Help!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

childs

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a golden spiney tail gecko its only a juvinile. The problem is its just had a shed and its front feet have come off with the old skin. He only has stumps. I have 4 other juvies and they are all fine. Can anyone tell me if they know whats wrong with this guy or have experienced anything like this?
Cheers Childs

As you would know reptiles shed their skin as they grow, with the old skin being replaced with a new, larger skin. Sometimes reptiles, in particular lizards, will not completely shed their old skin for whatever reason (usually humidity issues or damaged scales) so the old skin remains. As the animal grows the old skin will become tighter and tighter until eventually the blood circulation is cut off and the limbs simply die. Think of it as if you were still wearing baby socks, they would be so tight that no blood would be able to get to your feet. That is probably what has happended here. Check your remaining geckos to ensure they aren't having any problems shedding, particularly around the feet/toes and tail. Everytime an animal sheds you should check to make sure all of the old skin has come off, if it hasn't then you need to remove it yourself by soaking the animal in tepid water until the skin is loose enough to be peeled off gently. It should only be done when the skin is loose, ripping it off if it is still stuck tight will cause more damage then good.

Hi,
Thanks Mr Bredli, Id say yeah this is what has happened. The little guy doesnt get aronud to well and is off its food so things dont look to good. But thanks heaps i'll check my other guys.
Cheers childs

A little hard to photograph the guy usually tucks them under his body

common problem

This is a problem with all lizards in captivity.
Mine included.
This is my theory.
When they are in the wild and shedding they probably go over many types of surfaces so on the day of shedding they can start out early, when nightime condensation keeps the skin soft, and travel over or rub against lots of objects, walk through water and cause the tiny scales to be removed completely every time.
I have a bluey who has lost some toe ends and I blame the cage they are in .
The surface is slippery plastic so I put rubber matting in and a brick which wont move about when they try to rub against it.
I have not catered for the feet adequately during shedding and so there are toes missing.
The old skin has been left on and cut off circulation.
You probably need huge cages with varying substrate which is not always possible.
When you notice them shedding you can always put them in a plastic box. Holes in the lid and a tiny amount of warm water in it so that it does not touch the lizard 's mouth if it puts it's head down to rest and wait 20 minutes until the skin is so soft that it can be removed by you easily without the lizard feeling a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back