe at the time alot of the well know herp's didn't believe that there could possibly be another species but dad knew better and finally due to the patterns and the scale count they had to agree. As to whether or not anyone has them in captiviy at the moment I couldn't be sure.
Graeme Gow's Snakes of Australia Revised edition 1983 has a picture of an oenpelli python on the cover. When I bought the book in 1984 it was the first time I'd read about this python and I haven't heard much about them since. Previous to the release of his book most of the books I'd read classed most morelia as carpet pythons.

Does anyone keep or breed them? or was it just a new specie classification that got reclassified?

Just curious

Stephen

The story I heard (from someone who knows Peter well) is that Peter had a pair on a research permit. Apparently after years of study & failed attempts at breeding, he finally succeeded in producing a clutch. As soon as that happened, the department stepped in, took the lot, and cancelled the project. True? I cant say, but my source is reliable, and similar situations have happened before. As far as I'm aware, Oenpellis aren't permitted on any state's schedules.

cant see any really reason why we cant keep them. hopfuly some one will get them and start breeding them like rough scales and kimbirly rock monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back