greyhounds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hodges

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hello, does anyone here have greyhounds/race greyhounds if so i would love to see some pictures, my dad and i are getting back into racing them, im getting a blue brindle just have to wait to they break her in
cheers
brad

I love greyhounds.

When I was a child my pop was a trainer and owner so we always had a couple of greyhounds. His favourite was Ragtime Rose (Mindy) who was also his pet, she was the only greyhound allowed inside the house and she was spoilt! She was also his most successful dog. The others I can remember are Perfect Chariot (Nudge) and Tolcam Twiggy. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of them :(

Once retired from the track they make great pets, despite popular belief.

I love greyhounds.

When I was a child my pop was a trainer and owner so we always had a couple of greyhounds. His favourite was Ragtime Rose (Mindy) who was also his pet, she was the only greyhound allowed inside the house and she was spoilt! She was also his most successful dog. The others I can remember are Perfect Chariot (Nudge) and Tolcam Twiggy. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of them :(

Once retired from the track they make great pets, despite popular belief.

:D, yea my dad used to take me to the orange racing track were he was in charge of sometihng lol he would take me into where all the dogs where held and it was so loud lol from all the dogs barking and what not, he told me how he had to put dogs down didnt phase him one bit, ill post some pictures of our greyhound when we get her
cheers
brad

hello, does anyone here have greyhounds/race greyhounds if so i would love to see some pictures, my dad and i are getting back into racing them, im getting a blue brindle just have to wait to they break her in
cheers
brad

Wow.. That sounds charming.

I've never owned a greyhound myself but I have friends who are heavily involved with rehoming and rescuing the countless greyhounds that never make it to succeed on the race track after being 'broken in' and that get damaged from the exertion of being raced when often aren't developed properly.

Last edited:
I don't know any for racing....
But an old work colleague has ex-racing greyhound adoption :)

Just a question....what did/do you do with your ex-racers?
I know many of them in Sydney go towards terminal blood donation...

I don't know any for racing....
But an old work colleague has ex-racing greyhound adoption :)

Just a question....what did/do you do with your ex-racers?
I know many of them in Sydney go towards terminal blood donation...

many were put down (harsh i no) or keept as a pet
cheers
brad

'Breaking in' a greyhound simply involves teaching it to chase a bait. It's really not as bad as it sounds, and certainly no worse than 'breaking in' a horse.

Bryony, our ex-race dogs were kept as pets (pop lived on acreage). What is terminal blood donation?

What is terminal blood donation?

Terminal blood donation - Where the owner of the race dog donates it for the sole purpose of blood donation till death is accomplished.

Since not many people bring their dogs in for blood donation...this is the most common way to supply blood.

Eep. What is the blood needed for? Sick dogs requiring transfusions? I had no idea there was such a thing as a blood donation program for dogs. You learn something new every day!

It's a bit sad to think that the greyhound is basically sacrificed for it's blood though. They make such great pets, I wish I had acreage - I'd keep loads of them.

Eep. What is the blood needed for? Sick dogs requiring transfusions? I had no idea there was such a thing as a blood donation program for dogs. You learn something new every day!

It's a bit sad to think that the greyhound is basically sacrificed for it's blood though. They make such great pets, I wish I had acreage - I'd keep loads of them.

yea, no way will i be puting my greyhound down she's beautifull, i cant wait to show you guys her
cheers
brad

we used to have a retired greyhound when i was a kid..............
was the best dog i ever had!!!!!!!!!!
i loved the ace ventura walk she had goin on :p

ps 'RIP lilly we miss u girl'

Last edited:

Yes the blood is used for sick dogs whose owners can afford a transfusion. These grayhounds are surrendered for that sole purpose and if kept alive as a pet serious legal issuse can arise.
If they were not used for blood donation they had to be euthanased.

I would much rather a dog be beneficial to others than just be pointlessly put down.

Yes the blood is used for sick dogs whose owners can afford a transfusion. These grayhounds are surrendered for that sole purpose and if kept alive as a pet serious legal issuse can arise.
If they were not used for blood donation they had to be euthanased.

I would much rather a dog be beneficial to others than just be pointlessly put down.

???

Like I said..... Charming.

*exits thread*

P.s. It's true.

apparently handling ur snake is charming too :rolleyes:

Miss B it sounds terrible witht eh blood doner thing... but without it my border collie wouldnt be alive (had major complications with her one and only pregnancy)....

It is sad that they get put down... they make great pets.... my grandfather bred and raced both greyhound and horses (horses were used in the trots).... the greyhound were treated a hell of alot better than the horses ever were....

Yeah I agree with you on that one.

If I did have acreage though, I'd want to get a couple of greyhounds (who had been surrendered for rehoming as pets) from a greyhound rescue organisation. They are beautiful animals; I just hate the idea of them being treated as a commodity and destroyed just because they no longer have the potential to earn money.

my horsey got made into dog food after i stopped riding her.....

well.... it was my sisters horsey.
butn after a year of lessons, her teacher asked if i wanted a go, so i did...
and was better than my sister, so her teacher wanted to teach me instead...
i got bored after my father said i'd have to go to pony club if i wanted to continue...
i really dislike the country.... and pony club people are all smelly and dirty....
and they got up EARLY!

was horrible...
so i quit...
then she became dog food....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back