NZ man bitten by venomous brown snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Supertaipan

Reaction score
Cedric Suifua, 22, of Auckland, was hiding lollies for a children's treasure hunt in a park across from Gold Coast's Main Beach on Christmas Day when he was bitten by an eastern brown snake.

Initially mistaking the sting on his toes of his left foot for a bull ant bite, Mr Suifua continued to play baseball for about 45 minutes before having heart palpitations, the Courier Mail newspaper reported.

"I had just sat down and told my wife about my heart and 10 seconds later I saw bright lights and then passed out and fell back on to her," he said.

An off-duty nurse came to Mr Suifua's aid and bandaged his leg until an ambulance arrived.

He was taken to the Gold Coast Hospital where he was given 12 vials of anti-venom by yesterday afternoon.

A spokesman for the Queensland Ambulance Service said Mr Suifua had all the classic symptoms of a snake bite.

I saw the bite marks on the news, and they looked like it was a small snake.

Im amazed how he continued to play baseball for 45 mins, I thought he would get symptoms a lot faster with all the movement, after all this is the second most deadly snake in the world?

Yeah, surprised me too. Maybe not much venom was injected, and he looked like a pretty solid bloke.

There was a bloke up here who was bitten by a quite large taipan, he was tagged about 12 times and was nearly unconcious and blind after about 5 mins!

yeah the bloke in mareeba was down by the river about 5 mins from the hospital, luckily for him, otherwise he wouldve been a gonna!

that reminds me that i mate almost got tagged by a red belly as i wasnt at school so he wanted to impress me and record it on his phone of him catchin it.. luckily i had another good mate who is also a snake FREAK and he stopped him from actually catching the snake.. they ended up missing 2 periods of school looking at the snake on its way..

Im amazed at the part where, they are now calling for signs to be posted throughout the gold coast area that there are poisonous snakes throughout the area and to be careful. But than again, Im a little naive and just think that all tourists should be told about our snakes. I mean, don't ppl research about that kinda thing b4 they go to a different country?!!

yeh i think foxysnake has a very good point... people should do searches on the venomous animals before they go to that country especially if its a country like Australia with so many venomous snakes and spiders..

I don't think there's any reason why NOT to put signs up through areas that are both popular for humans as well as dangerous animals. Cairns is littered with signs of deadly creatures - it enhances awareness (for a majority). For example most people never swim outside of stinger nets - and there's plenty of signs on every beach warning people of the stingers and how to give first aid if required (vinegar etc).

Why shouldn't there be signs indicating venomous snakes and how to protect yourself from them?

And as the Gold Coast is the tourist capital of Queensland - most people who were bitten by a snake would probably try sucking the venom out or washing the wound. Not many would think to put on a compression bandage.

I both agree and disagree with you foxy and Armand - The internet provides some pretty confusing information and some fantastic editorialisations to! The sign posting would serve well for both Australians and tourists alike.

I agree about misleading info on the net, Have seen some things regarding our aussie snakes thats totally wrong. If a sign or to will hopefully prevent a bite or save a life thrn Im all for it.
We will only see more and more snake encounters in built up areas, With greater human settlement we are creating more waste which is both attracting rodents and providing shelter. Plenty of hideing places and heaps of food, paradise for snakes.

don't ppl research about that kinda thing b4 they go to a different country?!!

Yeah right, visitors to our country have NO idea. Why do you think so many drown at our beaches? Pathetic isn't it. I would have thought a lot of it was common sense which seems lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back