• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Pythons and Snakes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Velvet Worms

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryony

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am after some Velvet Worms, any sub species.

Would rather CB but not that fussed as i have not seen for sale.

Contact me via here or email
bryony_stracey@(nospam)hotmail.com
remove the (nospam)

Attachments

• nodocapitis_inornatus.jpg
    nodocapitis_inornatus.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 292
Hi bryony.
what are they are they a feeder or a pet. never herd of them
if you let me know I can look for you.
cheers
bylo

they are for pets i assume, and they are very very cool.
we see them out at work fairly often, in fact i saw some young ones today.
they secrete a very very sticky substance that dries instantly like glue onto their prey to immobilize it. they eat termites and other insects, and have been found in the bottom of funnel web spider holes.....with just a spider carcass left!

they rae actually endangered in alot of places, Australia, and in particular the area here around canberra, has some of the richest colonies of them! we had some scientists come out to work one day and tell us all about them, and they went and found some to show us.
down here we mostly get the turqouise ones, they are beautiful! and the babies are white, and so tiny!
I would offer to get you some Bryony, but I am not sure what the go is with them... are they protected? would i get into trouble for taking them?

i have no idea, as far as i know......there isnt much stuff on them.
i guess its ok...i mean how do people start CB colonies of spiderlings ect?

well, leave it with me. i will see if i can find the colony again tomorrow if you like, and do a little more research to make sure its not against the law to take them, and if you have had no luck elsewhere maybe i can get you some...?
as i said, the only ones i have seen here are the turqouise ones, (we call them blue suede worms :p ) but they are really gorgeous

i dont think they have ever been bred in aust, not that i have heard of, angua, if you can get me some i will try and change that. i know keepers in the states but yea, no1 in aus. Let us know how you go.

thanx angua21 :)

I may also try and breed them and get them into the creepy crawly pet scene

My understanding of them is that they are quiet, secluded insects and each area they come from has a different colour patten

These 'blue suede worms' sounds beautiful :)

i think i may have just found 2 velvet worms, they have the right proportions but are only 3-4mm and white, got pics of babies so i can compare?

They give birth to live young and are an exact replica but only smaller.

The color variations are completely different depending on the locality of it tho...

This pic is on a bub

Attachments

• velvet_worm_mario.jpg
    velvet_worm_mario.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 312
lol bry that pic there is an adult, the max size is 10cm but thats for exotics, aussie species range from 2-4cm

also young would be born white as most inverts are, coloring up after a moult or 2

well the site i took the pic from said it was a baby

i have not been able to find much info on them in aust

nah the guy who owns them, thats the mum of his 7 babies that he has bred

also young would be born white as most inverts are, coloring up after a moult or 2

I know, i was saying depending on where you are will depend on what color it is, we have 74 described species in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back