Murray Darling Research Project :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well, i'm lucky enough to be involved in a research project being conducted by the DEH in the Riverland in South Australia. The project is looking at habitat use.

So far 4 pythons (all males) have been collected from the wild. One was too small, so it was released. Another (Morris) was inserted with an 18 month tracker and released the week before Christmas, and i've been tracking him since then.

We (the vet anyway lol) inserted a tracker into one of the others (Clifford) this afternoon, and the last one (Ledger) was just a bit too small for the tracker unfortunately.

I am lucky enough to live on the property where the first one was released, and live close to the cliffs that the other two will be released on. You can only access the cliffs by river, so I guess i'll be doing a bit of boating :)

The python that i've been tracking for the last 3 weeks, didn't really move at all from where he was released, he seemed quite happy in a large fallen River Red Gum right on the river. I went to check on him yesterday, and he was gone! I chucked the tinny in and went up and down the river, with no luck. I have a feeling that the tracker has died or something? I'll let you know when we find him.

Pictures: Morris being released, Morris's log, my brother, niece and nephew helping me check on Morris :)

I will put the surgery pice in a new post........hang on!

Last edited:
Lucky? Yeah you're not wrong! That would be a huge experience for you. I am SO JEALOUS!!!!!:x;) Keep the updates coming please.

Going under anaesthetic, inserting breathing tube, heart monitor. I have just exceeded my attachment quota, and have to go to bed, so i'll post the rest of the pics tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Alot of it is fun, but most is pretty menotinous and boring, going out every day collecting weather, environmental conditions, and python location - especially when he is in exactly the same spot every time. I only saw him out basking on the log once!

I wasn't sure whether to be excited, or concerned when I got no signal yesterday!!! :)

Thats awesome Jozz, you sure are lucky. I hope Morris turns up soon. The pic's are great, he's a good lookind MD.

Out of interest, what time of day did you see him out basking?

Wayne

well done jos! keep up the good work!

how did u manage to score a project like this?!

Right place at the right time I guess!

Larks - it was about 11am (I think) the day we saw him basking on his log. I don't have the data with me, so I can't remember the temperature or anything. My brother, niece and nephew were with me that day, were about 15 metres from him before he shot off into his log through the small entrance hole (about 2-3cm).

Thanks for the pics Jos! I hope you find him and your niece and nephew are real cuties!!!

Thanks for the comments guys. I hope we find him too!!! 43 degrees forecasted today, so I'm not sure how enthusiastic I am to go looking for him today!

And yes, Sara and Dan are absolutely gorgeous! I love them to death!!! (shame they live in Sydney!)

Thanks Jozz, keep up the good work.

I'll keep this thread updated, and put up the rest of the surgery pics tonight :)

More pics

Here are the rest of the surgery pics :)

In the first pic, you can see a small white spot where the incision is made. The trackers are bigger than I thought they would be.

Last edited:
Couple more :)

First couple are Clifford coming round :)

The second two are 'Ledger' - the one that was a little bit too small for a tracker :) making himself a turbin, and having a microchip inserted.

Last edited:
Well, after about 3 hours of searching, Morris was found last night about 9pm hiding in some lignum about 2 km downstream from where he was last seen :) YEY!!!

Thats great news Jozz, when he decided to move he didn't muck around 2 km is a long way, it will be interesting to see how often he moves and how far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back