Native, fresh water fish.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've kept mouth almighty (very briefly ;) )

mouthalmighty.jpg

I wouldn't be keeping Pig-nosed with other turtles. They can be extremely aggressive
to other turtles especially as sub-adults and adults. Someone we know had an adult rugosa torn apart by a Pig-nosed turtle (which was much smaller than the rugosa) while he was at work.

Fair enough then.

We have a 10,000 litre tank that has native fish that breed in there. We have rainbows (Crimson spotted-M.duboulayi), large Empire gudgeons, Eel-tailed Catfish, Purple spotted Gudgeons, Olive Perchlets(glass fish) and Fly specked Hardy Heads. The tank also has Irwin's turtles (which are the best looking snapping turtles in Australia), Eastern snake-necked turtles and Macleay River turtles. Mr Spike just recently had a dive in it and hand fed the turtles which is my favourite past-time. The water is crystal clear with a sand and river rock substrate with lots of logs for the turtles and fish to hide amongst.
Expansa1

That's awesome. 10,000 litres. :shock: Do you have a camera?

Hmm. Perhaps I'll be a little more forward. Want to post some pics? ;)

lol whats that saying

pics or it didnt happen

is it a glass tank? if so how big is it? 12ft by 4ft?

what sort off filters are you running

dan

Here's 6 pics of my 10,000 litre taken with my underwater camera. The lighting isn't terrific as it's raining up here at the moment. The 10,000 is 1.2 metres deep X 3.6 metres wide.
Fish feeding frenzy
Fishfeedingfrenzyin10000.jpg

Adult Male and female E.irwini
Adultmaleandfemaleirwini.jpg

Closeup female irwini
adultfemalirwiniheadshot.jpg

Feedingturtlesin10000.jpg

youngfemaleirwini2.jpg

pics002-1.jpg

errr

what other aussie fish do u have there Australis
what size tanks do u own

cheers dan

Ive only got two tanks.. with..

Hardy Heads
Eel-tailed Catfish
Purple Spotted Gudgeons
Olive Perchlets
a single Empire Gudgeon
couple of Carp Gudgeon
freshwater muscle
shrimp/prawns
Rainbows... etc atm

Had some spangled perch
but as soon as they got a little
bit of size on them they raped my
other fish, bloody mongrels!

I've kept mouth almighty (very briefly ;) )

Ive kept them for around the same length of time then i imagine! :)

Expansa1

Good looking turtle/native fish set-up.

Thanks for the pics expansa. Do the turtles prey upon the fish?

lol whats that saying

pics or it didnt happen

is it a glass tank? if so how big is it? 12ft by 4ft?

what sort off filters are you running

dan

It's a poly Aquaculture tank. Only cost $1,300 delivered. We're running a 3/4 horsepower pump (on off peak so it's cheap to run) with a large system 2000 Pond filter, skimmer and 70 Watt UVB steriliser. All of this is done on tank water as we don't have town water.

Craig

Thanks for the pics expansa. Do the turtles prey upon the fish?

No the turtles don't have a chance of catching the fish. The only ones that could possibly are the Eastern snake-necks and they're too well fed and reliant on what I feed them to even worry about the fish, or long clawed shrimp that live in there.

Expansa, is that a water tank with some perspex panels fitted to view through?
Never mind, you answered it.

Expansa, is that a water tank with some perspex panels fitted to view through?

Not a water tank but made from the same material so it's UV resistant and food grade. Specifically made for the aquaculture industry.

No we haven't fitted the clear acrylic curved panel yet, but will in the near future.

It's a poly Aquaculture tank. Only cost $1,300 delivered. We're running a 3/4 horsepower pump (on off peak so it's cheap to run) with a large system 2000 Pond filter, skimmer and 70 Watt UVB steriliser. All of this is done on tank water as we don't have town water.

Craig

So could you use one of those as a saltwater aquarium as well? How big is the acrylic viewing panel that you're going to fit?

So could you use one of those as a saltwater aquarium as well? How big is the acrylic viewing panel that you're going to fit?

Yes they can be used for saltwater as well. Would be great for a shark don't you think.
I was going to put in a small curved acrylic viewing hole approx 45 cm wide, just to keep an eye on what's happening.

I've kept Australian Bass, Silver Perch, a few Gudgeon sp. and Bullrouts. I'd rate Bass as my favorite sp by far to keep, followed by Bullrouts. Silvers bullied the bass and where removed as they got bigger. I used to love holding worms 15cm above the water ( even better getting someone else to do it) water would go everywhere!

hahaha we get them at work
the get inside the floating dock when we go down there we have a work method statement just for these
Bull routs didn't no u can get them for ya tank sweeet

cheers dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back