Enclosure building help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile182

Reaction score
Hi

Ive finnally decided to build the enclosure that was in the old Wiki, ive gone to bunning sorted what i needed now its come down to glass(lighting and heating already sorted). I was going to just get the glass and didnt think twice, thats with working on the instructions for that size enclosure, but was going to build a second one higher for a coastal, but now my dads saying that the glass can be broken easy at that size, its going to be a 4x4x2 enclosure. Hes worried bout my lil girl running into and smashing glass, but way i see it is that were the animals are she cant play near anyway, but still hes worried so I suggested perspex. He said that it can sometimes be hard to see through, but if I get straight clear should be ok, and its easier to get and cut, he said tho that its thinner, but to me thats not good as the tracks are 5mm and the perspex would move. but then at bunning they had acrylic(sp) im not sure if its the same thing, but it seemed to be flexible and bow a bit on its weight.

now here i need opinions, Im after what would cost more or less, easier to use, and whats safest in a sense or breakage, movement, and strength.

thanks heaps awaiting reply'

ive used glass on all my enclosures and have never had one break yet....
if you use 5 mm glass i think you will be ok.....if your worried get tempered glass...the same as they use on house windows

i used perspex on my enclosure (mainly because it is cheaper than glass and you need metal tracks)

the only prob i have is the it can bend and i think i snake could get out through the gap so i still thinking of a way to close up the gap :cry:

but hey if you want to use glass go for it mean who's stopping you apart from money:lol:

you could like devide the front into two parts so it would look like two 4x2x2 sitting on top of each other but with no middle then youd have smaller glass sises

get a very light window tint put on the 5 mm glass from an auto window tinter
the lightest possible
that way if it gets wacked it will have somethin to hold it together

I have thought of the double looke, but i like the idea of have the whole thing visible, and rang around, for perspex at bunning its around $90, for probably enough to do 1 and a half to 2, and got a quote for toughened glass for around $88 for both panels, i might go the glass, and yeah a nice very light tint would look good anyway, can pit up cheap kits at supercheap.

3M make safety and security window films that are clear. It's not going to be as cheap as "off the shelf" auto film but it's clear. If you've got toughened glass then it shouldn't be life threatening anyway because you eliminate the problem of large glass shards potentially cutting the animal or child that's in the way at the time.

yep thats what i was going for but film would help the glass stay together and stop lil pieces getting in the feet

If you haven't actually started building you could get a second hand house window. We where planning on 4x4x2 but won a house window on ebay for $50 so altered the measurements to match. Plus it came with a fly screen that we used in the top of the enclosure for ventilation ( it's for frogs). You could also look at the trading post and builders yards.

http://thefrogmansion.blogspot.com/

yeah i havent yet, my plan is to make these specific ones for ease and price, and practicality,such as stacking and all that. reason being is im starting to get a good collection, and also wouldnt mind selling a few to get some more makers in the area as there doesnt seem to be much around us here. Im also going to start converting funiture, if i see something cheap ill buy it and set it up cheap. I love wood work, so its something for me to do, I also build RC airplanes so meh. lol My issue is I can never find funiture that suits, but i guess im picky and never looked hard enough

thanks for the help on this choice, now i have another issue, Ive noticed some ppl have issues with sliding doors and gaps, mainly between the to panels, I am trying to save room, door swinging too. Im building the enclosure in the wiki, and its for sliding doors, Ive been quoted from a local glazier(was one for a stint), was thinking if i make swinging doors lose room and less of a view, now i was thinking with the sliding doors, if i they asked if i wanted them to put on locks, I was thinking so, and if i ask them if they can do the tracks so the glass is together. Has this been done before? also what are ways of fixing the gaps on the standard bunning slidding door tracks?

im looking into starting on it tomorrow, issue is deciding on the doors, I really dont want swinging, reason why im biulding my own. my first attemp is ok but awkward with swinging doors. also thought iv i had a rubber strip on the inside window on the end, or mor plastic, might solve problem, or have one 10cm track for the 2 5cm panels. and maybe having the iron on plasitc strip in the track to stop ware(sp) and all that, or if theres a track for it, maybe even a track that bring this the glass together

arrggg its annoying, its the most expensive part of a build, and the most confusing to go with lol

check my avatar for enclosure ideas on glass instead of using 2 pieces use 4 .2 for the top and 2 for the bottom and is much stronger

yeah i know that im talking bout the gap between in the glass, what are ways to stop it, has anyone put the 5mm glass panels into a 10cm track or any other way

or maybe other ideas instead of sliding doors or swinging doors? except i wouldl ike the stackable. I thought a door on the side but that would be hard for a long encosure, one on top stops stacking. I think this might send me made lol

oh and if it helps, first is to replace our beardie is about 15cm long, and a few months old, and another 4x2x2 following the wiki for my yearling stimson, and a 4x4x2 higher inclosure for my coastal, Im seriously thinking of no buying the track and seeing if the glasiers can fit it up flat, stops the gaps, I cant see a problem with it, my dad believe it might if its on the bare chip wood, but is said to use iron on plastic to cover it

Oh YEAH! Rang my glazier, they are able to fit them with locks that stop movement, and also fit rubber strips, that fit over the touching ends of the glass to that seal them, they said they have had this request a million times. Sweet, i found my option. thanks heaps to everyone who helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back