Herps on Hamilton?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hsut77

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am attending a wedding on Hamilton Island in eight weeks and I was wondering if anyone knows what sort of herps can be spotted there? The whole family will be there including the mother-in-law so I may want to 'escape' as we are there for a whole week. Any advise valued!:D

I have been there a few times as half my family lives there(i would hate being stuck on a rock) and theres quite a few herps. I hadnt seen any snakes the times i had been before until about the middle of last year when i went. Theres a few pics in my album in the personal galleries..unfortunately my memory card malfunctioned and started deleting pictures randomly off it, so not all pics are there.
I saw a few GTS, BTS, Goulds monitors? or yellow spotted monitors? didnt stop to have a look. Green tree frogs. And if you go to Whitehaven beach you will most likely see a lacey or 2 which will usually come up to. There a bush walk on that takes u to a look out on top of the island that has great views. I was about 9 when i walked up there last and dont really remember it all that well, but you will probably see some reptiles.

Catch a ferry to shute harbour and go to conway national park or around cannonvale and there's heaps of herps. Proserpine is also 20 mins away.

there is a zoo on the island, pretty good not to many reptiles they have a big croc. pic from island.

hope you like cockatoos?????

IMG_0553.jpg

You will see a few Goannas, Small skinks etc.. maybe some marine turtles.

I live on the island for a while a few years ago, never came across any snakes though, just Goannas wondering all over the place.

Tourists+Picnic Area = Goannas ;)

the zoo was there last year when i went????

really? i swear its not there anymore, because where it use to be (i think? i had never been there but my parents told me where it was) is now a road with houses and units being built and a large pond; which would have heaps of frogs and snakes if you went down there at night...maybe i had been told lies all these years? lol

yeah def still there it has a shop biult onto it you can have breakfast WITH the animals and photos all that touristy crap..

ohhh maybe its a different place...is it the place near the main resort resort that has all the shops and has a picture of a croc out side?

Yeah the Wildlife Cafe is still on the island, on the resort side or the island just near the buggy hire. Its really quite small and the croc there is in a very small enclosure. As for snakes, I used to live on Hamo and did not once see any, even when we used to go for hikes on the more untouched part of the island...

Oh yeah and as for the cockatoos, DO NOT leave your doors or windows to your room/unit open unattended or you will come home to a trashed room, with sugar alllllllll over the floor...trust me, they are smart little things...

oh yeh i know that little place, not the one i was thinking of. There use to be another years back called 'the fauna reserve' or something along those lines.
My aunty called me to come and get a GTS out of one of her shops and i had to get a BTS from one of her friends places and found another 2 GTS around the house...but as i said before i had never found any snakes around the place before. Theres also plenty of asian house geckos around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back