Grrr what should i do?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_dora_explorer

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey,
i got my snake a week ago, even though it feels like aaaaaaaaaages!
and its been a little over a week since he/she (to young to be sexed yet) has eaten,
so it figured its time for a feed!
But he/she wont eat!
I put him/her into a different feeding tub as suggested.
Iv had the mouse thawed and warmed, and i tried first just putting it in and seeing if he/she would go it that way.
After a long time there was no action, he/her even crawled over it and had his head resting on it at one stage!
So i decided that maybe i should dangle it, as if to try and trick him/her into thinking its alive.
The snake was in a hide at one end of the enclosure and i dangled it out the front, he struck on 3 different occasions, but he didnt 'grab' it, more just hit and that was it.
so can everyone please help in suggesting what i should do!!??
cheers

Drop mouse in and come back in an hour ... all you should see is a lump in the belly of your snake. As they are night dwellers, some snakes wont expose themselves in daylight to feed comfortably.

when 1 of mine were young i used to rub the mouse over the snakes body and she got annoyed and bang she ate

Your snake maybe is coming up to shed soon. Maybe the temperature is not right for the snake. Have you tried feeding it of a night time?
I defrosted a boiler quail and a medium sized rat this morning, no snakes would take it.

If you only got the snake a week ago, give it another week or two without disturbing it and try again.

There are lots of different reasons she may not have eaten, Dora.

Firstly, try and get her eating consistently in her own enclosure before trying to feed her in a feeding tub. The reason for this is that she feels secure in her enclosure (if it is designed correctly). You've only had her a week, so she went through a bit of stress with the move and new enclosure to start with, so you pulling her out and sticking her into an unfamiliar environment may have been enough to dampen her interests in eating.

Secondly, as RevDaniel suggested, she may be in the early stages of shedding her skin. Juvenile snakes shed frequently, and some refuse to eat during this process. You'll be able to tell if this is the case in the next few days, as if she doesn't shed, she'll go through a "milky" stage where her eyes become a grey/blue colour and her pattern is less distinct and vibrant.

Thirdly, there may be something wrong with your husbandry. I would try and cancel out the first two option first though, as it seems like you have done plenty of research and I doubt there is anything drastically wrong.

Good luck,

Jonno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back