beardies tail injured (pics)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dano85

Reaction score
One of my 3 month old beardies has had its tail badly biten by the other 3 month old witch is sligtly biger.
The tail feels lifeless and canot bend where it is damaged and it apears to have no feeling ie he doesent react when i toutch it. do you i think ishould take it to the vet ? i have been treating it with betadine daily and have seen no improvement
P1200314.jpg

It looks very infected, it may even be dying (the tail not the dragon) I would say, take him to the vet immediately!

The necrosis will keep travelling up the tail if left to heal naturally

i just took jiff to the vet and he sead to just keep using betadine and the end will probaly just fall off.
Thanks for the replys
:)

He will be like my stumpy! I have a beardie with half a tail too, he is 7 now.

this is why and when you should seperate, they obviousely arent tollerating each other than they are physically abusing and fighting each other to sort dominance, expect it to happen again if you dont take apropriate precautions.

you need to take it to the vet, they will most likely amputate a small section to stop infection if any, rising up the tail which can eventually cause death. its black and 'dead' by the looks of it, book an apointment asap, explain and book a surgery in advanced if you can too. you dont want this to get worse, and it can very quickely.

LOL Kirby. If you actually read his post you would see that he already took it to the vet.

My female dragon is missing approx 1/3 of her tail, and she is also missing a foot! She gets around just fine though :) and before anyone asks or comments, no this did NOT happen while she was in my care.. She was like that when I got her - thats why i got her :)

im suprised the vet didnt suggest anything furthur. it looks to be dead in parts. perhaps the image is deceiving.

miss b, i read through most of the posts. none the less the only thing not worth a mention in my post is the first line of the second paragraph.
"you need to take it to the vet"

not to mention Lil_beds comment isn't worth a mention eh? "yea i would go for a trip to the vet"

dano85, let us know how it goes, its it darkens any furthur up the tail, i suggest another vet apointment, you dont want an infection spreading especially up a spinal cord. i hope it heals up. are you going to seperate them?

Kirby it is dead, the reason the vet didnt cut it off with ours, was the treatment stops the spread of infection and the dead part falls off by its self leaveng a healed healthy end to the tail..
Though an antiseptic cream from the vet will be better than betadine (sp)

but a cream or rinse will only disinfect and clean the skin etc. if a human sized lizard dug its teeth into my forearm, and it was dead/infected. you would treat it with betadine or an antibac cream. assuming the dead flesh/tail has an infection. hopefully it doesnt/wont have one.

well anyway, i hope it heals well for you, dont leave it too late if it does spread. ;)

(my point for this post was, if there were an infection, no amount of skin and surface antibac and cleaning meds will deal or prevent the spread of an internal infection within the tail. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back