Funnelweb in pet shop

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You obviously have little experience with Atrax or Hadronyche spp. Jordan, and have certainly never had one use a milking pipette as a ladder to the fingers holding it...

Is that a boast David? Id say theres very few people in Australia or even the world that milk Atrax and/ or Hadronyche so no, i havent had one run up a pipette :rolleyes:
I stand by what i said, and if you cant stop one bolting up a milking pipette you shouldnt be handling them in the first place. They may be dangerous if unseen or handled incorrectly but they dont compare to highly mobile, unpredictable species. All it takes is common sense.

Quite an ignorant comment from a 'respected' toxinologist/ taxonomist.
Cheers
Jordan

Hi Jordan,

It's not a boast, it's a fact. Ask someone like Lyn Abra or Robyn Worrell who've both spent a lifetime working with funnel webs just how agile Atrax can be if you're not prepared to accept my word for it.

But to be honest, If you don't have the common sense to take the advice of someone who was milking Atrax robustus at the ARP before you were even born, then mate, there is no point in me offering you any advice at all. You may think you know what you are talking about, but your words are a dead give away to how truly ignorant you are of the potential these spiders have for sudden, fast, deliberate movements.

Statements such as
Atrax robustus might have potent venom, but they could never be classed as a dangerous animal.
are completely irresponsible. These ARE extremely dangerous spiders, and you don't have to take my word for it, anyone with real experience working with them will tell you so as well. They not a species suitable to be kept as "pets", and only the most experienced Arachnophobes should be considering keeping them.

But what would I know...

Cheers

David

hi Jordan.
I am one of theses few people you talk about that have milked the funnel web spider and I'm not the only one,there would be more people than you think that have milked them,without people like myself and others how do you think they manage to produce the antivenom,and actually there are people who also milk them in the states.as well
what David says is correct .the funnel web is a extremely venomous spider and yes you do need common sense to milk theses spiders why ? because they are dangerous.just as you would need common sense to handle any venomous snake.All spiders are different and have their own personanlities and they can be unpredictable but also in saying that if you milk the same spider for period of time you get to know its little traits,but they are and can be unpredictable and yes they are mobile if need be,
so unless you have ever milked a funnel web worked with funnel webs or cared for them its really hard to say what they are like..

Hi David

Ive dealt with Funnel Webs in the past, if only A robustus. They are highly venomous animals but not dangerous in my opinion unless your a half wit. The milking scenario isnt even relavent to the conversation as no one keeping these animals in a recreational sense will be milking them and putting themself in harms way. Obviously regular close contact is going to increase the chances of being bitten but its the same for any venomous animal.

At no time did i recommend people keep them as pets, but merely mentioned 2 more suitable species if he was going to try. I dont think everyone should be keeping them, just as i dont think everyone should be able to deal with venomous snakes. You have to put things into perspective, its a spider in an enclosure. The only time you are at risk is while putting your hands into the enclosure, this in itself does not need to be done regularly or at all with the right tools and some common sense.

Ultimately i didnt ask for your advice, you chose to give it. Theres obviously a difference of opinion and that isnt going to change. True, i may not have had as much experience as you 'oh great one' but that doesnt alter whats plain to see.

These ARE extremely dangerous spiders, and you don't have to take my word for it, anyone with real experience working with them will tell you so as well.

Yes, they are extremely dangerous if you get bitten. The chances of which are low providing you know the animal is there to start with and arent showing off your new spider to your buddies. Careful and minimal handling is all it takes. Ive kept Atrax, Missulena, Aname, Chenistonia etc. since i was a kid and havent been bitten by a captive animal yet.

All that said, they arent for everyone and if your looking to keep them to compensate for the size of your manhood look elsewhere.
Cheers
Jordan

Hi All,
We have spent yesterday and today filming with "Bugging with Rudd" and he states that the Northern funnel-web is the most venomous spider in the world. He came all this way especially just to film one.
He seems to know his stuff and it was great fun!
We also filmed scorpians, centipedes and bird eaters. Plus a few surprises.
Should be on in a few months.
Cheers
Brian

hi Jordan.
I am one of theses few people you talk about that have milked the funnel web spider and I'm not the only one,there would be more people than you think that have milked them,without people like myself and others how do you think they manage to produce the antivenom,and actually there are people who also milk them in the states.as well
what David says is correct .the funnel web is a extremely venomous spider and yes you do need common sense to milk theses spiders why ? because they are dangerous.just as you would need common sense to handle any venomous snake.All spiders are different and have their own personanlities and they can be unpredictable but also in saying that if you milk the same spider for period of time you get to know its little traits,but they are and can be unpredictable and yes they are mobile if need be,
so unless you have ever milked a funnel web worked with funnel webs or cared for them its really hard to say what they are like..

Falcon69,

Thats great, im well aware of how antivenene is produced ;) Read previous post.....

Cheers
Jordan

i was keeping a female funnel web recently in a plastic tub ful of moist dirt out of intrest
she was extremely aggresive
fed her a cicada
let her go after a few weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back