Blueys and Beardies together?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymike

Reaction score
hey guys, yes i have already posted this but with only 1 reply, i think the name i used didnt attract much attention

Now this is prob a stupid question...

What would happen if i put my blueys in with my beardies....

now dont worry i aint going to do it unless im sure it will be ok.... but i am curious if different species can live together happily?

I think you could keep them together in a pit or a large enclosure and they would have to be feed pretty well.

i wouldnt, they come from different areas, have different needs, different temps and different diets. this means you cant exsactly leave a plate of greens, or snails in for the other species to eat.

rarely will you find two species of reptile mix or live happily together inthe wild. barbata, w. dragons and jacky's (those in my area) do not live int he same area's. they dont mix, nor to do they live happily together, altot of herpers have notices this including raymond hoser. i too can see this happen in my own back yard. we have a blue tongue, to the side, around the pool in the leaf little. garden skinks in the mondo grass entertainment area/under to house. water dragon on the rocks, around the spa. then theres the occasional monitor int he tree's. now this seems in close proximity, but with walls and lines of tree's they dont really see each other, nor do they come out at the same times.

skinks scatter around unseen all day, the bluey is an early basker, then disapears. and the dragons come out late after noon, and quite often dont show up soome days.

on a larger scale. kuring gai national park is scattered with jacky's, and surrounding suburbs youll find water dragons, and after that (the beach front) you will find jacky's again.

i dont think its a good idea, they could both give each other a headache of injuries..

"i think the name i used didnt attract much attention" i think this is because the question has been answered several hundred times.. :lol:

A while ago I decided to show my female water dragon our newest addition after we bought him. A juvie bluey. I took him over to her enclosure, and showed her through the glass (she is always so curious about everything!). She flipped out and ran away, falling over everything in her haste to get away. My boyfriend walked into the room (he owned the water dragons before I met him) and got a bit cranky with me for doing it. I asked him why, and he said that years ago he tried to put a bluey with the water dragons. All was well for a few days, until the bluey got cranky and bit the female water dragon on the leg, breaking it. She remembered it, and now I can't have the bluey tank anywhere near her without her getting upset. I am not sure how well it would work in a really big enclosure with lots of hides, but I am sure everyone else will let you know. All I can say is in my experience, it wasn't a good idea.

thanks kirby

whats your conclusion?

with an outdoor pit, you can easily put a wall, or wire mesh between two halfs of the enclosure. a simple barrier.

and in an indoor enclosure, your not exsactly saving room, as you should give each animal 4x2 square feet each, you may as well put a divider in. keep them safe and happy.

I kept my beardie in with 2 blueys in a largish indoor enclosure with no dramas in the 3months they were together. They would sit under the light together and even eat from the same bowl..

This was only temporary until i finished the beardies enclosure but the blueys have moved to an outside enclosure now and the beardie goes in with them for an hour or so each day to get some sun, again, with no problems..

They were all pretty much fully grown when introduced to each other so maybe this helped things work better:? I guess it depends on the lizards themselves as to wether it would work, if you do it watch them cerefully as Blueys bites HURT!!! and they don't let go sometimes:lol:

Ben

Last edited:
Does anyone have any success/disasters with keeping adult Water Dragons with Adult Beardies? I have a very large indoor enclosure that is about 5m x 5m square floor space and up to the roof high. My boyfriend converted half of our sunroom. We have a male and female adult water dragons in there at the moment, and he wants to put some adult beardies in there. I'm not sure about mixing them. They get UV through the opened window (fly screened of course), and there is a basking lamp in there for them. There are tons of plants and other stuff in there for hiding. The enclosure stays pretty warm most of the time as the sun shines in. Any thoughts?

ana dult grows much longer than an adult beardies. could be an easy snack, and the humidity and plantation may cause RI inthe beardie..

re Blueys

Ive kept bluetongues and bearded dragons together for years,no drama whatsoever,the beardys benefit from being outside eating cockroaches and grass etc.

Hi

I had some juvenile water dragons with a pair of blotched blueys for several years and the blotches bred twice for me, no dramas ever noticed by me, but I didn't feed them insects, this could cause a problem.

I've noticed a bluey wants the insect his friend has caught, it's easier.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back