Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you buy rabbits anywhere in Brisbane area for snake feed? I was under the impression rabbits were illegal in qld

yeah im going to feed my lace monitor a rabbit . he is at that size now he eats full adult rats, so im sure he will love a rabbit..................
cheers steve

Nightowl, Say 3 x 600g rabbits in 3 litres of boiling water and they are ready to go in half an hour. For bigger quantities you'll need to change the water. I take them out of the water for a couple of minutes and feel their neck where it enters the scull as that area seems to be last to thaw. I guess the bone scull insulates the inside.

Thanks wokka, might just give them a try :)

I was under the impression (correct me if i'm wrong) that rabbits are highly fatty... the only reason is that my friend in the army said on their survival training they were told to eat other animals than rabbit if they had to hunt to survive, cause it's just fat and not much else in terms of nutrition. What do you reckon? The pinkie rabbits i've had have seemed very blubbery... ?

I'm pretty sure domestic rabbits are quite fatty - obviously wild ones are far leaner (more running away from stuff I guess!) I'd be a bit worried about parasites etc in wild bunnies (probably destroyed in freezing, but not sure) Also I don't know if exposure to the calicivirus could be detrimental to your snake?

I would imagine you would be best to stick with domestic, farmed rabbit.

Dazza, Wild rabbits should be the same as domestic except if they are full of buckshot. The problem I can see is that they probably haven't been frozen quickly and so may carry a high bacterial load.

We feed domestic Rabbits to the larger snakes, the all exceptthem well and seem to enjoy/prefer them to the rats. The snakes hold conditon and seem to show a little bit brighter colouration.

At approx 2 weeks old the rabbits are weighing around the 120 to 160 grams so they are a lot quicker in growth which in return means cheaper costs than a rat and I wouldn't say that their fatty at this age anyway, maybe larger rabbits but ours never get that size.

I feed the occasional large rabbit to my adults. So far they have all been domestic rabbits that have turned out to be dud pets lol but they have all seemed to be very very fatty. I also used to breed rabbits that my family and i would eat along with the occasional wild rabbit. Wild ones are very lean but domestic ones have a decent ammount of fat on them.

time to tell the truth
do u all feed dead rabbits?
how many of u feed live rabbits
talking about the larger snakes 8ft plus

does any1 breed rabbits in melb?i was just wondering

One of our advertisers on the HerpTrader from Melbourne has been advertising "Frozen Wild Rabbits" for years. Ad 727-105 in the 'other' section of the listings shows the prices and the various sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back