Snake Bite Kit - Extractor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great for rattlesnake bites

I think this product was designed for rattlesnake bites – not Australian snakes. My understanding – recognized practice is to “suck” the vermin out. It is recommended to suck with mouth or commercial suction equipment (like the one in the website).
Treatment for rattlesnake bite can be found at:
http://www.wf.net/~snake/firsbite.htm

The Australian snakes use the lymphatic system to disperse venom (That is the blood vessels just under the skin). The way to treat is:

• Remove victim from danger
  • Remove all jewelry from bitten limb
  • Remove all tight clothes
  • Dress bite with a piece of material
  • Bandage limb from where it leaves they body to the tips of the toes or fingers (Leave one fingernail/toenail out the end to verify blood circulation)
  • Immobilize limb (Leg – tie the legs together or arm – tie to the body)
Things NOT TO DO
  • Try and kill snake (You will get bitten)
  • Try and catch snake (You will get bitten)
  • Try and suck out the venom (Venom on is used to identify the snake)
  • Try and clean the bite (Venom is used to identify the snake)
  • Try and cut the bite out
Studies with monkeys has shown pressure bandage and immobilization is the best treatment for Australian snake bites. Even if the bite is a long way from civilization – if treated correctly – the venom will break down.

besides giving your self a hickey with it how could you possibly no if you got all the venom out of the area might as well use a vacume cleaner

Best snakebite kit is a bandage and a large dose of common sense!

if you where that stupid to believe that gizmo would work,then you deserve to die LOL

what can u say!!!!!!!! Only in America are they that stupid to come up with an idea like that!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
First thing to remember is not to get bitten. If yyou got bitten you were in the wrong spot at the wrong time!!! Don't put your self in a place the you know you have a chance of being bitten. Thats the yanks for ya.
I watch Venom ER on austar, the amount of people that don't look at where they put their hands and don't look where they are puting their feet is bloody amazing!

I think this product was designed for rattlesnake bites – not Australian snakes. My understanding – recognized practice is to “suck” the vermin out. It is recommended to suck with mouth or commercial suction equipment (like the one in the website).
Treatment for rattlesnake bite can be found at:
http://www.wf.net/~snake/firsbite.htm

The Australian snakes use the lymphatic system to disperse venom (That is the blood vessels just under the skin). The way to treat is:

• Remove victim from danger
  • Remove all jewelry from bitten limb
  • Remove all tight clothes
  • Dress bite with a piece of material
  • Bandage limb from where it leaves they body to the tips of the toes or fingers (Leave one fingernail/toenail out the end to verify blood circulation)
  • Immobilize limb (Leg – tie the legs together or arm – tie to the body)
Things NOT TO DO
  • Try and kill snake (You will get bitten)
  • Try and catch snake (You will get bitten)
  • Try and suck out the venom (Venom on is used to identify the snake)
  • Try and clean the bite (Venom is used to identify the snake)
  • Try and cut the bite out
Studies with monkeys has shown pressure bandage and immobilization is the best treatment for Australian snake bites. Even if the bite is a long way from civilization – if treated correctly – the venom will break down.

Wow, this is a real mix of information. Where have you learnt that the venom will break down, if treated correctly?

children, children, different snakes have a different effect. You bandage up after being bitten by a desert rattler and you may as well get the amputation kit ready as well.... not that a sucker has been proven to be all that effective... however you go travel in America and use the Australian bandage method, you would be a sublime idiot asking for trouble.

If were out in the scrub and you get bitten on the *ss, even if i have ten of those kits, mate, your gonna die! :lol:

Well it IS a country where a bloke in a ten gallon hat is hailed a hero for getting in a bathtub full of rattlesnakes!

compressions imobilisation for australian snake bite is just that, effective treatment for our australian snakes.
Elapids and vipers are very much different. Just look at fang length for starters, compare an eatern diamond backs with that of a coastal taipan, and then theres the products of the venom to consider. The potent neurotxins of the taipan are of considerable concern, the distructive enzymes that destroy red blood cells and muscle tissue are a big worry with the rattlers
If compression imobilsation was highly effective on US snakes then Im sure the states would be provideing no different treatment to our own.

Here is one being used by a "profesional" in south africa i think.
Austin Stevens is well know for his shows.
Cobras are just elapids, but vipers are common to in africa.

[video=youtube;AVJKFpS1-Yw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJKFpS1-Yw[/video]

Here is a better site

Here is a better site
http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/venom/snakebite.html

As mentioned above suction devices have not been shown to work with Australian snakes – but if you are keeping exotics

I suggest you do the following
1. Invest in a suction device
2. Inject small amounts of snake venom every week (you will have to milk the snake) – Contact the Thai snake farm in BKK for more details. The guy who runs the snake farm injects cobra and king cobra vemon

I heard second hand from the guy who pioneered snake bite treatment in Australia that if you treat a snake bite properly it may not need anti-venom. This can be shown by only 5% (1 in 20) snake bite cases requiring anti-venom compared to 40-60% of snake bite victims dieing from the bite in 1906.

What I am trying to say is if you get bitten in a very remote place – treat the bite correctly and you have a GOOD change of surviving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back