Picasso Cocky Pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OdessaStud

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This is Phoneix our Sulphar Crested Cockatoo without the Crest she has beak and feather but is healthy otherwise and a bit of a nutter but shes determined to do me a drawing, just cant get the lid of the texta :)

Attachments

• phoneix drawing 3.jpg
    phoneix drawing 3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 109
  • phoneix drawing 5.jpg
    phoneix drawing 5.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 95
She has no crest because she has beak and feather disease, and it fell out, they all said put her to sleep, but as you can see other than no crest and a lack of breast and tail feathers shes doing just fine.Mind you shes still on a wet mix as well even though shes nearly 4 months old, im trying to give her the best chance at surviving b&f possible I had her on antibiotics for nearly a month and although b&f is a virus she is 100% better than before i treated her.

very cute. why no crest?

Because it has [SIZE=-1]Psittacine [/SIZE]Beak and Feather disease, which is a very dangerous disease for them. It also attacks the cells of the immune system leaving them quite vulnerable to infection.

It should be euthanased in order to prevent further spread.

At the very least it should be in strict isolation.

IsK

Because it has [SIZE=-1]Psittacine [/SIZE]Beak and Feather disease, which is a very dangerous disease for them. It also attacks the cells of the immune system leaving them quite vulnerable to infection.

It should be euthanased in order to prevent further spread.

At the very least it should be in strict isolation.

IsK

I know what your saying IsK
Ive done all the research and spoken to all the experts be assured Ive not taken this lightly at all.Phoneix is isolated to only 2 rooms in the house.We do not ever handle her before going out and never ever come in contact with other birds.Phoneix is living a very happy life at the moment but i am prepared for the day to come when she will maybe have to be euthanased, but for now I respect the situation I have put myself in and in saying that pray that my beloved Bill (cocky) doesnt decide to come home as for her own safety i would have to chase her off.Phoneix is just starting to talk and has become one of the family, ya just cant not love her as ugly as she is :) but thanks for the explaination I should have explained my original thread a bit better.
Odie

In 90% or more cases PBFD only affects birds(parrots)2 yrs or under.The virus is on feather dust,faeces and is the smallest known virus particle.Odessa where did you get this bird?because the breeder /pet shop should refund your money. Unfortunately because it has the virus at this age his immune system is up the creek.Sorry.

I know how u feel OdessaStud... I dont see putting a good bird down - sure it has a disease, but y not try and help it??? Its easy to put him 2 sleep, but its sooo hard to try nd help them... Thts y I love helping them, cause the reward in the longrun is just soooooooo amazing..... I cant help it - I jst love to help animals :) ...

GOOD WORK *Big Thumbs Up*!!!!!!!

Hey...i have an eclectus parrot when i bought him he was missing alot of feathers around the tail and chest area i was told it was because he had been picked on in the previous avary i've had him since september now and he still hasn't recovered although alot of new growth is starting to show and i have always worried he might have b&f do you think he has? or is it just that it takes a heck of a long time to grow back....

itbites. Your bird may be a feather plucker. Bored birds sometimes chew their feathers, give him plenty of toys. I would suggest a trip to the vet to be sure though as pb&f is highly infectious and always fatal. Unfortunately there is no cure.
Phoenix is lucky to have you Odie. It is not easy to deal with. A friend had a Corella X Galah who ,after a few days on the loose was diagnosed with the disease. Ozzie was also lucky enough to have an owner who could be bothered but it was a lot of work & it broke their hearts when they finally did lose him. I wish you all the best.

Feathers generally dont take that long 2 regrow (Or even shoot up 'pins')... It cud be b&f, but I wud seriously recomend taking him to the vet (A specialized Avian Vet wud be best)... They will soon tell u wat u've got on ur hands..

Its also good cause u can have the checkup done aswell - so u can jst make sure tht he's alllllll good :D:D

Phoneix actually came from Victoria, I bought her and two others when they were only a few weeks old.the guy i bought them from sent me pictures of them and assured me he had never had b&f before, I sold two of them and unfortunatly one has since been put down because a so called expert told the lady that b&f was zoonotic and she paniced for her kids welbeing.The other one to the best of my knowledge is doing ok I have heard nothing so can only asume.The guy offered to replace only one of the birds but could not assure me that it would not have b&f also so i havent bothered taking him up on his offer ( i need another like a hole in the head ).The biggest issue with b&f is that stress or any other upset ie transporting is enough to set if off as it lies dormant until one of the triggers is pulled. Shes my friend and while shes happy and thriving im happy to commit to looking after her, even my mum said shell knit a jumper for her if she ends up bald.Will have to be a ST Kilda jumper of course :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back