scarfing macs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is scarfing good or bad

• its fine i have no problem with it

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • i dont like it one bit

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • wat is scarfing ?????

Votes: 16 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where in my post did i suggest anything other than natural A roll of a dice if thats the way you interpreted my post than i think you need your eyes checked. All i'm saying is a couple of weeks between feeds. You want em bigger give a bigger meal every couple.
Go skaarf yourself for a couple of years and come back to me and tell me if your healthy.

Is roll of the dice all you read of my post? I was using the roll of a dice as an example of what some chances snakes have of finding food thus you can't have a 'natural' feeding habbit as you suggest, cause not all snakes find a meal right on every ammount of days. As said a snake will stuff itself silly every chance it gets in the wild so i don't see how it would effect a snake unless it has reached it's mature size because everything it's eating is used to grow.

Is roll of the dice all you read of my post? I was using the roll of a dice as an example of what some chances snakes have of finding food thus you can't have a 'natural' feeding habbit as you suggest, cause not all snakes find a meal right on every ammount of days. As said a snake will stuff itself silly every chance it gets in the wild so i don't see how it would effect a snake unless it has reached it's mature size because everything it's eating is used to grow.
Did you not read my reference to feeding? I realise the chances of snake feeding in the wild that is why i'm posting these comments. Not once in any of the posts before mine did anyone make reference to the fact that you stop "scaarfing" as adults. You really need to read what has been posted before typing anything. As for stuffing themselves silly, you are not taking into account the fact that snakes have down time to digest or are you suggesting they roam around constantly looking for and eating food.
Looks like this is an agree to disagree subject.

Hazzard in regards to the studies good luck and I look forward to the seeing the results.
Keep us posted.

Did you not read my reference to feeding? I realise the chances of snake feeding in the wild that is why i'm posting these comments. Not once in any of the posts before mine did anyone make reference to the fact that you stop "scaarfing" as adults. You really need to read what has been posted before typing anything. As for stuffing themselves silly, you are not taking into account the fact that snakes have down time to digest or are you suggesting they roam around constantly looking for and eating food.
Looks like this is an agree to disagree subject.

Hazzard in regards to the studies good luck and I look forward to the seeing the results.
Keep us posted.

I thought it would be quite obvious that you stop as an adult seen as the whole idea is to make it reach adult size in a shorter time. Downtime by the time they spend digesting? My snake digests and passes his food around 2-3 days after eating it, he may hide a little for the 1st day but after that he's always roaming around seemly searching with his tongue constantly flickering, i'm guessing the same would be true for wild snakes giving the same conditions of adequate heat to digest they wouldn't not bother looking for more food because they only ate a couple of days ago and pass up food if they found it.

I just couldn't help myself. Your snake you say meaning only one. Do you think you are in any position to comment considering you own only one snake.
By the way it is a rhetorical question.

I just couldn't help myself. Your snake you say meaning only one. Do you think you are in any position to comment considering you own only one snake.
By the way it is a rhetorical question.

It's an open forum is it not ;) anyone can comment, or am i sorry you have to be worlds most renowned snake expert to post?

Wow, I guess ignorance is bliss.

I can't believe ppl still are blindsighted to the negatives of powerfeeding their snakes regardless of wether they are young and growing or older and settled to adult size and average weight. I remember quite awhile ago on this site, that autopsy pics were taken of snakes (or maybe just the one?) with thier fatty organs and the problems it caused - and Im sure it was a young snake at the time. I know its been disapproved to compare snakes to humans, but surely ppl have seen photos etc of all sorts of overweight species throughout the animal kingdom in general, young or old. I just don't get exactly ppls arguement how powerfeeding could possibly be a good thing. Especially when they sit back and declare how - 'but its never been prooven', how could over feeding any animal possibly be good for its health?!

At the end of the day, as I see it, ppl are entitled to their own opinions, and the consequences of their own actions, be wether they have a conscience to realise what their actions have caused or not displays the side of human nature that most ppl couldnt be bothered thinking about. Anyhow off subject a little. I certainly don't agree with power feeding and/or obese snakes, sadly its just wrong. I can't say I'd hold against any owner/keeper/breeder - that's their choice. But certainly never something I'd suffer my own snakes to.

No offence meant to any1 whatsoever - just expressing my own opinion.

Cheers,
Dee

After power-reading this thread I think I'd better drink some power-aid & take a power-walk around the block.
Shouldn't the question be --'Is it really good for the snake?' rather than ' Can the snake withstand & survive that much food?'
Also , for the amount of extra money spent on feeding it 4X's the usual amount of rodents for 2 years , why not just buy a breeding age snake to begin with?
It just wreaks of 'I want it big , I want it fast , I want power-dollar returns on my python investments right now.
Yea , there are people on here that have been in this game longer than I have , but there's something plain wrong about the whole skaarfing thing to me. What's the hurry ?

The desirable rate to feed snakes depends upon what you are trying to achieve. Big is not necessarily good. For a pet snake it is fine to feed anywhere between every month or so and every week or so to keep the snake healthy. Breeders on the otherhand normally try to shorten the generation interval ( the time between hatching andbreeding maturity) so as to maximise the genetic advancment as they want to multiply the desirable traits sooner rather than later..

well any way i have two juvie spotteds that are 2 weeks old and are going to be scarfed i will keep yous up to date with how they go

Obesity in Australia

Recent studies show that 47% of women and 63% of men are overweight or obese. Australians are at the point where it is almost more "normal" to have a weight problem than not.
Over the last decade as a nation we have continued to gain weight. If the current trend continues, it is estimated that by 2010, 70% of Australians will be above their healthy weight range.

pretty hard to be againts skarffing if we are already a nation of fatties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back