Rattlesnake pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonmum

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I to Arizona over Christmas and took these photos. The wild snakes are all hibernating, but at the Sonoran Desert Museum there were some beautiful ones on display. I've attached my two best rattlesnake photos, a photo of the door handle from a Spanish mission, a wonderful rest area sign and a tangle of herps. Can you identify the animals in the tangle? Apparently they are commonly found together in the wild.

Attachments

• blackRattler.jpg
    blackRattler.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Rattler2.jpg
    Rattler2.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 133
  • SanXavier.jpg
    SanXavier.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 131
  • NoPets.jpg
    NoPets.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 131
  • herpTangle.jpg
    herpTangle.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 162
geat pics mate, I got a soft spot for them rattlers. That first one reminds me of our death adders so much. Great pics, thanks for sharing

There is a Gila monster in that last shot not sure what else though.

The black rattlers can change their background colour to some extent, although this one was content just to sit there looking gorgeous.

Yes, there's a gila monster in that tangle. I'll wait until tomorrow to see if anyone can pick what else is in the burrow.

I used to live in Arizona and had the pleasure of handling a gila monster at a science museum where I worked. They are awesome lizards. We wanted to see how it would envenomate something, so we put a pencil with a big removeable rubber near its head. It finally latched on like a staffy and slowly moved its head back and forth while grinding the teeth. When it let go of the pencil rubber, there was a nice thick coating of venom on it. Definitely worthy of respect, but not fast or aggressive if you treat them right.

I think it's a Gila Monster and a Rattle Snake trying to eat it, or the other way around.

The gila monster is the only venomous one in the burrow.

um, im thinking a hog snake and possibly a corn? at a very vague guess

Getting closer. They had both hog and corn snakes nearby, but not in that enclosure.

Is it a gopher snake,

I will try to post some pic's of my recent trip herping in arizona,got some nice pic's of an atrox and gila's

Well done Oldbeard! :D Having the albino and normal gophers gives a nice colour contrast. One of the volunteers also had a gopher snake out for folks to see and touch.

your just making me more and more impatient!!! heading over in June! cant wait to see what we can turn up!

You'll see everything in June! Just make sure you drink plenty of water and wear a big hat. Don't believe the nonsense about dry heat - I think it kills faster.

I grew up in Phoenix. We had a western box turtle and a banded gecko as a pets because my parents are phobic about snakes. They don't understand why anyone wants to keep snakes and they always look a bit green when my kids handle their pet pythons.

awesome pythonmum!

any tips on good herping places around phoenix then?

we are road tripping it in an RV from:
LA - San Diego - Phoenix - Grand Canyon - Vegas - Death Valley - Yosemite - San Fran and back to LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back