Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with 'ace'. One of my first snakes was a hybrid (or more specifically- a variegated). She was the most beautiful snake you could imagine, in both looks and behaviour. She taught many school children about our lovely pythons and that not all snakes are 'bad'. Many of those kids now have pythons of their own.
I find it quite amusing that some people out there get their nose so crookedly out-of-joint over such a trivial matter. :lol:
Treat every snake as an individual, see their merits.
Remember the old adage - 'Nobody's Perfect'.
But i do agree - what a load of codswollop!!

So what would you breed an intergrage with? a diamond or a carpet.......or are they a different subspecies due to location.......??????

What about the jack-*** Cross of a horse and a donkey...2 different species bred to create a new species.........why is this possible with some animals but not others??????

If you hybridise snakes they turn into martians who will steal your car, so it's bad.

I win, right? We're all having a competition to see who can produce the most ridiculous post, right?

Imagine creating a beautiful natural looking set up to show off your wonderful collection of Australian native animals only to find out ................

Oh, and as for natural selection - well, mynah birds and cane toads are taking good care of that so that is a crap argument as well.

Like Jonno said, breeding by location in most cases will guarantee the purity of your animals in the long run. People tend to forget that taxonomy is a classification system put in place by humans, not nature itself. The best we can do is make educated guesses at this point as to how to classify and group these animals, with opinions varying from taxonomist to taxonomist. With the introduction of DNA sequencing its taking a little of the guess work out but theres still a long way to go. Our undertstanding of the natural world is constantly evolving, theres bound to be many changes made in future as new theories are tested and more insight gained......and thats the extent of my knowledge on taxonomy :lol:

Anyway, steering away from the subject a bit, where were we? Oh yeah....what a load of poop :lol:
Jordan

Well, how about another "intergrade", so crazy it just might work eh...
Just curious as they are not coastals or diamonds they are a morph between the 2, from what I understand, and therefor a totally different subspecies naturally occuring between the two locations. That would mean that every intergrade would be a different subspecies which looking at this thread would be a no no.......So if we are going to the nitty gritty of it another intergrade puts it in the possible hybrid region and not liked....

ozianimals,

You are correct. There is no defined line between where many subspecies start, and where they stop. Some academics even argue that subspecies are far too variable to accurately describe them taxonomically. For this reason, breeding animals true to their locality is highly advantageous.

Sorry to hijack the thread but.....
Jonno just curios as I have a legally WC coastal (as it is on the books) but I think it is an intergrade which would mean that I have to go back to the same area as the original to get a proper mate for her is that right?

I agree with 'ace'. One of my first snakes was a hybrid (or more specifically- a variegated). She was the most beautiful snake you could imagine, in both looks and behaviour. She taught many school children about our lovely pythons and that not all snakes are 'bad'. Many of those kids now have pythons of their own.
I find it quite amusing that some people out there get their nose so crookedly out-of-joint over such a trivial matter. :lol:
Treat every snake as an individual, see their merits.
Remember the old adage - 'Nobody's Perfect'.
But i do agree - what a load of codswollop!!

Writting in green is bad

And yes green writing is bad, I think I had a seizure trying to make out the words!

ROFL...... the crap falling depends on what you personally and subjectively think stinks. Doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong.

If something can interbreed and have breeding offspring, then they are obviously the same species anyway. I suppose all people that pledge death to hybrids also start protesting at intermarriage of humans as well.

And lastly, what makes a species stronger? Interbreeding or an ever larger population with different traits? Gee must be rocket science.

If you only think you had a seizure then you should stop rolling around on the floor while you are reading.

So what would you breed an intergrage with? a diamond or a carpet.......or are they a different subspecies due to location.......??????

What about the jack-*** Cross of a horse and a donkey...2 different species bred to create a new species.........why is this possible with some animals but not others??????

An *** is just another term for a donkey - not a hybrid/cross or anything... I think you are thinking of a mule.

Mules, Ligers and Tigons (lion/tiger crosses) and similar are usually infertile which suggests maybe nature has a problem with such crosses...

I can see why some people want hybrids, we live in Australia! Our reptile hobby is restricted to Australian animals.

ROFL...... the crap falling depends on what you personally and subjectively think stinks. Doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong.

If something can interbreed and have breeding offspring, then they are obviously the same species anyway. I suppose all people that pledge death to hybrids also start protesting at intermarriage of humans as well.

And lastly, what makes a species stronger? Interbreeding or an ever larger population with different traits? Gee must be rocket science.

So Woma's and Carpets are the same species? Water Pythons and Scrubs? Colletts and Mulga/Spotted Blacks? Pogona vitticeps and Pogona barbata? Antaresia maculosa/childreni/stimsoni? Acanthophis wellsi and Acanthophis pyrrhus? Acanthophis antarcticus and Acanthophis praelongus? Hoplocephalus stephensi/bungaroides/bitorquatus? They're all obviously the same species?

Your analogy of hybridising as been the same as mixed-race marriages was disproved several posts ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back