Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there is a place in the states i think that has a snake day care thing,where he takes your snakes for a walk on a special lead if you can not find the time or dont have yr own back yard..it look really weird and dumb..you not only have to think about yr reptile getting injured but the probabilty of disease

Reptiles are not pets...they are protected native fauna and you must treat them accordingly..
get a dog if you want to take it for walks
I agree if you want to walk your animal, get a dog...... but I disagree as all of my snakes get treated like my babies not a pet and definately not like a wild snake (Protected native fauna).

As for the front or back yard, what if I live in a block of flats. The back yard is not mine..........:D This is not my situation but some did ask whats wrong with the front or back yard, Not everyone lives in a house........

just be carefull if it sees a rat!!!!!!!

just leave the front door open, it'll let its self back in when it has had enough

Of course you can, they even sell snake collars/leads now so your snake can't run (slither) off. It's great, i usually take my larger pythons for strolls during the afternoons, and i get them to crap on the front lawns of people i dislike. During the night, if i have to walk up to the shops or something, i take a Taipan with me.... for protection. Last time someone tried to mug me the bloke ended up in intensive care for 6 weeks! My Taipan got an extra juicy rat for dinner that night! :)

HAHA, very funny

Of course you can, they even sell snake collars/leads now so your snake can't run (slither) off. It's great, i usually take my larger pythons for strolls during the afternoons, and i get them to crap on the front lawns of people i dislike. During the night, if i have to walk up to the shops or something, i take a Taipan with me.... for protection. Last time someone tried to mug me the bloke ended up in intensive care for 6 weeks! My Taipan got an extra juicy rat for dinner that night! :)

Haha, Mr Bredli - you know that crush thread? Yup, you just found yourself an admirer. That was classic.

So, person wanting to take snake for walkies.... is somebody wanting to show off maybe? Somebody buy their snake for the 'wow' factor? Honestly, buy a dog. Or a baby. You can put them both on a leash.

Haha, Mr Bredli - you know that crush thread? Yup, you just found yourself an admirer. That was classic.

What's really funny about that thread is the fact that my gf actually did read it... :p:x

Last edited by a moderator:
In all states it's illegal. .

Can you please point me to the SA legislation regarding this as I can not find any such regulation. Also of note I did notice this in the NPAW Act (SA) s54 (I think thats a bit appalling);

(2) It is lawful for any person without any permit or other authority under this Act, to kill any poisonous reptile that—

(c) is, or has been, in such proximity to a person as to cause reasonable anxiety to that person.

Can you please point me to the SA legislation regarding this as I can not find any such regulation. Also of note I did notice this in the NPAW Act (SA) s54 (I think thats a bit appalling);

(2) It is lawful for any person without any permit or other authority under this Act, to kill any poisonous reptile that—

(c) is, or has been, in such proximity to a person as to cause reasonable anxiety to that person.
Do we dare go there?

The whole legislation is open to interpretation, but no, you cannot take it off your premises without a permit, movement advice or similar legislative reasoning. And it's worse for wild reptiles/wildlife.
So, short answer: No, don't take it for a walk, and also you can't kill any snake unless it is threatening your life (again open to interpretation, lol).
And believe it or not, but most of your rules are in the fine print that you accept when you get your reptile licence.

Erico,

I'm still not sure where that regulation is housed in SA as we are not required to hold a reptile license for less than two snakes per person per houshold. Further, I have failed to find anything in the licensing regulations relating to movement of reptiles or native fauna within the state.

Also on a side note (in SA), poisonous reptiles need do no more than come within close proximity to a person and cause that person anxiety (fairly easy requirement to meet). There is no requirement that it threaten life nor poses a threat of any kind beyond the perception of the person who feels anxiety.

Last edited:

Erico,

I'm still not sure where that regulation is housed in SA as we are not required to hold a reptile license for less than two snakes per person per houshold. Further, I have failed to find anything in the licensing regulations relating to movement of reptiles or native fauna within the state.

Also on a side note (in SA), poisonous reptiles need do no more than come within close proximity to a person and cause that person anxiety (fairly easy requirement to meet). There is no requirement that it threaten life nor poses a threat of any kind beyond the perception of the person who feels anxiety.

ROTFLMFAO

If you want to risk a fine, your snake getting some kind of disease or someone seeing you have herps and getting them stolen then go for it. Personally i wouldnt do it.

Well then I must be a show off, because I would love to walk down the street with my snake around my neck and freak everyone out!! That would be hilarious!!:lol:

As for taking them for a walk. No way - I go out of my way to make sure they aren't exposed to tree and grass that I'm not familiar with, not going to risk mites and disease to my babies.

Oh and yeah, and Bredlislave my pythons are PETS. They have names, personalities, food preferences, go to the vet and get wormed just like any other pet!!

Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one and they don't hold much water.

I like to promote reptile conservation... Not freaking people out! Walking down the street with a snake sounds like an "ego" trip. Your snake may get a little attention from members of the public, but what if it bites someone? What if someone tries to snatch it off you, maybe have a tug of war. Plus it is illegal, that is why we have legislation and movement permits.

That's my opinion.

Python Princess 87

I would'nt go around bragging about how misguided you are. All it takes is for someone to walk past you and get a shock, collapse etc and you are up crap creek with no paddle. It is against the law for a good reason.

Go get a budgie if you want to walk down the street with an animal on your shoulder.

Sorry people but there are far too many people with stupid comments that are giving people (new to herps) false and misleading information on this site lately. When you get your license and your reptile you are supposedly abiding by the rules of what you hold.

PP87 you are extremly misguided to think that DSE or the like people are not on this site as silent members. Who knows what is around the corner? Is it wirth risking your animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive always wondered this, as i talk about herps all the time at work, would it be ok if i just took him to show my workmates one day? they are intrigued and i wanna create an awareness that they arent all scary slithery slimey creatures that chase you and are out to bite/get you..
but i guess the answer would be the same, need a demonstrators lic or something. even though i wouldnt be getting paid? if i ever decide to bring george to work i would make sure everything ran like clockwork... or at least try to.

anyways thats my say, if you do it just to look cool you are an idiot.

Nat ;)

ive always wondered this, as i talk about herps all the time at work, would it be ok if i just took him to show my workmates one day? they are intrigued and i wanna create an awareness that they arent all scary slithery slimey creatures that chase you and are out to bite/get you..
but i guess the answer would be the same, need a demonstrators lic or something. even though i wouldnt be getting paid? if i ever decide to bring george to work i would make sure everything ran like clockwork... or at least try to.

anyways thats my say, if you do it just to look cool you are an idiot.

Nat ;)

It's a great idea, but I'm certain that your work would have a problem with the liability aspect - if your goreous snake were to (God forbid!) bite someone, your employer could be liable if they choose to sue. The likelihood is slim, but unfortunately insurance companies don't seem to see it that way...

my uni is right near a good herp vet, in order to take the snake to the vet i had to take it to a 2 hour lecture that i only stayed for an hour of.

that would probably be classified as to the vet though.

Erico,

I thought you could get ONE snake without a license. If you then wanted to sell that snake, or get another one, you have to get a license?

Also, it must be in the legislation somewhere, as when I want to use my snakes for display purposes at a location other than the address on my license, I have to get a letter of consent with the particular animals, and date etc. I too am curious where this is in the legislation. I will investigate............

In NSW I can't display the animals, only transport to sell, see a vet or breed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back