This is bollocks!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waruikazi

Legendary
Reaction score
I spent all morning ringing people at the NT parks and wildlife trying to find out if there is anyone that does an acredited snake handling course up here in the NT. After ringing about 5 different people who kept giving me another number to call i finally got in touch with the guy who does the course that is recognised by NTPWS.

So i had a chat to him, he was really helpful and let me know he was holding a course this weekend out in Jabiru. Then he asked me why i wanted to do the course. Now there are several reasons why i want to do this course one is that my long term career aspirations would benefit from it, two i keep getting called by friends and staff at the school i work at to remove snakes that they have seen which i didn't want to tell him because i'm not sure that it is legal. But the reason that i gave him was the shortest one so that i didn't take up too much of his time, that reason was because i want to keep elapids some day in the future. Then he informed me that he can't do courses for any other reason than for people who do snake removals because NTPWS don't like people keeping elapids.

So basically i can't do this course.... which sucks real hard. Feels like i been kicked in face :(

Did you give him your name yet?

Just get one of your mates to call him and book in under your name (tell him what he wants to hear), then you show up on the day.

donk

that sucks.... just ring up with a different name in a couple of days and say that you want to get it for a removal licence ;) hehehehe.... but seriously.... that sucks... and good luck....

Well i'm thinking of calling back, our phone call got cut short because he had just arrived at a removal. I don't want to do anything that is dishonest.

But man do i want to do this course!

i wouldnt see it as dishonest..... making sticking it to the man LMAO.... thats not fair that you cant do it to further your herp experience so stuff it i reckon..... thats my opinion though.... :lol:

So ring him back and tell him the truth, that you are already doing removals and you want to do it safely and legally and you need his course to do that.

Point out why you didn't want to tell him this reason in the first place.

Don't you know anyone who could give you a private lesson?

I want to do a course that is recognised by NTPWS so that i can do call outs oneday and have that extra certificate in my resume to show to who ever i ask for a job in the future. And apparently we can't keep hots here int the NT, or so i just found out today so i don't know anyone who could.

So ring him back and tell him the truth, that you are already doing removals and you want to do it safely and legally and you need his course to do that.

Point out why you didn't want to tell him this reason in the first place.

I think i will. I'l give it half an hour.

Do you have to become a member of a registered rescue group to do the course as in NSW? and you don't want to? I also did not know you can't keep vens in the NT? wow that's a downer!

Do you have to become a member of a registered rescue group to do the course as in NSW? and you don't want to? I also did not know you can't keep vens in the NT? wow that's a downer!

I don't know if we are not allowed to or if they just don't want us to so make it as difficult as possible for us.

Gordo, I've kept Suta Suta and Suta Punctata in the NT before on license. Got rid of them a few years back but got a letter for Parks and Wildlife last year stating that if I wanted to keep vens I could because I had before. I have never wanted to keep dangerously venemous snakes so I didn't reply. The conditions were stricter and from memory, and I could be wrong, it required an officer to come to your house to inspect your enclosures for saftey reasons. I've always found Parks and Wildlfe to be most obliging and professional. Not sure who can help you in Darwin. We have a handler come to my place of employment to train the guards how to capture venemous snakes. Good luck....

Ok i rang him back. And i tell you this guy is an absolute champion. He's told me that it is absolutely impossible to find a way for me to do this handling course but he has told me how to go about getting my class 2 licence to keep vens. I have to get my class 1 first and keep it for two years etc etc. So i'm going to do that... right now!

AND he told me why it has become impossible for just any old person in the NT to do a ven handling course. It was ONE person who ruined it for everyone else... stupid greedy people.

Gordo, I've kept Suta Suta and Suta Punctata in the NT before on license. Got rid of them a few years back but got a letter for Parks and Wildlife last year stating that if I wanted to keep vens I could because I had before. ....

I just found out that we are allowed to keep vens, they just don't like us doing it.

I can't do a removal course because he and one other fella hold the contract in the Darwin Litchfeild Shire area for removals, so no one else can get clearance from NTPWS for anyone else in the area to do remaovals so there is no reason to do the course. I'm hoping to find some kind of loophole that has to do with education, because i will be finishing my education degree in a few months time but it is still along shot.

so no one else can get clearance from NTPWS for anyone else in the area to do remaovals so there is no reason to do the course.

WOW that must be a very profitable course, especially that no one can do it :lo: :rolleyes:

It's good to hear you can keep vens though. Good luck in your future endevours mate.

I like how the guy gets to pick who does and doesn't do the course. Next he'll be banning smokers and drinkers because the NT parks and wildlife disagree with that sort of thing also :rolleyes: If you are offering a course, and person wanting to attend this course is abiding by all the laws of the land you are obliged to perform that service IMO, by not doing so you are leaving yourself open to some form of discrimination I'd imagine.

(ps: Does discrimination exist in the Northern Territory?? :lol: :lol:)

I like how the guy gets to pick who does and doesn't do the course. Next he'll be banning smokers and drinkers because the NT parks and wildlife disagree with that sort of thing also :rolleyes: If you are offering a course, and person wanting to attend this course is abiding by all the laws of the land you are obliged to perform that service IMO, by not doing so you are leaving yourself open to some form of discrimination I'd imagine.

(ps: Does discrimination exist in the Northern Territory?? :lol: :lol:)

It's not actually his decision on who does the course. He needs to get clearance from NTPWS on who does and doesn't do it because there were others who were running courses like this and then taking people out and removing snakes from the wild. So the ball is not really in his court.

I spent all morning ringing people at the NT parks and wildlife trying to find out if there is anyone that does an acredited snake handling course up here in the NT. After ringing about 5 different people who kept giving me another number to call i finally got in touch with the guy who does the course that is recognised by NTPWS.

So i had a chat to him, he was really helpful and let me know he was holding a course this weekend out in Jabiru. Then he asked me why i wanted to do the course. Now there are several reasons why i want to do this course one is that my long term career aspirations would benefit from it, two i keep getting called by friends and staff at the school i work at to remove snakes that they have seen which i didn't want to tell him because i'm not sure that it is legal. But the reason that i gave him was the shortest one so that i didn't take up too much of his time, that reason was because i want to keep elapids some day in the future. Then he informed me that he can't do courses for any other reason than for people who do snake removals because NTPWS don't like people keeping elapids.

So basically i can't do this course.... which sucks real hard. Feels like i been kicked in face :(

Lie like everyone else does to get what you want at least in this instance you wont be hurting or ripping anyone else off. Wrong I know but this is how society works.:x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back