computer ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamonddan

Banned
Reaction score
can anybody tell me if i can add a graphics card to my computer if it already has one built in??
also how hard is it to remove VISTA and install XP?
also , i just got a new 22inch wide screen LCD monitor and on its sticker it has (windows vista)
does this mean it will only work with vista??
thanks and if anyone has a new edition of XP i would be willing to swap a spotted mac hatchie for it, you pay frieght if needed,,,

cant help you with the graphics card, but with vista, all you do is reformat computer and stick xp on, thats what i did with this computer, dont know about monitor sorry

the monitor will work with anything, its just a sticker microsoft get the computer companies that use their operating systems, to stick on

Legless monitor, Varanus Veegeae or V. Deeveii?

I cant see why the monitor wouldnt work, providing it has same fittings as your PC either DVI or VGA connections, or that it supports a DVI-VGA adapter(not all DVI ports have VGA, generally this is the + arrangement of pins on the side). Google the connectors if your not sure.

The sticker might refer to screen resolution being suitable or vista having drivers that make it plug and play, since windows 98' I cant imagine that being a drama.. I'd use the monitors install disks and download updates of their website to get the most resolution, quality & performance out of it. Same goes with whatever video card you may be using.

I may be able to get you a copy of XP, PM me.

Congrats on ur new monitor.

P.S. I take no liability for my advice. I'll refund u the cost of the free advice if there are any dramas. 0 : )

yes its got the dvi plug but i cant plug it into the computer because the Nvidia gforce 6150 video card is bulit in .
thats why i want to put in a new video card but not sure if it will work...ive surfed all over the net but cant seem to find the answer i need ..lol..
ps is there ment to be a disk with the monitor? i didnt get one,,,samsung 22inc ,lcd ,3000:1, 2ms

Last edited:
yes its got the dvi plug but i cant plug it into the computer because the Nvidia gforce 6150 video card is bulit in .
thats why i want to put in a new video card but not sure if it will work...ive surfed all over the net but cant seem to find the answer i need ..lol..
ps is there ment to be a disk with the monitor? i didnt get one,,,samsung 22inc ,lcd ,3000:1, 2ms

My motherboard has an onboard video card. I don't use it, I have a dedicated PCI Express card. I would be sure there would either be a jumper to disable the onboard card or it would be in your bios. What is the make and model of your motherboard?

mtherboard is ECS NETTLE2 with chipset NVIDIA mcp61

also how hard is it to remove VISTA and install XP?

I sure don't blame you for wanting to remove Vista. In my experience a retrograde step from XP!
Treats all users as idiots, trying to do something, easy in XP, takes a long way around in Vista. It will be a long time before I changeover our computers here to Vista.

ive got blitzkreig 2 pc game and vista wont run it , plus there the amount of ram itr needs. my mates 10yr computer runs faster then my new one with vista and 512ram at the moment

yeah my new computer came with vista and nothing is compatible with it so installed xp

Where are you located?
If nearby, I can come round and help you re-install Windows XP if you get a copy.

Also, I can't find any reference to your motherboard. What CPU are you running, do you know what "Socket" it is?

If you can't find that out, is it possible to get a photo of the inside of your computer? I just need to find out if it has an AGP slot, or a PCI slot for the graphics card.

And you're right about Vista running more sluggish. It takes quite a lot of power to run it smoothly. And a lot of games simply won't run under Vista, especially old ones.

Last edited:
thanks

cool ill keep you in mind,,,,heres a pic of my motherboard

Attachments

• my motherboard.jpg
    my motherboard.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 36
mtherboard is ECS NETTLE2 with chipset NVIDIA mcp61

I can't find a reference to that particular NVidia chipset on the ECS website.
Your computer isn't a HP is it?
Does your manual have any mention of disabling the video either by jumper or in the bios?

lol Fester, you just stole exactly what I wrote.

Well it seems it's a mATX board, AM2 socket, with perhaps a VIA chipset?

There's definitely a PCI-E slot there, so you can put basically any modern video card in it.

*EDIT* Don't worry about trying to disable the video if you don't have another card in already.
Plus, I think most motherboards just search for any available devices, so when you get a graphics card, there's no real need for disabling the onboard graphics card, unless you get some conflicts.

yes its a HP pesario SR5120AN with AMD sempron 3600+ its new it was only $500, and the manual tells me jakeall,,

Sweet, well now that we've confirmed the PCI slot, now all we need to know is your budget for a new graphics card.
How much RAM (memory) do you have?
If you ahve enough, then a new graphics card will run well in Vista.

found

i found this info onit ( the motherboard ) if it help
Part / Feature Specification / Support Motherboard description
  • Motherboard manufacturer's name: ECS MCP61PM-HM
  • HP/Compaq name: Nettle2-GL8E
CPU/Processor
  • Socket: AM2
  • Supports the following processors:
    • Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology
    • Athlon 64
    • Sempron
Front-side bus (FSB)
  • 2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)
Chipset
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
BIOS features
  • System BIOS core brand: Award
  • Keyboard combination to used to enter BIOS: F10
Form factor
  • Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in
Memory
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
  • Supported DIMM types:
    • PC2-4200 (533 MHz)
    • PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
    • PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
  • Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs

NOTE: *Actual available memory may be less.
Expansion slots
  • Two PCI
  • One PCI Express x16 graphics (for a graphics card)
  • One PCI Express x1 (for cards such as network, sound, tv-tuner)
Video graphics
  • Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE
  • Uses up to 256MB of PC memory (with 512MB or more total PC memory)
  • Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards*

NOTE: *Either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently.
Parallel ATA
  • One 40-pin UltraDMA 100/66/33 connector
  • Supports PIO, multi-word DMA modes
  • Supports two PATA disk drives on one PATA ribbon cable (two drives total)
Serial ATA
  • Four SATA connectors:
    • SATA1 = Black
    • SATA2 = White
    • SATA3 = Blue
    • SATA4 = Yellow

• Supports 1 SATA-150 or SATA-300 disk drive on each SATA connector
  • Speed up to 1.5Gb/sec or 3.0Gb/sec, complying with SATA 1.0 and SATA 2.0 specifications

NOTE: The faster rate of 3.0Gb/sec requires that both the hard drive and the motherboard support it. If one or the other does not support 3.0 Gb/sec, the PC negotiates down to the slower 1.5 Gb/sec.
RAID
  • Some Nettle2 models ship with RAID (model dependent)
  • nVidia's onboard RAID solution is called nVidia MediaShield Storage
  • RAID modes supported*:
    • RAID 0
    • RAID 1

NOTE: RAID 5 and 10 are not supported by this motherboard.
Onboard audio
  • 8 channel high-definition audio
  • Audio CODEC: ALC888S
Onboard LAN
  • PCI Realtek RTL8201N 10/100Mbps
Onboard USB
  • USB 2.0
  • Ten ports total
    • Four connectors on back panel
    • Four headers on motherboard support 6 additional ports/devices

NOTE: Some USB ports may not be available externally for customer use. For more information, see model specifications.
Onboard 1394
  • Type: IEEE 1394a 400Mb/s
  • VIA VT6307 controller chip
  • Two ports total
  • One port on back panel
  • One header on motherboard supporting one additional port/device
Back panel I/0
  • One PS/2 mouse port (green)
  • One PS/2 keyboard port (purple)
  • One Coaxial SPDIF out port
  • One VGA port
  • Four USB 2.0
  • One IEEE 1394a
  • One RJ-45 networking port
  • Six audio ports support 8-channel audio:
    • Line-in (light blue)
    • Microphone-in (pink)
    • Line-out (lime)
    • Center/Subwoofer-out (yellow-orange)
    • Side speaker-out (gray)
    • Rear speaker-out (black)
Internal connectors
  • One 24-pin ATX power connector
  • One 4-pin ATX power connector
  • One PATA connector
  • Four SATA connectors
  • One floppy drive connector
  • Two 12v fan connectors for CPU fan and PC fan
  • One 9-pin header for power button, reset button, power LED, and HDD LED
  • One SPDIF digital audio output header
  • One front line input connector (interrupts line input on back panel, Vista capable, requires matching front audio jack module)
  • One 9-pin audio header for headphone-out and microphone-in (yellow, Vista capable, requires matching front audio jack module)
  • Four USB headers supporting 6 additional USB 2.0 ports or devices
  • One 1394a header
  • One Intel high-definition Audio/Modem Link (not used by HP)
  • One jumper for resetting BIOS settings
  • One jumper to disable BIOS password checking
NOTE: Motherboard specifications are subject to change without notice.

Motherboard layout and photos
Figure 1: layout
c01077681.gif

Figure 2: Photograph
s

ive just put 1gig in so theres 1430 of ram ive got 1gig of ebay coming next week to add to it......i would spend up to $200 on a video card i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back