Fresh Water Crays

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkslinger

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Caught these in Gippsland today

5ac59170.jpg

f2beed09.jpg

ad650da0.jpg

4dd403e4.jpg

scared of getting bitten ey???
those suckers would have a pretty nasty pinch on them

LOL there is no reason to hold them with tongs thats only a little fella anyway lol. :lol: i remember putting one that size on my little brothers ear once lol

If you look at the pic with the tongs those thing are spiky as hell. Are you keeping them or eating them. Garlic cray tails mmmm.

If you look at the pic with the tongs those thing are spiky as hell. Are you keeping them or eating them. Garlic cray tails mmmm.
yeah the spikes dont hurt ive freehandled heaps of big ones afterall i did grow up in gippsland.behind the claws is pretty much smooth from memory so you just grab them there:)

Isnt that species protected?
nope that species is very common. their is quite a few species of freshwater crays which are endangered.

which river did they come from inkslinger?

Spiny tailed crays are protected, but I don't know enough about them to see whether these guys are spiny tails or not.

Apparently they taste pretty foul..

These guys are protected there is a bag limit and you do need a fishing license, not scared of getting nipped was nipped several times yesterday ( twice in the water on my leg) as no gloves or tongs with me, I work with my hands so better safe than sorry! getting them out of holding tank and into their tank . I have seen the front pincers snap a fibre glass fishing rod, so for me every reason to handle with tongs.

I am hoping to breed these ones the next catch will be for the plate

So is there anywhere on the net that someone can find out which ones can & cant be eaten ?
(that one looks yummy:lol:)

Nice ones, haven't seen that species of cray before, looks like i'm going yabbying next time I visit my Nan in Sale

I'm thinkn bout a nice xmas lunch!!

which are the kind you can do in your dam?
do monitors go for these guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back