blue tongue HELP PLEASE!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRIMACO

Reaction score
I now have 2 blue tongues, hopefully a future breeding pair. The female (cross my fingers that she is a girl) is 50cm nose to tail long and the boy ( crossing fingers, toes and eyes for this one) is only 35cm nose to tail. they are in separate tanks.
**I need to know how big he needs to be before I can put them together with out her beating up on him?
**She is 2.5 years old and I have no idea how old he is, does anyone know what age he needs to be to breed?
**lastly what size tank do you recomend for 2 full size bluey?
I am new to this so I need some help from all you wise, wonderful people.:?:D
</IMG></IMG>

Glad you are asking, I could do with some bluey info too. Have you checked out www.bluetongueskinks.net ? They recommend not keeping blueys together at all! Kirby is the lizard king - he might be able to help...

and Colin is all yours if you want him, peas and all!!!
:lol::lol::lol:

i caught a blue tounge today at work i was cutting metal on the guillotine when the lil bastard bit my boot i picked him up and put him in a mates toolbox lmao.................bump

bump
please there must be someone who has bluey with advice.

i keep my blues outside and a breeding trio together inside (one adult male one adult female and an sub adult female) together and i have no problems with aggression until breeding season in which i separate the male from the female so that he does not cause her excess harm. sounds like your pair would be ready to breed next season you may want to feed up the male a bit as he will have to over power the female.. the site mentioned above is a very good site and you should read through the care sheet. as it explains most aspects of keeping blues and has a few videos to. it also gives a pretty good overview to decide upon the sex of your blue tongue. so far useing those methods plus one other method mentioned in a german blue tongue text. i have not been wrong so far. knock on wood.

cheers
H.

Tiliqua scincoides intermedia can have a propensity to be aggressive to each other. This ssp is closer in attitude to the majority of animals kept overseas thus the advice on Bluetongueskink.net.
All other Australian species of Tiliqua seem to get on peacably together but on occasions individuals will fail to thrive due to stress under group conditions.

a 3 - 4ft tank should be fine to try and stop and fighting from the begining put a few hiny holes and keep them well fed.

Thanks, I did look at the web site above and apart from it being american and recommending to keep them separate it is not bad. most people are saying that he is big enough to go in with her so I will start to introduce them to each other outside of the enclosures under supervision and see how they go. I will start to feed him up to give him the upper hand when they do start living together so wish me luck.

if u have easterns,they should be fine together now,northerns can be quite aggressive though,hence the keep seperate part,lol,most of my blueys are kept in groups,never had aggresion probs,though the males can fight a bit over the breeding season,usuall blotchies with me,i keep my adult blotchys outdoors,and there are alot of males in there,but yeah they only get nippy chasey for a week or so over the breeding season,usually the younger males that do the aggressive chase of other males,the older ones put them in there place and concentrate on actually mating,good luck with them

Bluetongues can fight at any size or sex, Male / male fighting is reasonably common, even in easterns. I have a male eastern that tried to kill my trio of shingles when I put them in the aviary for some sun one day, even the females. Speaking of Shingles, one of my females attacked the other female in a one off altercation last year, leaving her with a bleeding head. It comes down alot to the individual personality of each lizard, I'd suggest you only put them together when they are the same size, at least then if there is a problem, they both have a fighting chance.

Our female bluey has beaten up 2 males so far one died :( and the other was on death row. She is a beast of a thing, our main problem was when food was around she would just go nuts and they seemed to miss out and if they tried they copped it. We only noticed it when it we fed them on the weekend and sat around to watch them cause usually we did it in the morning and went to work. So now they are seperate and he is getting better. so i think it;s like most herp rules try and see not all herps are the same. :)

I had them out together today and they just walked all over each other and showed no signs of stress. I think I will give supervised visits only for the moment but no hissing or fighting was a good sign for me. If any one has any educated guesses or ideas on the sex of them I would love to hear it. I know how much you guys like picks so here you go.
:D

Attachments

• brock ally 004a.JPG
    brock ally 004a.JPG
    478.8 KB · Views: 51
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back