What is a tyre kicker?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When i have sold animals my favourite line is "can i pay it off like a layby"? Sure you can, i am running a Kmart here!

Simone.

I get that all the time in my pet store. And I am the one who looks like the cow because I won't allow it.

If you don't know whether you want to buy an animal, surely you can research it yourself rather than expecting the breeder to tell you all about them? You only have to do it once, and you learn something too, the breeder may have to answer those questions 100 times per clutch and get nothing out of it.
A tyre kicker is generally someone who asks lots of questions, asks for pics, info etc and has no intention of buying at the end of the process.
If you don't trust the person, pics don't help, there is no way of knowing if they are their own pics (it's been done before).
No one expects 100% of initial enquiries to end up in sales, but if you back out, explain why. If you don't think you want to buy it, say that at the start.
The most annoying ones IMO are the people that string you out for days / weeks with questions then say "I can't afford $200 right now, will you take $125?" If you can't / don't want to pay the price, don't even send an email!

I agree with Magpie in particular. If you want to buy an animal it is still as much your responsibility to do some research and and know what you're buying before you start stuffing anyone around. But on the other hand, I too, have made general enquiries about different species with uncertainty of whether or not I will buy something. If I have to feel obliged to buy just because I've made an enquiry then I won't deal with pushers. Research tells you how big an animal grows and suitable environment but its the ppl with the experience that can tell me what the animal's habits are and can offer me advice as to whether that would suit what I am looking for.

You'll always come across tyre kickers, an they must realise that while they are undecisive the buyer has the right to sell it to someone else.

as far as "can't afford it right now" , that sounds like me. I want everything NOW but don't have the money. I am patiently waiting out Southern Cross's 2 year queue for 4 snakes that I could have gotten cheaper elsewhere, but with them I am guaranteed true pairs, and can pay them off rather than missing out because I need the money NOW.

Plenty of different ways to view this topic.

I don't see whats wrong with asking to pay off an animal, or enclosure like lay-by. I have asked a couple of people for this for the more expensive stuff. I've given the dates and amounts that will be paid, and there was never any problems - they were happy with that. I am absolutly hopeless at saving money, but I always pay what I owe (or promise to pay), when I say i'm going to. Thanks to the sellers that do allow this, I wouldn't have the beautiful things that I love so dearly if I couldn't buy this way :)

i agree jozz, i have bought a few things like this.....

however, you dont get the goods til its all paid
and if you pull out you dont get a refund of what u have already paid...

simple

Jozz,

The individual i am referring to is somebody ( and i know i am not the only one here) who felt sorry for the guy and accepted him paying it off bit by bit. But after 6 months of $20 here and $20 there you get jack of it.

This guy even sent an abusive email to a guy who had questioned him as to why he hadn't made a payment in 6 weeks.

I for one would not want to sell to a person who does that, in inparticular while paying off what would be a small amount then asks for it to be discounted too.

I am happy to send people a deposit so they know i am not stuffing them around while imports come etc....but paying it off little by little. NO WAY

Simone.

yeah i see where your coming from simone.... thats not on!!

when i say pay things off i mean $200 1 week, $100 the next and then the final $500 the week after....

$20 here and there is not good!

when i say pay things off i mean $200 1 week, $100 the next and then the final $500 the week after....

Exactly. With something like you have said i don't have an issue with. I know it took a guy 6 months to get his 800 for a bhp he was selling to this individual i am bitching about. During which time this person told the seller about all the other animals he had just bought. lol, the poor bugger didn't know what to say.

I must admit its just as bad when sellers agree to sell something and then at the last minute don't sell to you because someone else has offered to buy the clutch or because someone closer has offered to buy instead. If they don't want to sell then no worries, but do so before you get the permits etc. That way i can go and splurge my money on some other form of reptilian. :)

Simone.

Thats what I mean too.

I can understand that not being cool Simone.

another thing i hate and its happened on here before....
Is that ive agreed with someone to buy something for a price they have asked.... i didnt knock them down or anything....
then the next day i get a PM, sorry someone offered me more money so im taking that instead.....
bloody lucky i hadnt done the bank transfer yet!
that REALLY REALLY annoyed the hell outa me!
and i'll never buy off them or sell to them ever again.

Is that ive agreed with someone to buy something for a price they have asked.... i didnt knock them down or anything....
then the next day i get a PM, sorry someone offered me more money so im taking that instead.....

Thats not on. Once the price is agreed both parties are obliged to stick to it.

Ive had a recent purchase pre-arranged and after a week the seller decided to ask for 20% more. Guess what, I bought better elsewhere :D

That is truely slack and should be illigal.

I had a lady come in yesterday who left a broken fishtank with me 12 months ago. I had a replacement ready for her, yesterday she comes in and yells and screams and went off her head because I had sold it after 12 months sitting taking up space in my shop. She was furious and telling me it was a $200 that she paid for and I had no right to sell it. Am I meant to hold things forever? In the meantime she'd walked past the shop all year round and not bothered to stop and get it, we called her she didn't want to come and get it. She is one hell of a tyre kicker.

I don't know what it is about me but ppl seem to treat me like I have no rights at all. I have 2 layby items in my shop also, that have been there for 6 months or more, ppl pay $5 a fortnight, but if I send them a reminder that their layby is overdue, they tell me to lump it or they'll demand a refund and go somewhere else.

but if I send them a reminder that their layby is overdue, they tell me to lump it or they'll demand a refund and go somewhere else.

I'd send them a final notice and tell them to lump it and that there is NO refund, and if they dont come collect the item within 14 days the layby will be gone and sold to someone else!!

go try and do that at a big department store and they will do the above.... so there is no reason you cant to!

stick it up them..... they have no right to treat you like that!

I don't see whats wrong with asking to pay off an animal, or enclosure like lay-by. I have asked a couple of people for this for the more expensive stuff. I've given the dates and amounts that will be paid, and there was never any problems - they were happy with that. I am absolutly hopeless at saving money, but I always pay what I owe (or promise to pay), when I say i'm going to. Thanks to the sellers that do allow this, I wouldn't have the beautiful things that I love so dearly if I couldn't buy this way :)

I think it is a bit much to ask. Most people buying expensive herps have been around long enough to have a fair idea of how the market operates and that most animals come on the market between December and around April. While I understand that everyone has cash flow pressures it should be up to them to gather the money from April to December (put it in a jar if you really want). $50 a week will buy you a pair of Womas in the current market.

Granted, there are some really special animals that come up out of the blue, but I would have to question how prepared someone is to house a new animal if they can't afford to buy it outright. I think it demonstrated a lack of forethought.

IMO..anyone that doesn't show common courtesy will never own one of my animals, if they cannot show courtesy to another person...how will they have enough common sense to take care of an animal .. lucxy I don't come across those types very often

I think it is a bit much to ask. Most people buying expensive herps have been around long enough to have a fair idea of how the market operates and that most animals come on the market between December and around April. While I understand that everyone has cash flow pressures it should be up to them to gather the money from April to December (put it in a jar if you really want). $50 a week will buy you a pair of Womas in the current market.

Granted, there are some really special animals that come up out of the blue, but I would have to question how prepared someone is to house a new animal if they can't afford to buy it outright. I think it demonstrated a lack of forethought.

I agree with you Chimera, I would also be concerned about a persons ability to afford vet bills at short notice if they are having to pay off small amounts each week etc. I will not even purchase an animal unless i have the cash for it and two vet visits. It may not be necessary but i don't want to be stuck with a sick pet and no cash for the vet.

I have a whole new understanding of tyre kickers recently & I don't know how you lot (sellers) cope with the stress. In the last month or so we have wasted 3 whole Saturdays waiting for people that don't even bother showing up or call to let us know they won't be coming. As well as numerous childish txt messages which I can barely read let alone intelligently answer, what ever happened to a phone call:rolleyes:. I have no problems at all with answering questions or providing pics for people that are genuinely interested but I don't understand why some people are so determined to see your animal & organize pick up then don't even show up. One person even told me I was rude for not wanting to freight my repiles to another state & that if I wasn't willing to do that then I shouldn't have it up for sale:shock: Selling a few reptiles has definately been a massive eye opener for me & I have a whole new respect for sellers thats for sure.

I agree with you Chimera, I would also be concerned about a persons ability to afford vet bills at short notice if they are having to pay off small amounts each week etc. I will not even purchase an animal unless i have the cash for it and two vet visits. It may not be necessary but i don't want to be stuck with a sick pet and no cash for the vet.

I completely disagree with both of you. All my animals are cared for very well. If anything goes wrong, vet bills aren't a problem. And enclosures are set up before the animal arrives.

If you read the previous posts, we're not talking about small amounts here and there. As I said, i cannot save, not in a jar, not in a bank - cannot do it. But I get paid very well, and can easily afford things if I can pay them off :)

I completely disagree with both of you. All my animals are cared for very well. If anything goes wrong, vet bills aren't a problem. And enclosures are set up before the animal arrives.

If you read the previous posts, we're not talking about small amounts here and there. As I said, i cannot save, not in a jar, not in a bank - cannot do it. But I get paid very well, and can easily afford things if I can pay them off :)

Jozz,
no disrespect, but why should your inability to save be the sellers responsibility?
If I wanted to get into finance it wouldnt be through selling reptiles.

Get a loan, or credit card or whatever from someone who wants to lend you money (bank) and take on the responsibility yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back