Aus Addiction reptiles in US?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ally_pup

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Was surfing the net when I found a place in US called Australian addiction reptiles. They sell all kinds of Australian reptiles. Just a little confused, why can they have our reptiles but we cant have theirs legally here?

Was surfing the net when I found a place in US called Australian addiction reptiles. They sell all kinds of Australian reptiles. Just a little confused, why can they have our reptiles but we cant have theirs legally here?

Because alot of people release reptiles into the wild which can potentially put our native wildlife at risk if exotics are released. America doesn't seem to care as much as us when it comes to preserving native wildlife.

It's legal but it has caused all sorts of dramas, like the boa's that have been released into the everglades and are taking over the place..

As for exotics in Aus just look at what happened with rabbits and cane toads...Makes it pretty obvious why we can't and shouldn't...

Ben

Given our environmental and extinction record I'm surprised you can say that with a straight face.

They have our reptiles just as we have their reptiles, the only difference is the legality.

America doesn't seem to care as much as us when it comes to preserving native wildlife.

How in the hell did they get albino darwins? thats a question i would like to know the answer to???

Just think how we got exotic reptiles over here and it might give you a clue ;)

The albinos are in Europe. Apparently they aren't in the US yet. I was speaking to someone in Sweden this year whilst i was travelling and he was saying that they get them in via Africa from Aus. Which is an interesting thing.

Not every australian herp you see overseas has been sent over....contrary to popular belief we do breed them & have the odd albino turn up in clutches !....;)

diseases like OPMV came from the States... ask anyone who has lost their entire diamond python collection why exotics shouldn't be legal.

diseases like OPMV came from the States... ask anyone who has lost their entire diamond python collection why exotics shouldn't be legal.

No proof of that, I remember reading confirmed reports of captured wild snakes in indonesia & thailand with it.

Yes there is certainly no proof that I am aware of that OPMV came here from America. Making exotics legal doesn't increase the risk of OPMV.

Every state has it's own policies, but here in Ohio it's illegal for me to buy a snake native to Ohio. Yet I can go to any pet store and buy a snake from half way around the world. :|

You guys have the right idea if you ask me.

Every state has it's own policies, but here in Ohio it's illegal for me to buy a snake native to Ohio. Yet I can go to any pet store and buy a snake from half way around the world. :|

You guys have the right idea if you ask me.

What a weird policy. Do you have any idea of their reasoning? I understand that exotics released into the wild are a major problem for the ecosystem in the US.

Legalitys and quintine restrictions for sure. We cnat say with 100% cernainty if OMPV did come from the states, but it is a good example of why exotics are a no goer here in aus. There have already been a few isloated cases of exotic reptiles discovered in parks and bushland such as red eared pond sliders, I also came across an article about a bloke in Vic who was treated for a suspicious snake bite that was later found to be from a Gaboon viper.

yep, I'm from Canada, and I can keep snakes form anywhere in the world except my own back yard. Non native wild life doesn't pose as much of a threat to us, our harsh winters will take out any runaways. The laws are to protect our native wildlife from the pet trade, so you don't have a bunch of yahoos scooping up garters and selling them to the pet stores. Indigo snakes are a good example, their wiki entry says this: "As a result of overzealous collection and the destruction of its habitat, it is an endangered species", and I'm sure that could happen to any snake here (indigos just happen to be docile and pretty).

Mind you, we do have some non-native problems. Red ear sliders, for example, are fairly aggressive and tend to over power our native turtles. But nothing on the scale of what you guys have gone through with non-native animal problems. I have corn snakes from the US and they wouldn't stand a chance in the relatively mild winters Vancouver has, let alone my spotted python.

I'd be careful various, corn snakes & other rat snakes have been known to survive british winters which im told are colder than vancouvers, infact there are reports about 1 specie of rat snake that escaped from a zoo & are now breeding in the wild in Wales.

I would imagine that quite a few American colubrids could survive a British winter which are mild in comparison to many places in America. Whe we went to Daytona in '95 it was bitterly cold at night and it wasn't winter. I would imagine they would survive along the south coast quite easily.

i thought OPMV was brought in by australian reptile park back in the 90's. or am i lost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back