Mum backs dog, chides son for pulling ears before mauling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was mum...I would be taking that as a warning! Next time an attack will be much worse!

Hmmmm, there seems to be some heated agreement on this topic! Very unusual for this site.

I think we need someone to come on and blame all mastiff owners or something to spark up a bit of debate! :lol:

With the risk of ppl despising me, i see the mothers perspetive. I have quite a few dogs and no children yet but my dogs are like my children, and i would find it hard to give the dog up in all honesty. As i come from a large family that consists of about 13 young kids and about 24 dogs, i no very well what children can be like.

I agree all the way with the mum
It wasn't the dogs fault, they just snap sometimes.... how would you like someone tugging on your ears? I think you would bite back too... but the mother should care a little bit more for the child

ok some ppl say that the boy didnt know any better but then if you choose that arguement then either did the dog.
the behaviour the dog showed was the same behaviour she would show to her own pups if they annoyed her but unfortunatly our skin in tight fitting and we do not have fur to help protect us from such bites.
i believe the mother is doing the right thing and no one should tell her otherwise as we do not know the animal and/or the events that happened on this day in question.

my dogs are like my children, and i would find it hard to give the dog up in all honesty.

That's exactly how I feel about my pets. I'm childfree by choice, so there won't be any child/pet conflicts in my future.

It wasn't the kids fault, it wasn't the dogs fault. It was the mothers fault. A two year old child should never be left to play with a dog, it's as simple as that. Those of you who are attached to your dogs and say you see the mother's point of view and could never give your dog up - at the end of the day, that's your call, but in keeping the dog and allowing the child near it this mother is putting her son at risk of being fatally attacked.

We had a Great Dane x Dobermann when I was a small child, and the whole family loved him to death. But he developed an aggressive nature and would growl at my brother and I without even being provoked. My parents weren't willing to take any chances, and they removed the dog from the house immediately. That's the responsible thing to do, at least in my opinion.

Personally I want to bash the crap out of the arrogant mother.
I dislike people like that so much.........to them evolution should just say NO!

I can't help but wonder why such a young child was playing with the dog with out adult supervision. If I were in that position i'd feel like a lousy mother for letting that happen in the first place. Poor kid

I dont side with either child or animal.
Even with adult supervision things like that can happen quickly, but most animals will not attack without reason or some warning first, like a growl or light nip for a dog, a hiss, waving of the tail, cranky meaw or light nip for a cat, if the family members know the animals body language the risk can be reduced. Parents need to teach their kids the warning signs and what not to do to an animal, dogs ears are sensitive and most dont like them being pulled. Dogs are pack animals and need to be trained and taught their "place" in the pack (family), and kids need to be taught how to treat animals.
Spikie want a cricket is right it was natural behaviour and if it was a pup the same thing would have happened.
Some breeds of dogs have better tempraments with kids than others and parents could always research this before buying.

I bet the kid learnt his lesson though and wont do it again.

Firedragon and others, the kid may have learnt his lesson, but what happens next time the idiot mother takes the dog out to the shops, ties her up outside the supermarket and the dog goes for another kid who 'hasn't' learnt his lesson??? My daughter is nearly 3 and has know for about a year to never approach a strange dog unless I say its OK - but many parents from non-dog backgrounds would never have thought to teach their children basic dog safety.

And I do believe that dogs which are specifically bred for hunting and fighting (pitbulls, tosas etc) should have restrictions placed on their ownership, in the same way venomous snakes are regulated; muzzled when in public places, kept in secure, exit- and entry-proof enclosures so kids can't get in and dogs can't get out. And I believe that ANY dog, regardless of breed, that shows a pattern of violent behaviour towards dogs or people should be destroyed.

I adore dogs and have had dogs as pets all my life, but realistically, they are NOT people, and if they endanger people's lives, for whatever reason (poor training , neglect and abuse as a pup etc), as sad as it may be, that danger should be eliminated.

Honestly, I don't understand the need for anyone to have one of these restricted dogs except as a status symbol (or for hunting, but that makes them effectively a working dog and they should be treated as such) There are so many breeds of dogs out there, I defy anyone to name one attribute that a pitbull has, that can't be found in another dog breed which won't cause as much damage if it attacks. Loyalty? Get a German Shepherd, border collie, or pretty much any breed of dog! Friendliness? Labrador, Golden retriever. Active and great with kids? Boxer, Jack Russell. Guard dog? Pretty much any big dog with a deep bark!

I don't understand what it is (apart from the ability to inflict horrific amounts of damage with excessively strong jaws) that is unique to a pitbull.

In the interests of full disclosure, the breeds I have owned include: Dalmation, English Pointer, Cocker Spaniel (mum's not mine!) and Labrador. :D

Mothers fault.

Dog and Child innocent.

End of story ;)

Jessb, you realise that over 1/3 of dogs are hunting dogs. Would you like vermin hunters muzzled? Perhaps you should join the RSPCA and start campaigning for BSL. You'd make an excellent spokesperson.

I always promise myself I won't come into dog threads on here. Far too many of you are ignorant when it comes to dogs and don't understand the way a dog thinks and responds.

Personally I want to bash the crap out of the arrogant mother.
I dislike people like that so much.........to them evolution should just say NO!

How has the mother been arrogant? She's made her decision, which is hers to make and no one elses, and has justified it to herself.

I don't let my kids play with an animal that has the capacity to kill them.

Mothers fault.

Dog and Child innocent.

End of story ;)

Jessb, you realise that over 1/3 of dogs are hunting dogs. Would you like vermin hunters muzzled? .

And those that wern't bred for hunting or fighting were usually bred from hunting or fighting dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back