Darwin Crocodylus Park

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm getting a little arced up at the ignorance being shown here too. And dont get me started on wild vs. domestic thing.

You think the tiger would have kilometres of territory? Where exactly? In the jungles of Asia where they are on the verge of extinction in the wild due to habitat loss and poaching? Or perhaps in the circus which is where I believe one of their original tigers came from as a captive bred circus animal from a closing circus?
Have you considered that perhaps the enclosure is adequate by tiger husbandry standards, and receives the best care and attention?

Do you really think the NT Govenrment is going to let one of it's major tourist attractions display animals that are neglected or in poor husbandry conditions? The park has a large amount of government regulation and not only adheres to codes of practice and standards, but I wouldnt be surprised if it wrote the codes of practice to be used in other facilities around the world.

When farming these animals for meat and hide, having truly overcrowded pens would result in high mortality rates and damage to the valuable skins. I think you'll find if you ask actual experts, years of research and trial & error have been put into figuring out the number of crocs kept in a pen of a certain size. It would be carefully calculated to work out it's capacity to balance available space with the welfare of the product.

Dr Webb is one of the most world-reknowned crocodile experts, and the research conducted at the park is at the highest level on a global scale. In his decades of experience he has probably done more to help the scientific community and the public to understand crocodilians than anyone else. Just because he didnt wrestle some crocodiles on the Discovery channel or have an occer catchphrase, you might not have heard of him before.

Did you speak with any of the management or research staff while you were there? Did you question anybody about the conditions while you were so outraged?
In your expert opinion, with your years of experience in crocodile farming and zookeeping, did you honestly see ANY sick, injured, malnourished or otherwise unhealthy animals in your visit?

Last edited:
like i said i didnt want to make an enemy but it seems your not to happy with my point of view.

All i can say is go out into a croc filled river...find a dominate croc and find out how much water is in its territory, and compare to whats at Crocodylus for some of those crocs. You do not need a degree or PHD to work out that keeping an animal of that size in some of those enclosures is cruel, inhumane and taking advantage of that animal. You can keep just about any herp healthy with heat, water and food, but no one knows the mental state of any of those animals.

I dont care if Mr. Webb hasnt wrestled crocs on the discovery channel or didnt hav an aussie catchphrase, but the bloke who did was spot on with his views on croc farms and the respect that needs to be shown towards these animals.

Dude like glider said "Do you really think the NT Govenrment is going to let one of it's major tourist attractions display animals that are neglected or in poor husbandry conditions? If that were the case the place wouldve been shut down years ago.... But at least they are getting fed and looked after. In the wild a croc dont always eat it dont always survive due to others fighting and killing each other. So far at croco park there has been no casualties...

Not everyone gets to be the dominant croc.

Farming IS taking advantage of an animal. Are you vegetarian? Are you on a farm enthusiast forum spruiking the plight of chickens and pigs that died for your table?

You're right, nobody knows the mental state of a croc, captive or not. But with a brain the size of a walnut, I think it's a pretty safe bet that as long as all it's basic needs are met, it really doesn't care.

I commend your want to see these animals treated well, but I think perhaps it's misguided. Instead of coming back to an internet forum whinging about perceived harsh and unjust travesties you have witnessed, perhaps researching the subject fully before you go off making yourself look uneducated and self-righteous. Then having formed an educated opinion if you still felt it was wrong you would probably realise a more effective avenue to go about changing the world than sitting on a forum badmouthing an excellent establishment run by dedicated experts.

Well how much is the park worth to the N.T government?
Look I reckon the government has some dodgy regulations on the restrictions on the farming of some animals, and I believe this is to be one of them. I put my opinion out there because I believe its not how some of those animals should be kept, like it or not. But thats why i said agree or disagree at the bottom regardless, I wanted other peoples opinions.
Now I doubt very much we are gonna agree but thats where I stand and I dont blame you for stickin up for your mate. Ive got nothin against the people who work their, just some of the husbandry techniques. I like to see wild animals in a natural environment, or the closest thing to it in captivity (eg. hartly's crocodile adventures or most other zoos).

Sorry if i offended but thats my say and i stand by it 100%

Croc farms have no business in giving every croc a squillion acres of terriotry... where's the money in that? I recently got back from Darwin and I visited the park too. I thought it was great. Those 'tiny cramped' pens were breeding pens, and i assume allow the best access of male to female. Farms have no business and no profit in making the animals comfortable living in a mansion. The bare minimum, without violating laws, is what all farms go for.

I'm currently doing a degree in vet and none of the animals there seemed displeased, all seemed relaxed and in a great body condition, so they aren't stressing or anything. There's always gonna be bleeding hearts who are upset at the conditions, and sure, it'd be great to see them in a little croc mansion, but that just isn't practical.

The lions and tiger were saved from a circus that was closed by the rspca the big cats at crocodylus are very very old and are very well cared for with alot of personal attention ,,,,!
The turtles are injured ones picked up in darwin harbour some are in no need of much room. and the others are awaiting release.
The croc pens are more than adequate they are an acceptable standard and the same size as many of the crocodile farm pens around aus.

Farms have no business and no profit in making the animals comfortable living in a mansion. The bare minimum, without violating laws, is what all farms go for.

QUOTE]

well thats what i get most annoyed about....is that money is the main priority, not the croc

Stop apologising OzRocks. IMO you are correct in every regard.

Well said Glider :)

Crocodylus Park is all about conservation of crocs habitats and the long term future of the species - it was all beautifully and interestingly explained by a guest speaker from Crocodylus Park at the October meeting of HSQ. Until I had listened to this very intelligent educated lady speak with great passion about the care of the crocs and the species future I had no idea what Crocodylus Park was about
Methinks get educated before you vent your anger and frustation about something you saw -
and apparently you do not understand
Sandee :)

havent been recently, but when i was last at the croc park, i thought it was quite good!

I did see that they did have a great deal of land, and I am happy that they are going to use it. Although they should only increase the numbers of crocs on the farm when it is completed, not because they are able to breed or because they have laid eggs.

Let me put this on the table....yes it is a farm, yes it could well be their source of income, and yes it might bring tourists to the area, but no these animals are not domesticated like sheep, pigs, choocks, cows etc.

These animals are still wild, and deserve the respect enough to give them a reasonable amount of space that they are designed for, regardless of whether they are going to the belt factory or stanging as an attraction. and saying that its gonna be done is not good enough.

I would still like to point out the tigers aswell.....a 20m X 20m enclosure isnt room enough for an animal that would otherwise have kilometres of territory

Also Im sure if they wanted to they could halt all breeding by not incubating eggs, removing eggs from nests and not pairing males with females

Mate you really have no idea what you are talking about. As far as i'm aware ALL of the stock they breed live to ONE year until they are slaughtered for the meat and skin trade. they do not have a problem with over stocking.

Immature crocs are not territorial, you will find in the wild immature crocs sitting ontop of each other without a care in the world. The big pen with all those crocs is perfect for them.

As for the breeder aimals they are happy enough to live, feed and reproduce in those pens. If you go to any other commercial croc farm that does the whole touristy thing you will find very similar conditions. They are one of the leading croc farms in Australia, you would really want to do some research before you start saying things like you have said so far.

Yeah, I'm getting a little arced up at the ignorance being shown here too. And dont get me started on wild vs. domestic thing.

You think the tiger would have kilometres of territory? Where exactly? In the jungles of Asia where they are on the verge of extinction in the wild due to habitat loss and poaching? Or perhaps in the circus which is where I believe one of their original tigers came from as a captive bred circus animal from a closing circus?
Have you considered that perhaps the enclosure is adequate by tiger husbandry standards, and receives the best care and attention?

Do you really think the NT Govenrment is going to let one of it's major tourist attractions display animals that are neglected or in poor husbandry conditions? The park has a large amount of government regulation and not only adheres to codes of practice and standards, but I wouldnt be surprised if it wrote the codes of practice to be used in other facilities around the world.

When farming these animals for meat and hide, having truly overcrowded pens would result in high mortality rates and damage to the valuable skins. I think you'll find if you ask actual experts, years of research and trial & error have been put into figuring out the number of crocs kept in a pen of a certain size. It would be carefully calculated to work out it's capacity to balance available space with the welfare of the product.

Dr Webb is one of the most world-reknowned crocodile experts, and the research conducted at the park is at the highest level on a global scale. In his decades of experience he has probably done more to help the scientific community and the public to understand crocodilians than anyone else. Just because he didnt wrestle some crocodiles on the Discovery channel or have an occer catchphrase, you might not have heard of him before.

Did you speak with any of the management or research staff while you were there? Did you question anybody about the conditions while you were so outraged?
In your expert opinion, with your years of experience in crocodile farming and zookeeping, did you honestly see ANY sick, injured, malnourished or otherwise unhealthy animals in your visit?

Couldn't have said it better myself mate. Good post.

OzRocks, you said you wanted conditions to be like most other Zoo's. Which one mate? Taronga? The top zoo in Sydney? I went there with my kids before comming up to the NT 7 years ago and there was a snow leopard in an area the size of half my back yard! And two brown bears (a solitary animal in the wild) in a similar size area. What about all the different species of seals kept in the same pool? Or Adeliade zoo, went there once and saw a siberian tiger in a cage about half the size of my house. So how do they compare?

I havnt been to the croc park but have read and seen it on the telly

for a breeding farm the conditions seem fine (look at any other grow out farms)
not near as healthy?

Get up those ignorent ppl Aussie Python

l want to see the big salties eating tourists in the middle of town . Will it be on UTUBE ?:shock:

I live in Darwin and have only been here for about 2 years before that I lived in NSW. I to was outraged at the conditions of the animals at crocodylus park when I went there for the first time.
I was so angry that I put in a formal complaint to the management. Nothing has changed at the park and the animals continue to suffer. IT is such a shame and I strongly recommend that people DO NOT visit the park and support this kind of animal cruelty

You are not alone Jaxxs, experienced wildlife keepers from all over Australia have done the same thing to no avail.

*Eye roll*

Parks like that must get whinging hippies who have no clue lodging 'formal complaints' all the time. Animals aren't people, very few of them can tell whether theyre in a huge mansion or not. If they have all the things required to live and breed, they're happy as a pig in poo. For an animal like a croc, with a teeny-tiny brain, all it needs is water (provided), sun (provided) and food (provided) to live and breed successfully. And that's what they get. To think that a farm (whose aim is to raise and ultimately kill their stock) would put their charges in 5 star accomodation is naive.

Farms make money, fact. There's no argument to that. The crocs there are perfectly happy for their entire lives (short as they may be). And that's what matters. Just because it looks 'bad' or 'yucky' to you, it doesn't mean the croc thinks so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back