Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have other reasons for thinking that it is not in anyway related to blondie. But this is not my story to be breaking news about that i have not been given permission to tell. From the convo's i have had this was very credibly a spontaneous morph.

OK if my probability maths is still right chances of having one or no albinos from a clutch size as large as 15 is still over 8% which is still pretty high in probability stakes.

Well it's definitely the same albino mutation as in being Tyrosinaise negative just like Blondie.It's interesting that it's a Darwin albino and not any other sub species however i'm sure there are many of blondies relatives still around and legal collecting in Darwin was going on for years.I did get told a story of one seen not far from Blondies original locality.

Going to be hard to tell just because of size,some Darwins get much bigger than others and some much nicer in colour than others which any bigger more colourful normal straon bred to Blondies original line as many i'm sure have done,even with striped Darwins etc then the offspring could easily be more colourful and larger animals overall,does that make them a different original lineage to Blondie?

I don't understand,this line has supposedly been around for and bred for some time before Blondies is that right?How many times has it been bred?And the line is from a pair of wild caught animals obviously being hets but only produced 1 albino from a whole clutch?Definitely doesn't fit what we're told should be the case with normal genetics and may be a good reason for it not being the same line as Blondie seeing as her genetics seem to be almost spot on Mendelian.I don't at all think that if they are 2 seperate lines crossed they'd produce all normals,why would they?They're both T- Albinos so should produce the same etc.

Great to seeif it is true,Greebo mentioned something years back but not sure if he was ehem"bull .hiting" or not and have heard stories,who knows what others keep?i'm sure before long there'll be a few more different albino carpet lines from different sub species,i can't wait for pure albino jungles lol

I have held Blondie on several occasions and I dont see how a snake could be healthier. She was a large Darwin, much larger than some of my normal Darwins. From the limted pictures posted, I dont see how they are any prettier than the ones I have seen produced by SXR.

Who knows where this line comes from, you would have to put money on the line being related to SXRs.

Maybe Blondie was bred before it reached SXR (just to throw a spanner in the works!)

If this albino was bred before blondie, with a normal, and then bred again with offspring, there is no reason why we aren't all holding albinos right now.
This year is the first year of SXR breeding albino to albino in numbers (from what I can gather), plus there are a few others with albinos going with hets.
In three and a half years time there will be all number of people with hatchies and then the numbers increase.
Personally, i'd like to hear Doc's point of veiw, I find it remarkable that this has just popped up and that the albino hatchling supply hasn't started earlier.

i believe blondie was bred before SXR obtained her, i believe that simon mentioned this himself in a previous thread (anyone remember) its likely these may have been hets from that clutch, which from memory is the source of the albinos over seas aswell. either way i hope these are a new albino line, i do worry its a money scam or ploy to sell more albinos or hets this season.
i alo believe that if they are wild caught they may still be related to blondie. i know that if i had bred some albino pythons, more people would know about them, i would have email SXR to inform them right away atleast this way you would have some very credible witnesses to back up the claims.

Hi folks, I just got emailed about this thread and had a good read through it. Very interesting.

I think it would be great if there is another line, especially if the mutation was different than the one originating from Blondie. It could lead to a new albino variant!

However, I am puzzled by the story. It's 8 years since I first became custodian of Blondie and her genetic heritage. I have two gravid albino females now that are second generation to Blondie and last year I bred the first albino to albino cross. The first few female albinos I parted with will be three years this summer. I did however part with some hets some years back because I didn't need them and I couldn't bring myself to euthanise them all and so sold some males here and some females there. They would have been old enough to breed a few years back now if anyone was lucky enough to get two. No doubt they will pop up "spontaneously" for some lucky folk.

The photographs of the albinos don't convince me of anything - they could be some we parted with previously or they might not??

What I don't understand is if this line started back before we started to part with any albinos why would it be kept quiet for so long (nothing is secret for long in this game)? Why wouldn't the proud owners not want to let others know about it and capitalise on it by breeding and selling the offspring? I did hear of another albino being found before Blondie was found some years back from a very credible source, but I was told by this source that unfortunately it died before it bred. I have since had independant verification which leads me to believe this well might be true.

The chances of a albino popping up in a wild reptile population is about 1 in 20,000 to 30,000 depending on who you believe. So it is possible that there is another line from a wild caught snake, but the chances are low. Of course, it could be from the same genetic line as Blondie which just popped up in another random coupling from the same population of snakes.

As to whether this line is prettier or more robust, I don't see how anyone could say. The snakes shown certainly show no evidence of this being true. We have not had one unhealthy animal and, while I think all albino carpets are lovely, we have produced some geogeous snakes.

Back to what I think is the main point, if there is another albino line its fantastic news because if the genetics are different it opens up new possibilities - and I just love the challenge of breeding new forms and everyone getting to enjoy them. If these folk really have a different line I encourage them as much as I can to get in touch with me at SXR. I'd be more than happy to swap blood or to do a breeding trial to see what we get. Even if they don't want to do this, I would love to know that there is another albino line out there and look forward to what it might bring.

That said, I am deeply skeptical about this and feel, like some of you have expressed, that the odds of it being fact are slim and more likely it is someone's new, clever sales ploy, or wishful thinking or misunderstanding. I hope I am wrong.

To Jason - I did write a while back that there is a possibility (very remote) that Blondie bred before but there is absolutely no evidence of it and the owners (the NT Government) assured me that she had never been bred and they had her from a hatchling. Also, if someone bred her before, why wait more than eight years to do anything about it??

I did however part with some hets some years back because I didn't need them and I couldn't bring myself to euthanise them all and so sold some males here and some females there. They would have been old enough to breed a few years back now if anyone was lucky enough to get two. No doubt they will pop up "spontaneously" for some lucky folk.

hahaha ! Don't tell me they were sold as normals ! hehehe Someone doesn't know what they have............

or do they.......?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they were sold as normals (through dealers) and yes no one knew what they had (have).

To Jason - I did write a while back that there is a possibility (very remote) that Blondie bred before but there is absolutely no evidence of it and the owners (the NT Government) assured me that she had never been bred and they had her from a hatchling. Also, if someone bred her before, why wait more than eight years to do anything about it??

Thanks for clearing that up! I new i recalled something along those lines. "why wait 8 yrs?" I questioned that myself, imo doesnt make to much sence from an economical point of view. im as hopeful as the rest of us but seems alittle suspect.

Yes they were sold as normals (through dealers) and yes no one knew what they had (have).

Interesting! If that is the case, its likely this wont be the last time we will be hearing of claims of a new line being spontaniously produced.

Well the offer is there for the "owners" of this line to something together with SXR. I guess I wait and see if any one contacts us. Alternatively, maybe the claimants will provide a more complete story of the history of this line that is credible and can be verified. Certainly, right from the beginning with Blondie the whole world knew and scrutinised it. The same was true of the albino olives, albino mackies, etc etc.

Hi guys.
To be clear. The first albinos in this line was captive bred. Their mother was wild caught (legally) but its father and paternal grandparents were captive bred. Their paternal great grandparents were wildcaught. (again legally). The first albinos were hatched after blondie was found and already in South australia. Its ancestors however were all in captivity long before Blondie was found. How closely related or otherwise they are to blondie is impossible to say than for any other Darwin carpet. - what happens in the wild stays in the wild :)

It certainly physically appears to be the same mutation as Blondie but with out crossing the two strains there is no way of knowing. Both are tyrosinase negative and both autosomal recessive in inheritance. I have examined many examples of both blondies strain and this strain. In general this strain is bigger and brighter yellow but as has already been stated this is probably just within the normal variation of the Darwin carpets.

If you consider mutations as mistakes in the genetic code it is certainly possible to make the same mistake independently twice.

Basically as I see it there are two different possibilities - 1) that it is a different mutation and not the same. In which case then basically it will be a matter of assessing it closely to see if it gives any real advantage over what is already out there. An example of this occurred in budgies. Initially there were autosomal recessive and sex linked albino(Lutino) mutations. The sex linked one for some reason gained popularity and the recessive mutation has disappeared. So to be blunt if it is a completely different mutation it would need to have an advantage over what is already out there to compete. (cf macs versus pcs)

I personally believe its greatest value will be if it is the same mutation. The two lines will provide a valuable source of unrelated genetics to ensure health and vitality. (just to be clear - blondie is outbred wild type - she should be genetically healthy. Her descendents, like any recessive mutations will have had some degree of inbreeding. A fundamental law of population genetics is that inbreeding causes a decline in vigour. (healthy, fertility etc) ie for maximally healthy snakes breeding as distantly related snakes together as possible. (within a species)

Cheers
Stephen

What? I fail to see why this is a 'hotter' looking snake. I think its actually a pretty ordinary looking albino in my opinion.

I agree that it is good that there is a chance we may have a another bloodline, but tell me why people think it is stronger and better.Because its a new thing?

The one in the pics actually looks more colourful (whiter) and as wazuriki (sp?) said healthier so therefore in my opinion better.

I hope thats a tounge-in-cheek comment, you seriously think that a sexual pair of darwins just happened to pop up in another country about the same time they started to be bred over here??

Yeah the tongue was firmly planted with that comment.

I find the claims of more robust,better looking blah blah of this so called "new line"
a bit much,afterall anyone can say whatever they like which doesnt make it fact.What are these claims based on and how can the claims be backed up?

I have examined many examples of both blondies strain and this strain. In general this strain is bigger and brighter yellow but as has already been stated this is probably just within the normal variation of the Darwin carpets.

You might wanna provide a bit more evidence before you go ahead and defame someone else's line, from the pictures I have seen so far...blondey certainly looks to be the greater snake

Having seen more than a few of the SouthernX albinos I can't see how the animal in those photos looks any different, in fact it looks identical. If that is the basis for the assumption this 'new' line is better and stronger then maybe I have been looking at the wrong animals.
I agree with Cement, it doesn't actually appear to display the variety of colours found in many of the SXR animals but that could just be bad photo's.

more to the point! why is this thread being humoured? It's hype building and marketing at it's best. Failed on me sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back