Anyone know a dingo breeder???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eladidare

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all, just found out that it was perfectly legal to keep dingos as pets... so now of course, i want one!
cheers Ryan

Do a LOT of research and make sure you know what you are in for, in particular with fencing (some are such good escape artists its been known that some need fully enclosed areas to keep them in). They also don't tend to like change, so ensure you can keep them til the day they die.

Do a google and you will get plenty more info.

They are beautiful animals, but personally I think they should just be admired in the wild.

Even though they are allowed as pets in NSW, ensure your council allows them.

cheers mate, ive been into them for a long time...
thanks for all that usefull info.
I dont usually take advice from falcon ppl though...lol
cheers again
Ryan

No worries. They aren't an animal to rush into.

You'll find it will be hard to get a reputable breeder to sell you one unless you know a lot about them and their care anyway. And if they do, they aren't reputable and I'd steer clear. Chances are their lines wouldn't be pure anyway. There are DNA tests that can be done by Sydney Uni that I think are pretty accurate.

Its a shame Bruce Jacobs isn't around anymore, he was an eccentric in Castlemaine VIC who had a dingo farm - he died a few years back and loved the dingo more than anything else. To live with no town water or electricity, just surrounded by his dingos, you would have to love them.

Unlike normal dogs they havnt been selectivly bred for personality and are usually more difficult to tame. Even then i beleive they have been known to turn on ppl.

Crap pets Ryan. I've only ever come across three authenticpet dingoes, two have been destroyed for killing domestic animals and the other is a complete fruitcake.

ive been doing a little bit more reading up on them, and decided to learn a bit more about them before i do get one, but just out of curiosity, how much do they go for?

Crap pets Ryan. I've only ever come across three authenticpet dingoes, two have been destroyed for killing domestic animals and the other is a complete fruitcake.

Yes, they are wild dogs, and have their problems. I can assure you they won't live nicely with your cat or bunny rabbit. Even other dogs would be a fairly sure No No.

As for being complete fruitcakes, its very possible, but I've also come across more Cattle Dogs (and surprisingly Border Collies) that are bigger fruitcakes than Dingos. :D (Not having a go at those particular breeds by the way, but without the stimulation those breeds need they can go 'stir crazy'.)

Fender the "fruitcake" i mentioned cost about $750 about 12 years ago so i guess you won't get a lot of change out of 1200 to 1500 now

the thing is im not a big fan of dogs, but ive always wanted a dingo just for the fact its classed as 'wild'... the only rabbits ive ever had wouldnt be bothered by dingos, being frozen and all, and a good cat is the one in the dogs mouth as far as im concerned...lol.

i had one for a while when i was working as a dogger they are not a pet, they do not train and i wouldnt recommend them to anyone

im a farm boy, so wanting a dingo for that reasons is perfectly reasonable, i only like wildlife, dogs and cats are rubbish city peoples pets!
but i do know where your coming from
cheers for your input champ
Ryan

i knew a lady who bought a dingo x as a puppy. it was really nippy then. i didn't see how it turned out but she had 3 or 4 kids so i hope they were ok at least. her youngest was only 2 and it was mainly inside so i think she was stupid for getting it. it was really cute though! i doubt they would make a good indoor family dog lol

I know a few people who have them and they woulnd't have any other dog. They recon they are great with other dogs & kids! Warning though they are still wild dogs.

i too have a friend who had a pet dingo, beautiful dog gr8 temperment and all... It lived to a ripe old age and passed away on their farm, his mother had it from a pup and she had 5 kids all of which grew up with the dingo around... personally i would not have 1 but if you want one and have the time for 1, why not?

Yah, you can't keep them with other pets.

Before Coffs Zoo closed down, they had a female dingo. They tried to breed her, left in her with the male and the next day they came back and she had killed him.

She was a bit aggressive towards people she didn't know as well. I reckon you'd have to be pretty silly to keep one as a pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back