Darwin Crocodylus Park

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont want to get into a "***** Fight" over this, As i have never been to this park, and my comments dont directly relate to that Park in Particular.

I dont think Brain Size should even come into Caging any sought of animal EVER.

As mentioned, If the animal is being Provided with all of the Necessities Food, Water Sun and the like then i dont see a problem- If the animals are breeding in those conditions then it would be safe to say that they are happy, Simple as that, they arent forced to Breed and if they are , good luck to the Keeper Taking care of that side of things!

Moose

Brain size has plenty to do with it. If i wack a highly intelligent dolphin in a pool, but give it the necessities for life... it's gonna be stressed and probably get very sick. If i get a scorpion and put it in a box with sand and some food it'll live there happily forever

Brains of animals are, largely, what determines their interactions with their environments. So as far as capitivity goes, it does play a major factor.

I live in Darwin and have only been here for about 2 years before that I lived in NSW. I to was outraged at the conditions of the animals at crocodylus park when I went there for the first time.
I was so angry that I put in a formal complaint to the management. Nothing has changed at the park and the animals continue to suffer. IT is such a shame and I strongly recommend that people DO NOT visit the park and support this kind of animal cruelty

That is exactly what you should do if you do not like the conditions in this park. DO NOT GO THERE, DO NOT SUPPORT THEM and STOP WHINGING.

They are fair enough Comments PhilK,

But i think you might have missed the point i was trying to make, or i didnt explain myself Correctly.

If you Provide The animal With ALL the Necessities Food/Water/Land and sun (In this Case)
The animal Will Breed - If they didnt Why would croc Farms (or any Farm) for that matter Cram so many Animals into one pen.
Because it Works, The Croc Doesnt Care and i think maybe the animal Breeding Proves that it's Environment is suitable for that paticular animal.

I think in this case Brain size has nothing to do with it- It's all about Providing the Correct Conditions for that Particular animal.

Why do so many of us Breeders of Snakes Keep Hatchlings in Tub Racks?
Because all of the Animals needs are met- Simple if you ask me.

Well then Oz rocks are you going to complain about the oyster farms where every oyster is nearly on top of each other are you going to complain about the trout farms or the barramundi farms and of cause inghams chicken were you get your chickens from??? Well or what about the croc frams up in townsville... These are the standard of breeding facilitys for these crocs. They get to approx 5yrs old then they are slaughtered for importing/exporting need's. Whether ppl are disgusted on how thing's are maybe have a hard and long close about how you keep your python's I can guarantee you dont keep them in a big huge enclosure but a small enclosure you think is perfect for them. And if there was ppl going and complaining there wouldve been something done about it.......But yet stuff all has been done. Don't like it? Dont go there as Gordo has said but if you have bad comments about a place you don't like then keep them to your self..!!!!

Last edited:
Philk they get more then that I start work there next week and when I went in today The pens were in the middle of being cleaned out. All the monkey's pens were clean fresh fruit and veges given etc etc. And the amount of time's I have been there dry food floating in water??? Crap!!! Turtles not having enough dry land to use thats crap also... You see what you would rather see... And as someone had said in an earlier post. The tigers and lions were rescued from a circus, that was treating them worse smaller cages and werent gettin fed as much as they do now.... Oh and another thing OzRock's dont like darwin and what is has its simple realy DONT COME BACK!!!!

For those who havent seen the place I would like to post a few pics... In these pic's I don't see any croc's being in pens that are way too small for them. The lion's are quite at home and comfortable.

And the pond's hmm I don't see any food floating around on top of the water nor do I see any croc's on top of each other ( well breeding season is around but I didnt take quickie pics lol) and I see plenty of land around the pond's for them to bask.....

So those who think the place is not looked after well these pics say another thing think b4 you speak up about a place you know nothing about.:D Have a great day!!!

Oh and sorry about quality of pic's the digi camera I had was an old crappy one and smudges all over the place on lense lol

Attachments

• Crocodylus Park (2).jpg
    Crocodylus Park (2).jpg
    149 KB · Views: 96
  • Crocodylus Park (3).jpg
    Crocodylus Park (3).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Crocodylus Park (4).jpg
    Crocodylus Park (4).jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Crocodylus Park (5).jpg
    Crocodylus Park (5).jpg
    115 KB · Views: 76
  • Crocodylus Park (6).jpg
    Crocodylus Park (6).jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 84
I live in Darwin and have only been here for about 2 years before that I lived in NSW. I to was outraged at the conditions of the animals at crocodylus park when I went there for the first time.
I was so angry that I put in a formal complaint to the management. Nothing has changed at the park and the animals continue to suffer. IT is such a shame and I strongly recommend that people DO NOT visit the park and support this kind of animal cruelty

So perhaps I should put in a formal complaint about the conditions you keep animals in at the RSPCA? I have been out there, I know what clean and well made kennels look like as I deal with them everyday, and what I've seen out at the RSPCA is disgusting. Now you may say "but we are non profit...blah blah blah. If your organisation has the money to advertise on TV then it has the money to upgrade its kennel complex. Sooooo Jaxxs....people who live in glass houses......

Looking at those photos, the conditions don't look too bad really.

What about the color scheme . Does anyone want to tell us what colors crocidiles like?

What about the color scheme . Does anyone want to tell us what colors crocidiles like?

pmsl............

maybe pink for the girls and blue for the boys, or was it the other way around, ummmmmmm stuff it, lets paint it all purple............

...and also the chooks and pigs we have aswell.....i put the crocs in the same category as the livestock, and neither animal should have to be kept in those conditions!
I know naught about optimum conditions for crocodiles, but I do not consume any chicken or pork products because I disagree so ferociously with the way these animals are farmed. I only eat eggs which are certified organic and free-range. I even check the ingredients list on processed foods and reject any which contain chicken or pig products. And I would not touch feedlotted meat with a plantation grown or recycled timber barge pole.

OzRocks, I hope you walk the walk as well as talk the talk.

People disagreeing with pig/chicken farming without knowing squat about it is always funny. Aussie Python Lover, i agree with you. I recently went there and thought it was a great facility for its purpose.

People disagreeing with pig/chicken farming without knowing squat about it is always funny.
I am wondering if you are referring to me, PhilK. If you are I beg to inform you that I have done time working on pig farms and chicken farms, as well as deer farms, duck farms, quail farms, beef cattle farms both "free-range" and feedlot, dairy farms, sheep farms and on a permaculture farm. I have been involved in the import and export of live animals, and participated in the formulation of regulations for the same.

While I am not well informed enough to comment on crocodiles and crocodile farms (and observe that I did not) I feel I have enough experience, both observationally and intellectually, to make an informed comment on the ethics of man's need v's intensive agriculture systems. However I will thank you to note that I did not preach my opinion to anyone, I merely expressed a hope that if someone protests against chicken and pig farming he'd better not go eating the proceeds of such lest he be called a hypocrite.

Further more, when I had had enough of getting my hands dirty down on the farm I went to university to study philosophy, primarily ethics. If none of this qualifies me to make comment then perhaps I'd better just sit in the corner and look pretty, as that will be all I am good for if one were to disregard my education and experiences.

gosh those crocs are in heaven lol hudge amount of room, clean, and they look very healthy. so what are you people talking about I've seen much worse, I've seen very tinny pens with loads of crocks all cramped up and only used for 2 things breeding and trade and thats outside of Rockhampton but these conditions is well you could say a mansion, the water pond is much bigger than some of the water holes and ponds up here in the NT where there are more crocs and big ones at that competeing with land, there is also croc's that get removed from there birth place because of human taking over and making more and more swimming holes. and if they bring in the new safari kulling for hunters then there is more wild crocs that are going to get kulled. Basicly those crocs from Crocadilus is in one of the biggest enclosed environments then anywhere else I've seen and they have a much better chance for survival here in the park then in the wildlife. Also we have the envassion of canetodes up here that is wiping out most of the young crocs and hatchies and soon in a few years if they don't find something to get rid of these todes there won't be any native wild animals up here ever again.

So I think it is safe that these people from crocadilas do know what there doing and do care for these animals even if they are making monie off meat and hide, but if you went to any restrant up here they sell croc meat as a delicusy and its not bad if you've tryed it. and I'm not saying I don't like crocs because I've had a taist of it, I love them and I do think its the best way to keep these crocs safe and from not becoming exstincted from the envassion of todes and trophy hunters. That enclosure is a great size and I am sure if the croc's want to get away from each other they can.

so what are you guy's talking about? in bad condition, floating food, and crampt?

cheers Jody

You know what I think, we have all missed a very important part of OzRocks original post........it was a school trip. So perhaps OzRocks is coming from a very young and ignorant point of view.....You know how kids are these days!!!!!!

Young and gung ho on all things environmental.......
Too young to know any better I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back